What the hell happened to utorrent?

anon12

uTorrent is a thin client, it's for experts since the thin part implies it lacks "user friendly' UI features to do a lot of things "for-dummies" in exchange for lower memory footprint and faster operation. This means a lot of the click and point settings had to be reduced to a Firefox-like about:config interface. Simple, has a filter, easy to use... unfortunately, once in a while there's one of those huge whiners-haters mix, like you, who, instead of trying to figure it out, starts to complain and throw mud.

I've set uT myself and it's pretty clean.

t1w1s.jpg

uTorrent is a thin client,
Actually it isn't, there is no server involved. A true "Thin Client" is one where the processing is done on a server and the client part simply handles keyboard input and screen display.

The WebAPI is the "thin client" for uTorrent where input and output is passed over HTTP.

uTorrent is best described as a 'Lite' application that as you say

lacks "user friendly' UI features to do a lot of things "for-dummies" in exchange for lower memory footprint
Hence my somewhat "Tongue in cheek" feature request.

And long may the "not for dummies" continue. :)

Well, thin client can mean so many... you've tackled the basic definition, but that's not the definitive answer. In the case of BT, by thin we can refer to its resource usage in comparison to other clients.

Lite is another work for thin.

That request would severely reduce the user base of uT... we don't want that, because when we torrent, we depend on them as peers, smart of not so smart. No, using sarcasm and ignorance works better.

Lite is another work for thin.

Not in computer parlance.

'Lite' means "Lightweight" or "Reduced Features"

"Thin client" means input/output interface only

Web apps such as Wordpress, Joomla!, This forum software are "Thin clients" as all the process work is done on a server, You may be typing on your computer but ALL the work will be done by another, remote machine.

I have always used Utorrent but the recent releases have included more and more toolbars, search engine hijacks, homepage hijacks, and ads. I understand that people want to make a profit and I understand ads can pay the bills. I don't understand how the toolbars can help anyone...

Thankfully I am not one of those people that just clicks Next, Next, Next, then complains when something I didn't want got installed but I still hate when programs include toolbars. I hate it when programs want to change my homepage or search engine. I don't mind ads as long as they are unobtrusive and really, the "Featured Content" and "Pro Upgrade" ads aren't bad and they can be turned off pretty easily.

I'll keep using uTorrent until it stops downloading or the ads become overwhelming or they hide the bloatware. It isn't uTorrent's fault that people are stupid and don't read or can't search a forum for an easy fix...

• 3 weeks later...

When this program came out it boasted being small and full featured. At the time I was using other bit torrent clients. I stopped upgrading utorrent a long time ago even considered leaving utorrent all together because of all the extras that started coming with it.

At one time earlier this year I purchased the utorrent plus and returned it for a refund since I already had a player, a converter, a security system. & other hand picked programs. I like so many other like to pick the software I use if I like it I buy it. I now use utorrent 2.2 that's because it's small works great, I used it under Windows XP, 7 and now 8 and if it will not work when I need it I will go to direct download where no client will be needed then.

I will upgrade to the latest version only when a totally (no possibility of extras) lite version comes out, I would even buy a licensed copy. I think software developers should stick to what they know instead of trying to be like McDonald's when they made pizzas (what a fiasco that was) personally i let the Jones be the Jones while I remain who I am. :)

Utorrent knew how to be a no nonsense Bittorrent client I hope they see their way back.

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I am grateful to the developers! I've used uTorrent for years for not so much as a song.

However, JMD's comments highlight what I find to be the case.. a change of brand took place. A brand is a precious thing, especially when popular, and instead of taking good ideas and going for a brand makeover, it's usually better to take those good ideas and make a different product with them.

uTorrent is the product of a for-profit corporation, though, so I am not surprised that they are trying to find ways to profit from their uTorrent userbase.

I guess I am not too upset :) If it doesn't suit me I will look elsewhere. I have only been on v3 a few months. I have grown accustomed to dealing with some of these issues from many companies previously free AND CLEAR products (I can recall installing a Java update this morning and having to beware of a browser toolbar, which I think has been the case there for a few years).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived