Disk Overloaded Issue

Vampire337

I have been using uTorrent for years, and I've come to love many features that no other torrent client seems to offer. About 4 months ago I got a faster home internet connection; I went from 10mbit to 50mbit download speed. On the slower connection, everything worked fine with uTorrent. Now that I can download faster, it seems that uTorrent (newer versions) limits my download speed for no reason.

My system is: Windows 2008 R2, 4GB RAM, i5 CPU. I was running uTorrent 3.1.3, then 3.2.1, now I've downgraded to 2.0.4 because one of the myriad places online where someone was suggesting how to 'fix' the overloaded issue, a response was that only downgrading helped (link: http://banglagamer.com/showthread.php?6211-Disk-Overload-100-Fix-for-uTorrent-Guide). Turns out, I've come to the same conclusion.

I know this is not a new issue, and I know I'm not the only one to have it, and I've spent a few months reading and changing settings and trying different versions of uTorrent. I've tried enabling cache and disabling Windows cache, (a setting which has been since removed in 3.2.1). I have managed to confirm that my Windows cache never has a problem. Copying files can write to the disk at over 35MB/sec, and my peak download has been around 6.5MB/sec, but newer versions of uTorrent limit me to around 2.0MB/sec. I've loved uTorrent over the years, and I've considered paying for the pro version just to support the devs, but now it's starting to look like I need to find a new client. Before I do that, I want to post here and see if anyone can shed some light on this issue for me. Why does 2.0.4 just work when 3.1.3 and 3.2.1 come with this bug?

Well, one of my trackers blocks all versions above uTorrent 3.2.3, so anything newer than that won't work for me at all until either uTorrent stops randomizing peer IDs or BCG stops caring that they're randomized. Unsurprising, the problem still exists for me in 3.2.3. to be clear, I'm not maxed out at 100% disk overloaded; uTorrent throttles back my download speed until it goes away, which I'm sure is functioning as intended if the disk overload warning weren't in error. But, in my case and for many other people I've read about, it's simply confused because I've confirmed my disk is not overloaded.

I'm glad to get any info that would help anyone troubleshoot this issue. Maybe I need to try every release between 2.0.4 and 3.whatever and determine exactly when it stopped working and read the change logs of that release and guess at what the devs changed that has caused this? Any advice is welcome, thanks.

So my fix seems to be: I'm switching to Vuze. It has no trouble downloading (at my full bandwidth) the same torrents my newer versions of uTorrent choke on. I will move my 2600+ seeded torrents and report back if I find out anything that might be helpful to the devs (if they read this) or to other people who might dig this up in a search. Maybe the newer versions of uTorrent just aren't made to do what I'm trying to make it do, or maybe I'll have the same problem with another piece of software and then I'll know it's me.

Thanks for a pretty decent (at one time the best IMO) product I've had a few good years of use out of!

Archived