Merging torrents containing overlapping file name but different file?

wohdin

Say I have two separate torrents, both already seeding and running, that I want to PARTIALLY merge. The reason for this is explained below.

The files in both of these torrents are named identically, similar to this:

1.ass

1.avi

2.ass

2.avi

etc.

Now, you can probably guess what these files are, but that's irrelevant. The important thing here is that the .avi files are identical between torrents, but the .ass files ARE NOT. Currently these two torrents are running from two completely separate sets of files, which obviously is taking up a lot of extra space that doesn't need to be taken up, considering the bulk of these files are duplicates. How can I "merge" these torrents to all point to the same .avi files, while retaining the separate .ass files? I tried relocating torrent A to torrent B's folder, and then relocating the .ass files manually back to the old ones, but this didn't work. I also tried copying A's .ass files into B's folder and renaming them, then pointing torrent A back to the newly renamed .ass files, but it didn't like that either.

Assuming that your .ass files have different filenames (and for example there are 2 in each torrent) but your .avi files have identical filenames (and for example there are also 2 in each torrent), put all the files into the same folder so that you end up with 4 .ass and 2 .avi files in that folder then set location and force a recheck for both torrents. This works for me. But you have to be sure that the .avi files are exactly identical (I use a compare utility called UltraCompare for that).

The AVI files are identical and have the same name, but the ASS files, which are NOT identical, ALSO have the same name (it's two separate sets of ASS files linked to the same AVI files). I tried that but I couldn't get either torrent to read the renamed "secondary" set of ASS files over the files that are named what it expects (which are the wrong files).

The .avi files ARE binary duplicates, the .ass files ARE NOT (they are from two different groups; in case you didn't know, .avi files are videos, and .ass files are subtitles). It's ridiculous to have to have two sets of identical .avi files just to cater to these tiny .ass files that are less than 1% of the size of the torrent. THIS is the problem I am trying to solve.

What have you checked with to determine they are binary duplicates?

Quick 'dummies guide' to torrents.

BitTorrent clients do NOT have a concept of 'files', what they 'understand' is that the torrent is made up of equally sized pieces of data that fit together like a jigsaw puzzle. What you are trying to do is take some pieces from jigsaw puzzle of the Matterhorn and try and put them in with a jigsaw puzzle of Everest. They might both be pictures of mountains but the end result simply isn't going to be right.

I've checked the CRCs of the video files, they are identical. When I recheck torrent A with torrent B's .avi files and re-point the .ass files to the old ones, it clears the .avi files but NOT the .ass files. The ONLY difference between the torrents are the .ass files.

Ok but the .ass data does NOT belong in the metadata, it is NOT in the metadat, so uTorrent cannot check the data that makes up those files, what you are trying to do cannot be done EVER!!!

The meta data in the two seperate jobs is FIXED, unalterable, the ONLY way you can do what you want is to make a completely new torrent with the .avi files and both sets of subtitle files then upload that NEW torrent.

You cannot combine two seperate torrents and make them work, BitTorrent is not like Kazaa or WinMX where you can simply put files in a 'shared' directory and they will be 'announced' as a network multicast, and each client can ONLY upload them from YOU until another client has a complete file set. With Bittorrent a peer could get every single piece of the dataset from a different peer, and if you throw an extra bit of data that isn't part of the original you could potentially corrupt EVERY OTHER copy of the torrent that is currently being 'fetched'.

The hash checking in the BitTorrent protocol is there to ensure THAT scenario cannot EVER happen.

Archived