Possible solution to disk overload?

bobbonew

Please move this to the appropriate forum if general is not correct, thanks!

I run into the disk overloaded problem every now and then when I am downloading at max and doing some work that utilizes my hard drive. Why doesn't uTorrent utilize a computer's RAM and write to memory as a stop gap measure for disk overload? It is necessarily a complete solution as you could fill up the user's memory while the disk is overloaded, but in my experience disk overload is only temporary. With many computers running 4GB, 8GB and sometimes 16GB of ram I'd think this would be a perfect situation?

Why doesn't uTorrent utilize a computer's RAM and write to memory as a stop gap measure for disk overload?
It does. Simply increasing the cache size to 256MB solves most disk overload issues.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=74820

BUT trying to allow too much memory would create OTHER problems ESPECIALLY if the machine was not totally dedicated to a single process.

There are several threads around discussing the merits and demerits of using more memory, but as more memory is allocated it takes more and more managing and then a state of diminishing returns begins to set in.

Archived