Why do my upload speeds go down when I download a large file?

Mannequin

I have a pretty fast connection and am uploading and downloading through uTorrent quite a lot. However, I think I've possibly screwed up some of the settings with regard to the "Bandwidth" and "Queuing" sections of the program. Here are my settings:

M2aPE.jpg

3l3iX.jpg

I wonder if these are contributing to the problems I'm having, as I don't quite understand these screens. I've tried to maximize the numbers because I tend to have a lot of torrents going at once; although I remember reading that if you go too crazy with these numbers it could possibly make your upload/download speeds go even slower. I don't experience this typically, unless I am already seeding 10 or 15 torrents, and then decide to download a new torrent that is very large. If there are a lot of seeders on this torrent and I can reach my maximum download speed, all of the files that I'm seeding start to slow down. Eventually, one by one, they slow to the point of not uploading at all and disappear from my list of active torrents.

I figured it was possible that the culprit was my hard drive -- I am trying to send data out while at the same time bring new data in -- both at relatively high rates of speed. However, this happens even when I spread my files out over a number of drives, so I don't think it is hardware related.

What do you think is going on here? Is this just normal, or are my settings way out of whack?

Why would I want to lower my upload speed? I've always wanted to maximize it to the fullest. Are you suggesting that it may be the culprit?

For instance, just now I am uploading a torrent at about 72 mb/s. I then attempted to download a rather large 100+ GB torrent that was well-seeded. My download speeds started going up to around the maximum. As this occurred, the torrent I was seeding at 72 mb/s began dropping in speed to, eventually, about 20 kilobytes/sec. Then it dropped off entirely from my active torrents list, and only the torrent that I was downloading was left in the list. Nothing else would seed.

Both torrents were on different drives -- one internal, one external. Yeah, I think you're right, if I were to drop my upload speed on the one torrent by about 80% both would probably live in harmony; except that I don't want to decrease my upload speed. I want to keep this as fast as possible.

So I guess the question goes back to why this is happening at all. Is it a function of my router? Broadband in general? My own computer? Would this happen to anyone, or is this specific to me?

Do you have a 1G router/switch ?

Did you take into account that 150Mbps download needs about 7-10M as upload overhead (=the reason I suggested to lower it a bit when combining upload and download)?

You didn't even mention what uTorrent version is at play? and under what OS?

That being said, I tend to agree that uTorrent still have problems with combined upload+downloads at high speeds. I suggest to try 3.3 beta, where they've supposedly fixed some related issues. In your case - I still recommend to try use my settings, but w/o an upload limit, as you've indeed tried.

Let us know if there was any change.

I have Verizon Fios and the router they provided me which is specific for high-speed accounts. Specifically, it is an "Actiontec MI424WR Rev. 1". I assume that qualifies as a 1G router/switch.

No, I did not know that 150mbps download needed 7-10m as upload overhead. (Is that in megabits or megabytes?) With my upload, I am generally able to get about 9 megabytes/sec upload at the very maximum. Losing most of that would not be desirable, but then, that may be just the way things have to be!

I use an older version of uTorrent -- 2.2.1, as it is the one preferred by the private trackers that I use. Newer versions, they say, can misrepresent the upload/download numbers and if you are caught using newer versions of uTorrent, (or many of the other popular bittorrent clients), you will be banned. So I live by their rules.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit, Intel i7 processor at 2.67ghz, 12gb RAM, with two 3gb/sec SATA internal hard drives, and two external drives that are 7200 RPM. One is connected via USB3, the other Firewire.

I will try your recommended setting of lowering the upload speed, but then turn it back off when I am just in seed mode, and will let you know if this works.

b = bits

B = bytes.

He responded with 7-10M, so I should assume megabytes, correct? Just want to make sure my logic is correct.

I use an older version of uTorrent -- 2.2.1

Don't care how "preferred" it is, that version is no longer support.

I understand this, and I also understand that some of the kinks may have been worked out in the newer version; but I have to abide by the rules I am given whether I like it or not. And I don't particularly like it, but I have to weigh the pros and cons and the "cons" in this case outweigh the pros. If the solution is to throttle my upload speeds while downloading I shall have to do this, but it seems from what was explained earlier this is an on-going issue, perhaps even with the latest version.

I don't really know or understand what the root cause of this is. If it's software related, okay, then the upgrade makes sense from the point of view that I would be able to upload/download without interference. But if it's something else that I can control and irrelevant to an upgrade -- perhaps if it is related to my settings -- then maybe I should explore this avenue.

I pretty much know that throttling my upload speeds will help but it's not something I want to really do here. That's why I question if it is hardware related. It seems like no one really knows the answer at the heart. An upgrade to the software may solve it, or slowing my upload speeds may solve it, or a combination of the both. But it's an unknown either way.

Reducing my upload speed did nothing. First, the setting didn't even work. So when I manually lowered the upload speed to 100 KB/sec for each of the five I was seeding and then attempted to download the bigger torrent, they all dropped like flies.

Edit: It appears I had to restart uTorrent for the setting to take effect, and it did. However, uploading at 500 KB/sec is a lot faster than 100 KB/sec and if that doesn't work, I hardly think 500 KB will work either.

Damn.

I will try your recommended setting of lowering the upload speed, but then turn it back off when I am just in seed mode, and will let you know if this works.

You have a special setting for doing that in pref->bandwidth. On second thought you better leave it not limited as before... Still using my settings.dat file and v 3.3 .

Archived