My uTorrent is a mess...help!

Tobaccoblender

I've been using for torrent fairly successfully for a couple of years now, but it seems to be in a bad state at the moment.

If I knew how to attach a file to this post, I could attach a screenshot to help show what's going on....

But in the meantime I'll try to explain.

My downloading and seeding are really spotty. Sometimes it'll soar away up to 125kB/s (the max my internet provider allows me) and maybe go on like that for 10 mins or so, then it'll fall back to anything from zero to 9 or 10.

Quite often if I shut uTorrent down and restart it, it'll get going again, but most often not.

I'm pretty sure all is not well with my portforwarding (but that's always been the case and it didn't seem to matter in the past). I have a program called PortChecker which pings my router and always comes back saying PortChecker was able to ping your router But your port is not open or not reachable.

I also have PF Config, and this has never once managed to communicate with my router. I have entered the correct username and password (and I've confirmed these by going into the router myself using those passwords- no problems) but it always times out and never gets into the router.

So I have no idea what status my port forwarding is in and don't know how to get further down that road....

Can anybody help me with step by step troubleshooting to get my torrenting back on track?

Thanks alot in advance!

I could attach a screenshot to help show what's going on
Upload it somewhere put the URL between [ img ]image uri [ /img] tags

http://user.utorrent.com/help/guides/connection-setup

I also have PF Config, and this has never once managed to communicate with my router.
Probably because home routers have the control port blocked from 'outside' by default.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107155735033634841321/January82013#5830984812483459266

Hi there ciaobaby, ok, hope the above url works......If it does, you'l probably notice the little yellow triangle saying there are no incoming connections...thing is, that's always there even if downloads are working...it's tough for an old fart like me to understand!

Also, can I go into my router and unblock the control port, to allow PF Config to get in there and kick it into shape?

I went back to the old version because the problems all started when I installed the latest version (possibly co-incidental, but I'm suspicious).

I force start a new torrent simply because if I've got a couple of others going (but with them just sitting there saying 'downloading' evening though there's no data downloading), I force the start to see if the new torrent will actually download instead of being queued.

Ok, I'll download the new version, get it going with only one torrent and see what happens. Will report back shortly...

In fact, all is not quite as perfect as I thought - it seems one strange problem remains:

When I shut down the computer and come to restart it again, I have no uTorrent!

No shortcut, the uTorrent filefolder in Program Files is empty, no sign of it anywhere.

Then I go to the website, download it again, install it, and up it comes, with the list of torrents I was seeding, all fine. But as soon as I reboot next time, all is gone again.

Any ideas anybody?

Thanks

No shortcut, the uTorrent filefolder in Program Files is empty,

If you are installing 3.3 or 3.4 the exe files are installed in %appdata%/utorrent/ rather than in %programfiles%/utorrent/

"Sand boxing" by the way, is a system that allow applications to be run in a "safe" environment so that any malware will not permanently infect the machine.

I'm not sure where "%appdata%/utorrent/" is... can you point me in the right direction so I can look to see if it's there?

But nonetheless, even if it is there, it still appears in practice as if I have no utorrent and I still have to download it again to have it running after boot-up, so do you have any idea what I should try to do to resolve this?

I've definitely never installed any sandboxing system.....

I'm not sure where "%appdata%/utorrent/" is... can you point me in the right direction so I can look to see if it's there?

But nonetheless, even if it is there, it still appears in practice as if I have no utorrent and I still have to download it again to have it running after boot-up, so do you have any idea what I should try to do to resolve this?

I've definitely never installed any sandboxing system.....

Hi tobaccoblender,

To get to %appdata%\utorrent, just paste that text in the address box in Windows Explorer, the search box in your Start menu in recent versions of Windows, or most efficiently by hitting WIN-R to bring up the "Run" dialog, and paste it in there. %appdata% will be expanded by Windows to the correct folder in your file system (it's a hidden folder).

I don't represent Bittorrent or uTorrent - but one way to get the link to uTorrent to appear in your start menu, is: (1) open the %appdata%\utorrent folder in a window, as I just described; (2) right-click "All Programs" or "Programs" in your start menu and then choose "Open" or "Explore". This opens up a Windows Explorer window that holds some of the shortcuts for your programs (the ones that are installed per-user rather than system wide). (3) In the utorrent folder, find utorrent.exe. Right-click, Copy. (4) In the "Start Menu" folder, double-click "Programs", then optionally click into the uTorrent folder if there is one; (5) Right-Click, Paste Shortcut, (6) If it appears as "Shortcut to uTorrent" or similar, rename it to just read "uTorrent". (7) uTorrent is now on your start menu! You can close the Explorer Windows.

If you want uTorrent to automatically start when you sign-in to you computer, go to Preferences>General>Windows Integration (group) and checkmark "Start uTorrent when Windows Starts" (optionally also checking "Start Minimized".)

LT

Thank you, lovetour, that's a great little tutorial you did for me!

I followed your instructions but when I got to (3) I flailed. When you say "in the utorrent folder..." do you mean in the windows explorer winow that opened when I ran %appdata%\utorrent or did you mean in the explorer winow that opened when I right clicked on 'all programs' in the start menu? Because neither window has a utorrent folder.

Sorry if I'm being stupid.....

Archived