Torrents and Windows 8

Paul-H

Hi all

Are there any issues with running torrent clients like uTorrent on a Windows 8 machine. I have just upgraded my machine from Win7 to Win8 and none of my torrent clients will now work, all the applications fail to start, is this something Microsoft has done or is the a known fix for it, or is it just my upgrade playing up. It's a genuine paid for upgrade so nothing to do with any dodgy crack.

Thanks

Paul

Hi - no it runs fine on Windows 8, no compatibility issues. I've been using utorrent with Win8 64 bit since August. Also, in order to get help you need to be more specific about what exactly happens. As a rule of thumb:

Exact error message,

screenshots and

step-by-step description of how to trigger the problem.

Versions of all relevant software involved, in this case utorrent and Windows 8.

But first approach to troubleshooting would be: Uninstall it, make sure you have the correct version that you want 64/32 etc (read my recommendation below). Then install again. Use the Windows backwards compatibility mode if you still suspect problems.

But I can assure you; this will be something local on your machine; a dodgy or overcautious default setting, alternatively a mistake that you made.

There are some rather frustrating regressions with the utorrent 3.2 codebase, so unless you are a basic BT user who are not a member of private trackers I'd recommend you to stay on v. 3.1.3. If you are a basic user you should always be on the latest code base though, so if what I said does not make any sense to you, then go for the latest version.

Hi and thanks for the reply.

What's happening and it is the same with all the torrent clients I have downloaded, so its the latest versions of all the torrent software is that after a successful instal when I double click the icon to start the program, nothing happens, in task manager it is shown as running but it never shows on the desktop. Also it fails to close from within control panel. Because it happened to all the BitTorrent software I was wondering if Microsoft had done something in win8 to stop them from working, but that's obviously not the case.

Mind you I have decided I don't like 8 anyway so will be putting 7 back on this afternoon, so that should solve my problem anyway.

Thanks

Paul

Hi

Well in an attempt to get this resolved and assuming its an issue with my install of Win8 being an upgrade from Win7 and not a clean install I have today formatted my hard drive and done a fresh clean install of Win8. And still I have the same problem, every bit of software I use works fine on Win8 except all the different versions of Torrent clients, they all fail to start in exactly the same way and all refuse to terminate from within task manager.

This is starting to drive me nuts now.

Paul

It's definitely not something Microsoft's put in Win 8 as standard.

Have you got any anti virus running? In that case turn that off (it is not dangerous I promise. I don't even use it myself). Try without and then see how it goes.

Turn it on later obviously.

If it's not a third party antivirus, try also turning off Windows Defender which is the built in Windows antivirus.

If that doesn't help either, use performance monitor to generate a log of all processes and software running on your machine and post it here. Since this is not normal behaviour from Windows, it's simply got to be something running on your machine that's creating the problem.

Unless you are running some kind of specially doctored Win 8, in which case you ought to be aware of that; i.e. an image that was made for a school or a church. Frankly that idea makes very little sense but it's the only other possible explanation.

Please also confirm that you have no old settings for the torrent software kicking about, and that you have not messed with the registry settings for the torrrent software.

Assume you've googled "utorrent won't run on Win 8" and lots of variations of fhis.... Just to see if others are affected.

Archived