Pre-selection of wanted files for download

Balza'mon

Hi hi peeps. Well, I am not sure this is a bug but I' report it anyways. basically, The torrent is a 159GB total, which will be past my monthly transfer cap. I noticed after pre-selection, the download starts. I checked the next time I wake up (Files tab) and find all the files are downloading

Does any people have this issue? :|

Peace

Edit: I am using 3.2.3 build 28705

Unofficial response: The transfer cap does not limit the START of downloads that might eventually hit your transfer cap. uTorrent uses a rolling period of the length specified (e.g. 31 days) for the transfer cap. Each day, when your uploads, downloads or uploads+downloads hit the transfer cap, download and/or upload activity will be suspended at that moment, until I think midnight, when the next day's allowance is considered and transfers will continue will continue (if uTorrent is running and the torrents are "started"). I think I described that accurately (it might use an exact rolling period from the current time 31 or x days ago, I just don't remember... in which case you would see transfers simply start and stop throughout the day after initially hitting the limit, and indefiinitely into the future until your pending downloads and.or uploads reduce and your daily average falls lower). Some applications that monitor network activity allow you to specify specific rollover days to coincide with your billing period, where everything will be reset, but uTorrent just uses a rolling period.

You can check in Options>Preferences>Transfer Cap to see where you currently stand. As long as you are below the transfer cap listed there, your connection will not be limited in any way by your transfer cap settings.

Unless it's continuing past the transfer cap, there is no bug.

LT

Unofficial response: The transfer cap does not limit the START of downloads that might eventually hit your transfer cap. uTorrent uses a rolling period of the length specified (e.g. 31 days) for the transfer cap. Each day, when your uploads, downloads or uploads+downloads hit the transfer cap, download and/or upload activity will be suspended at that moment, until I think midnight, when the next day's allowance is considered and transfers will continue will continue (if uTorrent is running and the torrents are "started"). I think I described that accurately (it might use an exact rolling period from the current time 31 or x days ago, I just don't remember... in which case you would see transfers simply start and stop throughout the day after initially hitting the limit, and indefiinitely into the future until your pending downloads and.or uploads reduce and your daily average falls lower). Some applications that monitor network activity allow you to specify specific rollover days to coincide with your billing period, where everything will be reset, but uTorrent just uses a rolling period.

You can check in Options>Preferences>Transfer Cap to see where you currently stand. As long as you are below the transfer cap listed there, your connection will not be limited in any way by your transfer cap settings.

Unless it's continuing past the transfer cap, there is no bug.

LT

Oh uhm.. What I meant is by the cap was based on my ISP, which is 125GB/monthly.

As for utorrent's Transfer Cap I set it to limit to uploads, but from first impression it limits both downs and ups. I had to use the force option to start the download that was in queue.

once again I tried preselecting the files before it starts, but it still keeps downloading *all* the files.

Oh uhm.. What I meant is by the cap was based on my ISP, which is 125GB/monthly.

125GB Upload, 125 GB download, or 125GB upload+download?

As for utorrent's Transfer Cap I set it to limit to uploads, but from first impression it limits both downs and ups. I had to use the force option to start the download that was in queue.

The transfer cap limits download, uploads, or both, depending on what you selected in the Preferences pain - Options>Preferences>Trasnfer Cap>Cap Settings (group)>Limit Type can be set to "Uploads", "Downloads", or "Uploads+Downloads"...

If you only want to cap uploads, select "Uploads".

once again I tried preselecting the files before it starts, but it still keeps downloading *all* the files.

You mean in the big torrent you started you want to only download certain files?

Then, highlight the torrent in the list. Select the Files tab along the bottom of the uTorrent window. click on one of the files. Hit Ctrl-A to select all. Then Right-Click and select "Don't Download". Then highlight the ones you do want to download, right click>priority>normal to enable their download. You can select multiple files at one with combinations of shift and ctrl-clicking that you may already be familiar with from other applications (like Windows Explorer) - or you can set the priority a file at a time.

I noticed after pre-selection, the download starts. I checked the next time I wake up (Files tab) and find all the files are downloading

Are you trying to say that "skipped" files are being downloaded?

If so, that is probably because part, or all, of the "skipped" file is in a piece that is required for other files in the torrent.

OR

Are you saying that the selections made in the add dialogue are being ignored when the job is added to the GUI and nothing is marked as Skip(0) in the priority column?

125GB Upload, 125 GB download, or 125GB upload+download?

both up and down

The transfer cap limits download, uploads, or both, depending on what you selected in the Preferences pain - Options>Preferences>Trasnfer Cap>Cap Settings (group)>Limit Type can be set to "Uploads", "Downloads", or "Uploads+Downloads"...

If you only want to cap uploads, select "Uploads".

I set the limit type to upload and bump queue settings I've set it to 14 active downs, it still queues teh torrent.

You mean in the big torrent you started you want to only download certain files?

Then, highlight the torrent in the list. Select the Files tab along the bottom of the uTorrent window. click on one of the files. Hit Ctrl-A to select all. Then Right-Click and select "Don't Download". Then highlight the ones you do want to download, right click>priority>normal to enable their download. You can select multiple files at one with combinations of shift and ctrl-clicking that you may already be familiar with from other applications (like Windows Explorer) - or you can set the priority a file at a time.

Gotcha. I'll try it. Thanx. :)

I noticed after pre-selection, the download starts. I checked the next time I wake up (Files tab) and find all the files are downloading

Are you trying to say that "skipped" files are being downloaded?

If so, that is probably because part, or all, of the "skipped" file is in a piece that is required for other files in the torrent.

OR

Are you saying that the selections made in the add dialogue are being ignored when the job is added to the GUI and nothing is marked as Skip(0) in the priority column?

Acutally I boobed. it s not all the files but roughly 50+ that should have been skipped. I've used Lovetour's suggestions and let's wait and see if works.

If the files you want to skip have already been created on disk, I don't think this will delete them,

So you can delete them and then do a Force Recheck on the torrent, since it may try to seed from the skipped with it's knowledge that it downloaded some data already (unless you do Force Re Check).

LT

• 2 weeks later...

Archived