uTorrent 3.2.2 - Disk overloaded 100 %

Latency

I just upgraded to 3.2.2 from an older uTorrent version (2.*), because the older version didn't support some types of torrents, and I immediately noticed some serious flaws/bugs with the newer version regarding the Disk overloaded detection.

Right now, I'm seeding/leeching on a dedicated physical hard drive. Nothing else but my torrents run from that drive, and there are no other partitions on the same physical drive.

If I run something that constantly accesses a different physical disk, then 40-60 seconds later, uTorrent will report "Disk overloaded 100 %", even though I'm not touching the only drive uTorrent is using.

From all of that, I have to imagine this must be some serious bug or flaw within uTorrent.

I have not adjusted any of the uTorrent Disk Cache settings and here are my settings:

diskcache.png

Other Technical Details:

The uTorrent process runs on higher priority than everything else to ensure nothing interferes with it, incase my overall CPU usage caps out.

The process accessing a different physical drive runs on the lowest priority.

Nothing else is accessing the drive my torrents is on besides uTorrent.

The two separate physical drives are even on completely different disk controllers, not that I think that would matter.

Almost all of these factors were the same, when I was running an older version of uTorrent (2.*) and I was not having the Disk overloaded issue.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Set the cache to 256.

That's one of the tens of things I tried to prevent the Disk Overloaded from appearing. I left no stone unturned when toggling between different settings and seeing if they had any effect. I probably wasted over an hour testing each option separately.

I peeked at versions 3.3 and 3.4, but according to what I read, those had their own slew of problems that also made them unusable.

As a temporary solution, I'm using another client until I can figure out what to do with uTorrent. Maybe I'll switch back to my older 2.* version once I'm completely done seeding the torrent that couldn't be added to that version.

You do realise that "disk overloaded" only really means that the disk you are reading from and/or writing to is working slower than your processor can throw data at it.

It's really not the end of the world simply that there is a bit of time being wasted in waiting for it to catch up. If you are using an external USB drive or a network drive it's pretty much inevitable that it is going to occur because the interface to those drives are slow by nature.

Increase the cache and/or reduce your upload/download speeds to compensate, simple as that.

First off, thanks for all the responses; it is much appreciated :).

v Try use my sample settings (adjusted to your upload rate and paths) v

I'll try those settings once I get a chance.

It is kind of awkward I have to download 'settings' though, since it won't help narrow down what (or if) a certain setting is causing the problem. Like I said in my earlier posts, I already basically went through and toggled and changed many of the disk settings; all separately.

On a side note, I think it's great that you have all the resources you have in your profile. :)

You do realise that "disk overloaded" only really means that the disk you are reading from and/or writing to is working slower than your processor can throw data at it.

Increase the cache and/or reduce your upload/download speeds to compensate, simple as that.

If you read my post, you'd see that it isn't simple as what you're stating, since the situation I'm having doesn't make any sense, e.g. uTorrent 3.2.2 is complaining the disk is Overloaded only when I'm accessing a disk it's not using.

I've done the same test with other torrent programs, and even an older version of uTorrent (2.2.1 of course), and I did not experience the same problem with any of them.

I'd give 3.3 a shot, I don't recall running into issues with it.
I peeked at versions 3.3 and 3.4, but according to what I read, those had their own slew of problems that also made them unusable.

Despite what I said earlier, perhaps I will give it a try once I get a chance.

I do want to solve the problem, although with all the problems I've read about in 3.3, 3.4, and 3.2.3 I'm concerned with something else breaking, which seems highly likely from all that I've read.

It's frustrating to jump from different uTorrent versions and settings only because the developers couldn't properly code basic torrent client functions, such as, speed limiting, and properly reading and writing data to a disk. I know the software is free, but the software has been in such a poor state since 3.0 (over a year).

Sorry for the rant; I just don't have as much time as I'd like to do all of these tests to randomly hope that something that should be working in the stable version suddenly works properly.

• 1 month later...

It's really not the end of the world simply that there is a bit of time being wasted in waiting for it to catch up. If you are using an external USB drive or a network drive it's pretty much inevitable that it is going to occur because the interface to those drives are slow by nature.

Is this issue dangerous for the external HD? I tried few times to dll a trnt with books and I got this message always. I'm with version 3.2.3. I can dll from work too (with another client) and I only care if the disk overload is dangerous for the same drive.

PS. The trnt that I tried has good speed over 1 Mb/s.

I'm sorry, one more question. Is this dangerous for the processor?

• 3 weeks later...

i am running version 3.1.3 and have the same problem most of the time amongst other problems :(

i haven't found utorrent to be much cop since version 2.0

if they could adapt the code for 1.7 to use magnet links that would be ideal

hopefully there will be a new version soon that works as well as some of the old versions did

EDIT:

i have set the cache to 256 as ciaobaby suggested and so far it is working, thanks ciaobaby

EDIT again

it downloaded 256mb then disk overloaded message came up again and the download speed dropped to 9.4kb/s as it always seems to.

i will have to change client to something else, utorrent is about as much use as a chocolate teapot

i thought i was as utorrent is supposed to auto update and when i use the help tab in utorrent and check for updates it says "There is no new version available at this time.

i have set the cache setting to 625, i just chose it as a random high number as the PC i am using has plenty of memory and so far there has been no problems over the past 14 hours so i think i may have cracked it.

i have been hosting torrent sites for the past 8 years and have always recommended utorrent highly and am want to be able to again.

