Utorrent causing a hard reboot

madeye

Hello All,

I've been using uTorrent for sometime and at 1:50pm today it has begun locking my macbook pro up. I get the mac overlay saying I need to hard reboot. After rebooting I tried opening uTorrent and encountered the same issue. Rebooted, made sure nothing else was opened and each time. uTorrent would come up, I'd see what was currently downloading and then bam, overlay. Here are my specifics.

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0

Utorrent

Version: 1.8.1

Last Modified: 10/22/08 2:36 PM

Kind: Intel

64-Bit (Intel): No

Any help would be appreciated!

Will

What is your Hard Dive available space? Less than 10-15%?

You will get kernel panics if it drops too low -- in addition to hardware problems. Do you have a backup made, just in case your HD is dying?

You could (should?) do a hardware/ memory test also.

The machine (I'm guessing based on the OS) is over 3 years old -- have you ever done any internal dust bunny cleaning, ram stick reseating?

Have you done the firmware updates?

What is your Hard Dive available space? Less than 10-15%?

You will get kernel panics if it drops too low -- in addition to hardware problems. Do you have a backup made, just in case your HD is dying?

You could (should?) do a hardware/ memory test also.

The machine (I'm guessing based on the OS) is over 3 years old -- have you ever done any internal dust bunny cleaning, ram stick reseating?

Have you done the firmware updates?

I have better than 50% disk space available. I worked in IT for years so I run as tight a ship as I can with things like firmware/os updates. It's one of the unibodies which are a bear to get in but I do blow out the slots etc. It's odd as I have NO other issues. I would expect some indicator of possible system failure to more than just uTorrent. Just very odd. Thank you for the reply. Just curious as I don't deal in malicious code but is it possible that something I'm downloading could be causing the system crash?

Will

As you indicated, *something* has changed. Take a peek at your diagnostic, crash, hang, & system logs. If you have an external bootable backup available, you can test-by-substitution the old-failing-HD possibility.

Malware is a possibility, I suppose. I use the free Sophos Mac Home because it was the first to satisfy my requirements (live protection, scan-on-demand, low resource overhead, "instant" auto-updates, PPC compatibility because that is what I had at the time, clean-isolate-delete options) Other suitable ones have become available since then e.g. Avast, Avira, etc

Archived