failed hash check on many small pieces

DumbGirl

This torrent only has 1 seeder so I can't ban him and most of the pieces I get are good. I can live with quite a few bad pieces because they are in mp3 audio book files. My problem is that utorrent keeps trying to download the bad pieces over and over and over and won't switch to trying a new good piece.

I can't skip complete files because too many of them have a bad piece. What I need is a way to make utorrent stop hash checking all the pieces. I check-mark don't hash check when I load the .torrent but this only works for uploading and not downloading :(

This is the only audiobook torrent with a seeder out there so I can't just get another torrent somewhere else. I have almost all private and public sites to choose from.

I set my ban threshold and ban ratio so I don't ban the only seeder but I need a way to stop utorrent from trying to download the same bad pieces over and over and over. I need a way to tell it NOT TO HASH CHECK or to skip single pieces ( not complete files ) It keeps trying to download the same bad piece 50 times in a row :(

any advice you can give a dumb girl will be greatly appreciated

thank you in advance

Sounds like uTorrent didn't anticipate your use case. I'm not a real expert though. It's an interesting question. If you don't ban people, of course you don't want to keep asking them for the same bad piece -- that's just bad bad bad :).

It would be nice for uTorrent to never try to download the same piece twice from the same user, or at least, only after all other pieces are finished and all other avenues for getting that piece have been tried. But that would be more info to keep track of and complexity in an unusual use case, when banning is the normal behavior.

What if you LET it ban any client sending you bad pieces? Look, that "only seeder" is NOT an actual seeder if it doesn't have all the pieces correctly (it probably doesn't really have all the pieces period). Instead, see what you can get from all the clients with sending correct pieces. It may be as much as that "Seeder" has anyway. Then see if it's complete enough to play.

LT

as I stated, the one seeder has plenty of good pieces, I just need to stop the hash check on the bad pieces so I can get the good ones. It's ridiculous that it keeps trying to download the same bad pieces over and over and over. The only way I can stop it is, stop the torrent. Unload the torrent and reload the torrent and hope it starts on another piece. I am only getting 1-5 KB from the guy to start with so it's a 2-3 day affair but it's a month if I have to keep trying to stop it from going after the bad pieces forever.

* cries

I can't skip complete files because too many of them have a bad piece. What I need is a way to make utorrent stop hash checking all the pieces.

No you don't. This guarantees corruption in the download.

What you need is to let uTorrent eventually ban for the bad pieces and get them from other sources and/or fix your own setup to make sure it's not the cause.

Archived