unbalanced (?) upload/download speeds

titoj

I've looked around the Web for this issue and have seen it discussed, but no reasons or solutions offered. ("That's the way it works" seems to be a common answer.) The issue comes in what seems to me to be two flavors:

No connection with seeders; dl/ul from the leechers in the swarm only. I'm uploading at a healthy rate but connected only to a number of leechers that cumulatively doesn't have the entire torrent. So once I reach the point or almost at the point where my dl matches my part of the swarm's availability, I'm limited to downloading only at the speed that the swarm's dl percentage is increasing. This leads to some very lopsided dl/ul speeds -- 1 or 2 kB/s down and over 100 kB/s (or a lot more) upload.

Does this have something to do with private trackers and only connecting with leechers who can use that tracker? Sorry if that's a stupid question, because I don't know much about the technology.

The second flavor I do have an example of right now. A torrent shows the following statistics on my client:

Health, 4 bars; Down 5.6 kB/s; Up 320 kB/s; Seeds 7(74) Peers 20(449); Ratio 5.006. Dl 52.5%; Availability 12.999.

It's been this way for several days, with some big swings in the ul/dl speed ratio but always with the ul speed substantially higher.

I usually just bail from the torrent when this happens, but decided to leave this one going to see what happened. Several days in, the general pattern hasn't changed. At one point, I throttled my upload speed to 65 kB/s to see if that would somehow goose the download speed -- for no rational reason; just trying anything that came to mind. No effect on the ul speed at all.

My Internet connection allows me to hit over 3 MB/s on some torrents.

Thanks for any advice or explanation of why this occurs and how to avoid it if possible.

Not much to say on the second flavor. Other then youtube guides will permanently taint your settings and make sure you set your settings according to your upload and the CTRL+G recomendations. Mind the case of the letter B.

First flavor, how many seeds are available?

Finally, what ISP do you have, what make and model cablemodem and router do you have?

Thanks for your replies.

Kitsoran, are you talking about Youtube recommendations for settings? If so, I've never played with any of them. And while I don't remember exactly the number of peers available in that "zero peers" scenario I mentioned, there was a substantial number -- certainly at least 10 or 20.

I have my settings in uTorrent set automatically according to the speed test (the CTRL-G you mentioned), except for the short time that I throttled the upload speed to see if anything would happen.

In the past I have tried increasing the number of allocated slots per torrent to try to attract more (or faster) seeders, which didn't seem to do anything.

My basic question, I suppose, is that I understand Bittorrent will throttle your download speed if you're not doing much in the way of uploading. Why, then, won't it go out and look for more or faster seeders to download from if I'm uploading at 20-50 times faster than I'm downloading?

I have a distributed LAN in my apartment building. Supposedly I have a 100 meg pipe, but that's shared with Internet TV, Internet phone and who knows how many other people. My ISP is not throttling bittorrent; as I said, I can see both upload and download speeds of upwards of 3 MB/s on some torrents. Speedtest to a local node usually shows speeds in the range of 30-50 megs both up and down.

In the past I have tried increasing the number of allocated slots per torrent to try to attract more (or faster) seeders, which didn't seem to do anything.
It wouldn't!

If you read the dialogue text for that setting it says UPLOAD slots. Which as in post#3 would exaccerbate the "problem"

Speedtest to a local node usually shows speeds in the range of 30-50 megs both up and down.
Which is rated in Mbps whereas uTorrent is in MBps (8b = 1B).

Mind the case of the letter B.

Hee! Took me a couple of readings to figure out what you meant. My uTorrent interface is in bytes (not sure if you can select other units), and that's what I tried to use in my first post. I don't think I slipped up with a small 'b' anywhere, but your eyes may be better than mine.

I did mean to say I can hit 3+ megabytes (MB) either up and down if I'm in a torrent with a big gun or two. Was that comment the reason for your cautionary note? If so, I typed it correctly.

Thanks.

My uTorrent interface is in bytes
Yes but ISPs and speedtest data are in bits.
My basic question, I suppose, is that I understand Bittorrent will throttle your download speed if you're not doing much in the way of uploading.
Only if you set it to do so.
Why, then, won't it go out and look for more or faster seeders to

download from if I'm uploading at 20-50 times faster than I'm downloading?

The BitTorrent method is to look for and fetch the "rarer" pieces that are available first.

You may not have slipped on that, it was just a precautionary warning as it's a common mistake. If anything less upload slots COULD help because it means your upload wont be divided up as much, however you're pretty much at the mercy of the swarm. It looks like more downloaders then seeders are about, so less bandwidth to go around.

There is an "optimistic unchoke" upload slot that keeps changing peers in an attempt to find better ones.

Also note that the CTRL+G guide uses bits so that upload from a speed test can be plugged in straight. The rest of the interface is bytes.

Archived