Port forwarding test is always OK

i3v

That is very strange. You might try rebooting, as well as scanning your computer for viruses and malware.

Some malware installs secret P2P software that tries to distribute itself and infect other vulnerable machines via P2P. It's concievable that such software is connecting to your uTorrent port even if your computer is disconnected from your network.

Also make sure you haven't selected a port used internally by Windows file sharing or something. Choose 0 for random, or a port number > 10000 to be safe. You probably want automatic port mapping to help in automatically navigating routers. Check the connection guide for help in getting port forwarding working once you resolve your current "false positive" issue.

You can also use a third party website to verify a connection can bee made to your computer on a specific port, such as whatmyip.org/port-scanner. Use the Custom Port Test and enter the port you have uTorrent configured for. This should be a reliable result that your IP has SOME server answering on that port. It it says no connection can be made, th port is closed, or similar, then you have a definitive answer that port forwarding is NOT working.

ciaobaby, doesn't the test ask a bittorrent server to attempt a connection (technically not a ping as that is a different port/protocol)?

Otherwise, most home routers, even given your external internet IP and port, will never send the test out to the internet but handle it as an intra lan connection that verifies nothing.

the speed test part of the operation has to send a payload to, and receive a payload, from a known locatation certainly, but simply checking a connection only needs to send a 'ping'. Ping in this context being a series of TCP/UDP L4 (Application Layer) packets NOT necessarily the ICMP 'ping'

I strongly agree with lovetour.

This "test" is misleading and confusing. If it only tests a tiny single condition, that is required but insufficient for successful connection from other clients, it should either clearly warn about this, or it's better to completely remove this test (and, maybe add a link to an external tool to do the job).

I strongly agree with lovetour.

This "test" is misleading and confusing. If it only tests a tiny single condition, that is required but insufficient for successful connection from other clients, it should either clearly warn about this, or it's better to completely remove this test (and, maybe add a link to an external tool to do the job).

My understanding is as DreadWingKnight indicated: that it DOES ask an external server to connect to you to perform the Network Test in the Setup Guide (left-click the rightmost icon in the status bar, Ctrl-G, or Options>Setup Guide on the menu.

You might get a green checkmark under other circumstances, but the Setup Guide's Network Test should be reliable.

If that Network Test gives a positive result when you disconnect your computer from your WiFi or LAN connection entirely, and if DreadWingKnight and I are correct, then it would tend to indicate that your computer somehow has another server running (besides uTorrent) that is responding to uTorrent's Network Test, or at the very least that some other process on your computer is connecting to uTorrent's listening port. When you are not connected to any network, the only IP you can connect to is 127.0.0.1, the "loopback interface", which is your own computer (well, probably also 127.0.0.2 which is an alternate loopback interface). It is also the only computer, obviously that can connect to you--yourself.

If you are using the Network Test, and DreadWing and I are correct, you should look to see what else is going on on your computer, as the problem wouldn't really lie in uTorrent. Well, perhaps it would be possible that uTorrent is setting itself up for problems if you changed the listen port as I discussed before to one reserved for some service that Windows will automatically try to connect to. Make sure and use a high port number, or a random one.

Please report back with your solution if you resolve the issue. And obviously if someone has more ideas for you, or knows something that applies and hasn't already been mentioned, please add to the discussion as well :)

LT

lovetour

:D :D Maybe i misunderstood you

Any way, I'm unable to reproduce it any more (although it was reproducible). Next time this happens, I'll capture a video :)

I don't have anything special soft to behave like external server. (at least I think so :) )

I'm using port 40232. It's static,

Thank for your answers, anyway!

OK, but my point is that you have tested nothing unless the packets originate from the internet. The crude analogy to finding out if your new phone can get incoming calls requiring someone else to call you seems to apply.

Actually for BT in the UK, if you dial 175 (17070 followed by a 1 on newer systems) on a digital exchange the system will actually ring you back automatically, as soon as you hang up the phone.

May be different number for you, depending on what country you live in of course.

Ciao, I think "originates" must have been a poor choice of words. The word "traverses" in it's place should hopefully communicate my point. Take BT in the UK: I doubt if you disconnect from the network, like the OP did (e.g. cut the phone wires to the house) dialing 175 or the like would have the desired effect.

Archived