Why do my peers keep disappearing?

vanclute

I'm running UTorrent 1.81.

Downloading a particular torrent, I noticed that the download speed indicated kept disappearing, then starting over again and slowly ratcheting upwards, until it would repeat the process. If I watch the Peers tab, I can see that periodically - maybe every minute or two - all peers vanish and start populating again.

What is causing this? I haven't noticed this on any other download. Obviously it's slowing down my average download speed considerably.

Watch your tracker list countdown (select the problem item from your list then select the "Trackers" tab) and see if your problem appears as each countdown time finishes/recycles. You might consider dumping some specific trackers (i.e. very short interval times, 404, ---)

Bear in mind that the trackers are at work allocating/prioritizing connections -- and sometimes a bit of patience is required for all that to sort out as the tracker deals with the assorted available (and ever-changing) resources. Not all trackers are equal in their ability to deal with it. As you look at your tracker list in the problem torrent --- keep a closer eye on any unique trackers (i.e. they do not appear on your OK torrents) as a possible deletion.

Archived