Download only a small percentage of each file

Partyforever5088

Lets say for example I have a 20gb torrent with 10,000 MP3s. I just want 10% downloaded of every MP3 that is in the torrent file. I can open the mp3 file with say VLC media player or another video / mp3 player and listen to the part that is downloaded. And then if I like the song, download it - set the file to download.

So I'm not sure if you can do it already, but it would be an immensely powerful way not to download 20GB of MP3s before listening to them, say just downloading 10% or 20% of the song, hear if I like it and then to download only selected songs. So if you can bring that feature into utorrent, it would be immensely useful for mp3 downloads.

Or is there some way to do that already? Download say X% of each file first?

Or is there some way to do that already? Download say X% of each file first?
No, you can set priority on the first and last pieces of files by setting bt.prio_first_last_piece to true.

Other than that bittorrent clients do not have a concept of "files" they understand "pieces", which are blocks of data which, when assembled in the correct order create files.

The closest you can come perhaps is downloading 10% of the files in the torrent to sample. Mark most of the files "Do not download" and let it download a sampling of them of your choice. If many of the files are related, this can be helpful to identify which sets of files you want to select for download later.

Interesting feature idea. It could theoretically be implemented.

LT

Archived