DL speed drops then gets back up (recurrent problem)

pagod

Hi,

I'm now using uTorrent 1.8.1 but I've noticed this problem in older versions and on other computers (all Macs using the latest OS's).

Basically, it seems to happen quite often while downloading (I've seen it several times although I'm rarely monitoring the DL's) that the speed (whatever it was, whether high or low) suddenly drops, i.e. the speed curve on the graph neatly and gently curves down to 0, then stays there for a while (may be a few seconds or several minutes) before going back up. And this seems to happen at random times.

Here's an example of what's happening (the screenshots were taken 3 minutes apart):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zepagod/8318731200/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zepagod/8318731906/in/photostream

As far as I can remember, the number of available/used seeds doesn't drop, only the DL speed. Since (as you can see in the example) I'm downloading several files from several sources, and the drop is so sudden and regular, I can't imagine that all sources went dead at the same time. Also, as I was saying, I've experienced that on several different computers, different Internet connections (different places, different providers) and the connections aren't showing any other issues. But I'm always using µTorrent.

Can anyone diagnose this problem?

Thanks!

pagod

I've experienced that on several different computers, different Internet connections (different places, different providers) and the connections aren't showing any other issues. But I'm always using µTorrent.

Can anyone diagnose this problem?

So given the above; what makes you think it is a "problem"?

Unlike FTP or HTTP, BitTorrent is not a constant rate data transfer, and the smaller the resolution, the more it will appear to fluctuate.

Archived