"Patching" a torrent in progress

JonR

Say I am downloading a torrent containing 10 files. 5 of those files are completed. In another folder, I have a completed copy for three of the incomplete files. I thought I could stop the torrent, replace those three incomplete files with my complete versions, force a re-check, and resume the torrent, now only needing two files to complete.

But this doesn't work. After the re-check, the completed versions I manually replaced are deleted and the torrent still has five incomplete files. Is there a way I can successfully "patch" a torrent that is incomplete?

If it matters, I'm using the "Append .!ut to incomplete files" option. So my patch process is to copy the completed version to the download location and manually delete the corresponding .!ut file.

Thanks

The safest way to do it is with a second computer or a virtual machine on the same computer in such a way as to allow the two to communicate directly. That way you resume the torrent with the files you downloaded from an external source in a way that works without stopping the existing torrent.

When you do this, the pieces that match that you don't have in the main download will be merged cleanly.

Your method of replacing the files in the download folder REQUIRES the torrent be stopped AND a force re-check that basically interrupts the download.

In my scenario, I'm OK with stopping the download. But even after stopping the download and doing a force recheck, the files I've replaced are discarded.

Let's say the torrent has 10 zip files. Five are completed and named with the correct names. Five are in progress and have .!ut appended to the end of the file name. I stop the torrent, delete three of the .!ut files, and replace them with the exact .zip file that would be downloaded (perfect binary comparison). Now I do a force recheck. After the recheck is finished, the .zip files I replaced are gone and I once again have five files with .!ut appended to the end of the file name.

Thanks

• 5 months later...

Hey JonR - Did you ever get a fix? I have a torrent that's missing one piece, and there are 300-odd others waiting for it as well. I got the file (binary identical) and have tried the same process you mentioned, with the same result (how the hell does it restore the partial file???!?).

Archived