I only found out that i was using a non current version when i came to the forum.

utorrent313.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I see this as well, similar to what I've been reporting in other threads, but I see this now even on 1-file torrents. This time on 3.3 version.

Speed drops down to fraction of my actual bandwidth and HDD gets 100% loaded with amount of writes of what couldn't possibly be downloaded yet.

AxFBqgB.png

• 2 months later...

I started receiving this error last week. I've been storing the downloads on an external hdd connected via USB 3.0 to an add-on PCI card. Last week I got a new Dell monitor that came with a built in USB 3.0 hub, so I plugged it into that same PCI card. The same day, the disk overloaded errors in utorrent started. I lived with it for a few days, restarting utorrent to get around the problem each day. However, I also started having speed issues unraring torrents. Additionally, a "USB3" process of some kind (I failed to note its exact spelling) started grabbing 25% of my CPU continuously while anything was accessing the external hdd (explorer, winrar, vlc, utorrent, anything). I killed the process several time with no apparent negative side effects. I'd never noticed that process before I set up the new Dell monitor and its hub.

I finally fixed the problem by move the Dell monitor's hub's cable and plugging it in a USB 2.0 motherboard port. I haven't received the disk overloaded error since then. I assume the PCI slot or the USB 3.0 PCI card's bandwidth was being saturated by the combination of the external hdd and the monitor's hub, but it may have simply been that the Dell monitor hub was being buggy. Just another idea for anyone else getting this error.

Is there a proper calculation on manually setting the cache size?

I've discovered (the hard way) that Dread is absolutely correct. I set my cache size to 1800 (I have 12gb ram, so thought I would be fine). No more disk overload! But also no more downloading anything larger than probably 8-10gb in size. Anything larger and pop goes the weasel. :/

• 2 weeks later...

I've got this same problem on multiple machines. The first machine had this problem with a 3tb drive, on an i7 3770k with 16gb RAM. After some discussion on the forums, I decided to take the 256gb SSD with 500mbps read/write and did a fresh install of Win7 on it. Installed just uTorrent, and I had the same problem. The only way to exit uTorrent is to end process. Exiting the application LOOKS like it works, but you can't launch it because it's running in the background. I deleted the partial data and installed another torrent application, and it was able to download the 20gb file without an issue. The internet connection is 30 down, 6 up, and it was downloading at about 3.5mbps.

I'd really love to see this fixed.

• 1 month later...

I'm facing the same problem with uTorrent 3.3 build 29667 on a dedicated Windows Server installation. I'm not quite sure what's going on as uTorrent has been able to blaze through about 1TB of data already with optimum speed (I've got a 90 / 250 mbit connection) and then all of sudden I'm struck with this disk overloaded 100% nonsense and now it's not able to download anything whatsoever, I'm lucky if I see some of my torrents hit 12kbps and that's pretty much it.

I tried to restart uTorrent but for some awkward reason while having loads of active torrents (I've got like 120 ones, whereas max 3 are downloading at the same time and a unlimited amount is available for uploading / seeding) it's not able to shut down correctly so I'm forced to do it through task manager resulting in every active torrent having to "re-check" on the next startup which tends to take ages.

But even after restarting the client it goes directly towards disk overloaded 100%, restarting the computer, reconnecting my external hard drive which I use to keep all my torrents for seeding before I use MKVtoMP4 to convert everything before saving it on my actual server storage it still hits disk overloaded 100% in a matter of minutes.

There has to be something fishy going on here as it was able to go strong at full speed for days until it suddenly hit some kind of brickwall. I know running torrents directly to a 6TB external USB2.0 drive isn't the best solution but how could it be working so good for so long and now suddenly it's not working at all? It's not like the server hardware isn't capable with its 16GB of DDR3 ECC RAM, Intel Xeon E3-1260 v2 CPU and Asus P8B-E/4L motherboard and it's current Windows Server 2012 Datacenter installation.

I've tried to trick around with the disc cache settings, normally I would just leave it at automatic but forcing it to 256MB doesn't make any difference and even after manually stopping all my torrents uTorrent keeps claiming disk overload 100% even when there is no data being transferred at all..

even after manually stopping all my torrents uTorrent keeps claiming disk overload 100% even when there is no data being transferred at all..

Screenshot? I found that there is an issue with "hidden" downloads, due to resume.dat file being out of sync/corrupt.

I've been suffering from this problem for a long time.

Every suggested tip for utorrent settings online has not resolved it.

I've definitely put it down to a software issue, as since having the problem I have:

* tried 2 different PCs and a laptop

* switched ISP (from moving house)

* tried 4 different HDD and 2 different SSD

* complete vanilla system with a fresh Windows install fully updated

When it happens it will always be from a fresh boot and I have to kill it off in task manager. End task is never enough, I have to force utorrent.exe to stop running in processes.

Guaranteed, as soon as I have crashed it and restarted utorrent, hey presto! it's working again.

Archived