simple question :)

XxSavedByGracexX

I have set up a static i.p. address and using port fowarding. Everything is working fine and all tests ran fine through utorrent.It says my port is open and im getting a 30/mb download and a 5.1 upload.What i want to know however is if these two options are suppose to be enabled or disabled....(Enable Upnp port mapping) and (Enable NAT-PMP port mapping)??

ummm.wait ah minute.I thought you had to have a static ip address in order to use port fowarding to begin with?? uh oh..now im confused..lol.when i went to portfowarding.com im pretty sure it said that i needed a static ip in order to use port fowarding.so i set my router up to use port fowarding using the "port used for incoming connections" in utorrent.I also set up a static ip address through the portfowarding software..did i do something wrong here?

maybe i shouldnt change anything..lol.everything seems to be working great! my downloads seem to be pretty fast and my uploads also.My internet seems to be even faster..hmmmm.The tests all ran fine. "enable upnp port mapping" is the only thing disabled in my settings and "NAT" is enabled.Guess maybe i should just leave it if its working fine right? If something goes awry i will get rid of one or the other..lol.

As the old saying goes..if it aint broke,dont try to fix it..lol..sounds good to me..lol.thankyou for your reply :)

I thought you had to have a static ip address in order to use port fowarding to begin with??

If your router handles UPnP it will perform port forwarding under command from uTorrent. Setting a static IP address and manually port forwarding to that address in your router is what to do if UPnP doesn't work. Since you already set port forwarding manually you no longer need uTorrent to try to do so using UPnP. NAT-PMP is an alternative control method for routers such as those from Apple which use this rather than UPnP.

upnp is unchecked in my router.so im not using upnp.I made a static ip address.I then used that address along with the "port used for incoming connection" in utorrent which was 11857.I inserted both the static ip and 11857 form utorrent into my router.It says now im using a static ip,and utorrent says the port is now open and everything is working fine.Upnp is unchecked in my utorrent preferences,which would only make sense because its unchecked in my router.I also tried unchecking NAT,but it didnt make any difference so i just rechecked it.so question is,did i do everything right? am i all set?

NAT-PMP is a device control protocol to allow computers inside of the router network to 'tell' the router which ports and IP to be forwarded. If you disable NAT-PMP in uTorrent it will not send the router any port or IP changes that may happen after any restarts.

If you have set a fixed IP on your computer, set the port uTorrent uses, forwarded that port to the IP manually and do NOT intend to run the setup guide ever again THEN you can disable NAT-PMP and UPnP.

Bare with me as im not very good at understanding some of this computer geeky stuff..lol.I assume what you said is what i did considering i did make a static ip address.Put the port from utorrent and fowarded that to the ip address in my router.I ran the setup guide in utorrent with NAT enabled.download was 29.7/mbs or 3.5/mb and an upload of 5.2. It said port was open and i was all set to download.I then downloaded a program that was 192mb with 239 seeders and 9 leechers.It downloaded in less then 30 seconds with a download speed of 3.5mbs. was freakin fast! so i guess it is good to leave it as is? thankyou for your replys.You have been ah big help :)

Archived