Complaint about the "Get Torrent Plus" menu option

Drewvt

In the current interface, the "Options" menu which gives acces to "Preferences", also has the "Get utorrent Plus" option sitting right above the "Preferences" option - very close to it, and easy to click on by mistake (like when your mouse isn't working well, or your pointing device is by design imprecise, like on a tablet).

If you do click on it by mistake, the entire uTorrent interface becomes a window for uTorrent Plus, and there is no way to get rid of it other than relaunching uTorrent.

This is extremely annoying when you are urgently seeding several hundred torrents and you hate to interrupt the uploads by having to relaunch the entire application. Very unhappy with that.

I had the same problem. I clicked on the Plus button to get info and then I couldn't get rid of the Plus info screen. Even when I closed utorrent and relaunched it, it came back up with the Plus info screen. Really, Really, Really frustrating. How is anyone supposed to know to press F7. That's so intuitive. hah.

Of course, there's also the aggravating "featured torrent" that I had to go on the web to find out how to get rid of.

utorrent was no longer usable so I uninstalled it and then installed version 2.21 from my archive.

You've succeeded in making me afraid to install anything new from your organization, so I don't think I'll be trying F7. That might be just another trap. When offering to upgrade, you should have warned me about what I was in for. You have a right to make money, but I don't think surprising users is the way to do it.

How is anyone supposed to know to press F7. That's so intuitive. hah.

How about Options -> Show Sidebar?

F7 is simply a keyboard 'shortcut'.

If anyone actually took a minute or so looking at the menus and the other GUI options you wouldn't have ANY of the silly complaints about "Why does that happen"

I mean [deity] forbid than anyone should even bother to look in the user manual to see how things work, it seems you all would rather spend FAR more time joining and posting here to whinge about it than actually finding the solution in about 30 seconds on your own computer!!!

How is anyone supposed to know to press F7. That's so intuitive. hah.

How about Options -> Show Sidebar?

F7 is simply a keyboard 'shortcut'.

If anyone actually took a minute or so looking at the menus and the other GUI options you wouldn't have ANY of the silly complaints about "Why does that happen"

I mean [deity] forbid than anyone should even bother to look in the user manual to see how things work, it seems you all would rather spend FAR more time joining and posting here to whinge about it than actually finding the solution in about 30 seconds on your own computer!!!

Sorry, but I don't know what the sidebar is. Some of us use utorrent to download torrents. We don't have any use for most of the options so we don't explore them. If by manual you mean the help file, I searched it and also went through the options. I saw no mention of the Plus screen, which is what most people would look for, in my opinion. Who would think to look for "sidebar." I spent a lot more time than a minute trying to find a fix. Don't you think it would be a lot friendlier to have a "back" button on that screen? Or maybe have it react to standard cancellations keys, like "ESC"?

Most of us don't have encyclopedic knowledge of all the ins and outs of utorrent. Why should we? Your arrogance is really obnoxious.

Most of us don't have encyclopedic knowledge of all the ins and outs of utorrent. Why should we?

Because the more the know about it the easier it is to get things working.

Would you try using a wordprocessor without learing how to copy and paste, change the font or the text formatting??

Most of us don't have encyclopedic knowledge of all the ins and outs of utorrent. Why should we?

Would you try using a wordprocessor without learing how to copy and paste, change the font or the text formatting??

I use Word all the time, but I don't know every feature that I don't need. Cutting and pasting are self-explanatory and easily found on the ribbon if I didn't know about them. Word has never put me in the position of being unable to use it unless I know some obscure option.

I download torrents one at a time and then seed usually for at least 150%. I know what I need to know to use utorrent, but it's just a tool, not a major obsession. Generally utorrent was easy to use. I was up and running in a few minutes when I first downloaded it several years ago. That simple interface seems to have gone the way of the buggy whip. Too bad.

Users who have problems with your product, for whatever reason, should receive a polite response, not treated like they're to latest dufus to interrupt your nap.

This is all well and good, except that uTorrent has always advertised itself as "the lightweight and efficient Bittorrent client". What that means, certainly to me, is that it is a no-nonsense client that just gets the job done, and it's not for the power users.

Hence, as the other poster said, I have never before had the need nor felt the urge to explore the various options and features that it might (or might not) have. Again, it gets the job done, so you leave whatever extras it might have well alone. I have never even used the Side Bar - I think I may have closed it once, when I first installed the client many years ago, and never thought about it again.

For these reasons I find the Get uTorrent Plus window extremely "in-your-face", and it's far from obvious how to get rid of it. Thumbs down on this crude bit of aggressive advertising for the paid version (which, since it has nothing I could want or use, is not for me).

Archived