"Source computer not turned on"-but it is

rbowser

I'm trying to share a file privately. I dragged content into uTorrent's interface, made the Torrent. I have my computer on and uTorrent open with the file open, it's seeding.

The URL sent to my friend's computer doesn't work. After installing uTorrent, when the URL is clicked, it says "source computer not turned on"-etc. -

?

rbowser

Are there any trackers in the torrent?

Did you upload the torrent file somewhere (not an indexing site) so your friend can download it and add it?

Thanks for the reply, ciaobaby

I guess I've misunderstood. I thought there was a simple, more direct way of sharing a file privately with just one person. I thought that after dragging the file in, and making the torrent, that the URL generated and sent would let that person download the file directly from my computer as long as it's on and I have uTorrent on with the torrent loaded.

You mean I still need to upload the file and the torrent to an online site?

rbowser

You either need to specify some public trackers or set bt.enable_tracker to true, which lets your client work as a basic tracker. If using the latter you either need a fixed IP from your ISP or make sure you do not restart your router. You can of course use a dynamic DNS service and use that name and port in your torrent files.

You then need to put the .torrent file some where your friend can download it from, or send it via email.

Provided you set the torrent 'private' it will not 'leak' to anyone other than the people who you tell about it, via DHT or PeX when using public trackers, and if you need to find public trackers, you can use this list

You either need to specify some public trackers or set bt.enable_tracker to true, which lets your client work as a basic tracker. If using the latter you either need a fixed IP from your ISP or make sure you do not restart your router. You can of course use a dynamic DNS service and use that name and port in your torrent files.

You then need to put the .torrent file some where your friend can download it from, or send it via email.

Provided you set the torrent 'private' it will not 'leak' to anyone other than the people who you tell about it, via DHT or PeX when using public trackers, and if you need to find public trackers, you can use this list

Oh. It's much more involved than I realized. I was going by instructions I found online where it says there are two easy ways to share files. I was trying to use the second method, sending content directly from my computer. Here's that page:

http://www.utorrent.com/help/guides/send-files

And here's the instructions I used:

"Send content from your computer

You can send any files on your computer - pictures, home video, your songs, documents - with this procedure:

Locate the file or folder you want to share.

Drag and drop the file or folder onto the µTorrent interface and then follow instructions. At the end of the process, click Copy Link. Now, send this link to whomever you’d like via e-mail, chat, etc.

When people receive your link:

They simply enter it into a Web browser to receive instructions and a download button. (And if they don't already have µTorrent, the download button will include a µTorrent client.)

* Note: Your computer and µTorrent must be on and serving your content at the time somebody is downloading it."

It's not clear at all that the process involves a lot more than just what's listed there.

rbowser

Archived