Error: WriteToDisk: The system can not find the specified path

GoTemp

Nothing is wrong with the path, and it was fine for 300mb of the file then "Error" happens every minute or so soon as i start it again its fine for a minute then error i have no idea what the issue is!

The specified path is my NAS unit which is connected all via cable to the router, im currently writing an auto it script to click the start button -.-

I wouldnt know, all my torrents goto my NAS and its been working fine for months like i said this file was doing fine for 300mb then "Error" every minute since. Also if there was an issue wouldnn't windows say something yet its accessing the drive fine:/

Looking at some of the file names in the torrent this could be the issue, but you would of thought that with today's technology that the devs could of done a check before time was even wasted by the user. I guess i will try again and see what the computer looks like in the morning.

The developers are not in control of ALL the people that create torrents AND if someone has created a torrent where the filepaths are close to 255 character and then YOUR downloads folder is added to the mix that takes it over 255 characters, the error will not occur until the first piece of that particular filename is written to the disc.

BitTorrent clients do NOT use the concept of "files" so the client will not 'know' that the block of data it is sending to disc WILL break the filing system limit prior to Windows throwing the error.

Im sorry ciao but i just dont believe its "impossible" to count the characters in the download path and the torrents with how technology is today. If that check was done before downloading then i would not be here would i? Especially if it posted a meaningful error message other than "Error: Can not write to specified path" Like "Error: Windows has a 255char limit on files and folders you have reached or gone over that limit with the file path please try a new shorter path. like 'C:\' "

So yes i do blame the developers on this one, no checking is done prior to the download resulting in this error which wastes peoples time and bandwidth. Like i said i find i dont believe its impossible to do this action, if they can read whats in the torrent and display the files and folders then they can count the characters in them.

Btw it is now downloading but i was not happy that following the instructions on how to move the file did not work so i had to restart from the beginning, like i said wasted time and bandwidth.

BitTorrent clients do NOT "know" what files are so how could they count the characters in a path for a piece of data that they don't "makes" a files when it is sent to disc.

BitTorrent clients work by getting pieces of data that are put together like a jigsaw, and any one piece may contain data for part of one file OR parts of one or more files. The path is not known until the disc filing system is given the pieces.

Like so

pieces.png

and

pieces-2.png

• 2 months later...

Archived