Utorrent 1.8.1 hangs

CapeTownMac

I've been using Utorrent for Mac for many years with very few problems. Version 1.8.1 with the latest version of OSX (10.8.2) was working fine until a few days ago when I had four torrents downloading and the program hung with the coloured spinning wheel of death. I have deleted utorrent and all the plist and application support files that I could find but it doesn't help. When I run the program - now clean with default prefs and no downloads running - it is responsive for a few seconds before the spinning wheel appears and the program becomes completely unresponsive and I have to force quite. I am using a completely new download and have done my best to clean up the old install. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Rhyder

1. How's your free space on your boot disk? Somewhere in the 10-15% range, you start getting hangs --- then system auto re-boots when you cross that mystery line. Note -- it *IS* % that matters, not Gb or Mb.

2. Use Activity Monitor to check what is going on with your system to see if something else is stepping on your resources (i.e., if you use an external drive with a slow interface, there will be waits). And don't worry about free memory, because the OS caches in RAM -- unused memory is a better indication of resource overload. (how much stuff do you have running with how much RAM to carry it?).

3. If you don't find the answer in your own system ---- Then the next time uTorrent seriously hangs on you, use Activity monitor to do a sample on it-- save the sample, and send it in to the developers.

BTW -- my system OS 10.8.2, Intel Core2 Duo, 4 GB RAM ---- no uTorrent 1.8.1 beach balls here.

(edited for system info)

---- I have 500GB SSD drive with about 50GB free----

There's your problem. :P

Besides using any of a number of maintenance utilities (Onyx, Maintenance, TinkerTool, CleanMyDrive, Purity, ML Cache Cleaner, etc), and cleaning out your downloads folder --- don't forget the old Mail Downloads folder-- and uninstalling all of those unused and "tried-it-one-time" things from your Apps--

Archived