Odd auto-load problem

paqmanbiker

I've got auto load working just fine, however it's doing something weird. If I download a torrent file from the local pc or another pc on the network, and transfer it over the network to the directory, uTorrent loads it just fine. However, if I download a torrent file on my android phone and copy it over the network to the auto load directory, or if I'm away from home and drop it in via Dropbox or something, it won't load. The file goes into the directory just fine, but uTorrent won't load it. I have a feeling it's a permission thing, where windows 7 is marking that file with different permissions cause of where it came from, but I've compared two files, one downloaded from the phone and one from the pc, and the permissions look the same.

I did notice that windows put a block on the file originally cause it came from a different source, but I found out how to set windows to not do that and it didn't fix it.

Any ideas?

I did notice that windows put a block on the file originally cause it came from a different source,

Not a different source, but from an Internet source.

Internet downloads require explicit approval to be opened. This can be bypassed (at your own risk) by disabling "Zone checking"

Well that kind of bites. There were a ton of articles a while back about using Dropbox to auto load torrents when you're away from home, and I couldn't find anything referencing this problem. Wouldn'tthat method run into the same issues?

Well I just tried using dropbox. I set my autoload folder to a folder inside my dropbox, then uploaded a torrent file to there from my phone. Same problem.

Edit: I just tried using a different dropbox account from another pc to upload a torrent file. So it was still having to go over the web and dropbox had to load it to my dropbox folder. And that worked. uTorrent loaded it just fine.

It seems to be only when my phone is involved. Not sure what it doesn't like about my phone.

Your phone is probably considered as "an Internet source", so you will need to add it to "Trusted Sites" in Control Panel -> Internet Options

That is a good idea, however, I wouldn't think it would be the phone that needs to be added, but rather dropbox.com, wouldn't it? After all, I'm simply uploading a file to my dropbox account. Dropbox is the one putting the file on my pc. Either way, I'm not sure how I would add my phone to trusted sites. I added https://www.dropbox.com, and http://www.dropbox.com, but that didn't seem to do it either. This is a puzzling one. There's got to be a good way to do this.

Ok a bit more information. Uploading a file from a pc to my dropbox folder works fine. The file traverses the vast interwebs and drops into my dropbox folder on my local pc and utorrent loads it just fine. So it doesn't have to do with dropbox either. It has to be something with my phone. I'm not sure if it's really trusted sites, but it seems that my phone puts something on that file. Gotta be permissions, but they all look fine. There were a few difference in permissions, for instance, there was a "WMPNetworkSvc" user in there, but it didn't have any deny check marks by it. Either way, just to make it exactly the same as the other file, I removed that user, and added a couple other users with permissions to make it's permissions EXACTLY the same as the other file. When they were exactly the same, I put it into the autoload folder and it still didn't work. Something deep and dirty in the meta or something is halting this guy.

Wow this is interesting. Sorry for going on and on like this but I find this very interesting. I realized that I hadn't even tried to manually load any of these torrents I'm downloading from my phone. So I tried to just load the torrent manually, and it gave me an error: "torrent is not valid bencoding". So it's not even an autoload problem. And it's not a problem with this torrent. I downloaded the same torrent from a pc, and it had no problems.

I found a post on the forums here mentioning this and one person solved it by unzipping the .torrent container. Basically I added a ".zip" to the end of the file name, opened it up with winrar, then extracted the .torrent file inside that to my autoload folder. uTorrent then loaded it automatically with no issues.

So I don't know what my phone is doing to it, but it's weird, and I don't know how to fix it. Unless if I can come up with a script that will rename the file to .zip, then subsequently extract it into the autoload folder, the dropbox solution is still usless.

if the file extension can be changed to .zip and it extracts successfully, then they are NOT .torrent files that you are trying to load.

No they definitely are. But my phone is doing something to them. I have downloaded the same torrent on my pc and on my phone, and it will work from the pc, not from the phone. Also, if they are not .torrent files, how would you explain that adding .zip to them, then extracting them works, and the torrent loads just fine? Believe me, these are legit torrent files that work fine from one source, just not from my phone.

Also, as I said, I received that solution from right here on these forums:(http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=106182) (I also realize that the other helpful folks in that forum were saying the same thing, that his torrents might not actually be torrents.)

That being said, I'm not saying that the .torrent files are archives or anything, but doing that strips out something that my phone is putting on them. Perhaps my phone is automatically archiving the files in some manner but not appending a new prefex to the files.

Anyway, I was able to use Belvedere to automatically rename the .torrent files to *.torret.zip. Then I was able to write a small script using 7zip to automatically unzip them and move them into the autoload folder, and they are loading just fine now.

Stupid that I had to go through all that trouble, and I hope I find a solution to the phone issue.

No they definitely are. But my phone is doing something to them.

Maybe when they start off, they are BUT your phone (or something about your network) or the Dropbox app on your phone is compressing them for transfer. If they were still .torrent, binary encoded file 7zip, Winzip, WinRAR etc would fail with an "Unknown compression format" error.

Bit of research discovers that Dropbox uses do transparent "loss-less" compression on files as they are transferred, so the logical deduction is that your phone is bypassing the decompression for some reason.

You're right my phone is probably compressing them. However its not Dropbox. This problem occurs even if I don't use Dropbox box. For example, if I'm on my home network, and I download a torrent file on my phone, and copy it directly to the auto load folder in my pc via wifi, skipping Dropbox entirely, the problem still occurs, and my unzipping solution still works. Not sure what my phone is doing.

If I download a file on another pc completely out of my home network, and use Dropbox to upload the file, then it works with no problems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good to hear I'm not the only one . But my solution up above has been perfect, so if you wanna try it and need more explanation, let me know.

yeah I get it, but there would be something to be said for the convenience of just starting the torrent from my phone. I'd like to avoid using my work computer to download torrent files. I just wish I could figure out what exactly happens to the torrent when you download it on the android device, Its more of a quest for knowledge now.

I found out about something called url droplet which downloads directly to your dropbox, but I haven't been able to get it working as of last week, the site says they are working on it though. theoretically this would be the solution

Archived