How to re-start Magnet files that I've downloaded and was seeding

chigwells

Hi All,

This is my first post. I have a bunch of downloaded files, most of which used the Magnet way of downloading. I had to rebuild my user account. Now when I start uTorrent, only downloaded files with associated torrents are recognized and seeding.

I can't figure out how to 'jump-start' the rest of the files so that I'm still seeding to the community. Please note, the files I'm talking about are fully downloaded, its only about seeding.

I did a search and wasn't able to find a solution anywhere. Many thanks in advance,

Chig.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, as I didn't get a single reply I'll try rephrasing my question. :cool:

I have a bunch of files I've downloaded, and that I have continued to seed back into the community. As I had to mess about with my user account, I changed the location where the downloaded files are stored. When I restarted uTorrent and pointed it towards the new download folder, it doesn't automatically restart to seed the files.

I've been able to manually restart the ones with a torrent file, but not the ones using the magnet way to download.

So my question is, how do I restart the seeding process with Magnet torrents.

Looking forward to an avalanche of replies :lol:, Chig

Hey ciaobaby, thanks for the veritable torrent of replies!!!

Now here's the thing, there aren't any such magnet torrent files. I download all files to my 'downloads' folder (W7/ 64, uTorrent ver. 3.2.3). And its full of downloaded files, but there were never any torrents with them, also no sub-folders, I just double-checked. Also no hidden folders.

When you say 'storage directory', you mean Preferences > Directories > store .torrents in.

Hmm, seems I can't attach a screenshot :(

So if you're saying, that if I had 100 files all downloaded with Magnet torrents, there should also be 100 torrent files or similar in the folder, its just not happening.

thanks anyway for your suggestion, anyone else?t any such magnet torrent files. I download all files to my

When you say 'storage directory', you mean Preferences > Directories > store .torrents in.
Yep.
there should also be 100 torrent files or similar in the folder, its just not happening
Not necessarily, check in %APPDATA%/utorrent as well

For screenshots upload to an "image sharing site" then put the url in img BBcode

Hey ciaobaby, I get it :lol: :lol:

In 'my local disk' © > users > me > AppData > Roaming > uTorrent > apps, I found a bunch of torrents, but only .btapp torrents, e.g. whatsnew-ut.btapp. I also ran a search case they were hiding elsewhere, the critters ;)

To better understand, I just downloaded a random torrent ebook from a well known site, and see that even tho I click on the Magnet link, the torrent file still gets downloaded into the appropriate directory. I guess I thought that compared with the old way of downloading the torrent file directly, the Magnet somehow magically did away with the torrent file. Actually all it does is save you a step and a click or two.

So, now that I understand the process better, and seeing as the original 'Download' folder is long gone, I guess I can let it rest in peace. Although actually not, cause when I copied all the files over, I would have copied the whole folder Ctrl+A, so actually the torrents should all have come along for the ride. Oh, unless they were in the %APPDATA% folder.

I can feel smoke coming out of my ears :rolleyes::P :P :|

OK ciaobaby, I'm gonna leave it there. I now understand there must still be torrent files somewhere, if I find them in my backups, then I can re-activate my seeding files. Otherwise, I'll just have to let them fade on off into the torrent sunset.

Thanks very much for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! chig

Archived