Extreme Newbie requires advice

JimW

I only use Torrent downloading very occasionally, and just last night I saw that I was expected to upload something if I downloaded something.

I don't want to be going against proper procedure but howdo I go about this? First of all, What sort of thing should I upload, and where to? Also a few hints on how would be appreciated.:(

Thanks

JimW

and just last night I saw that I was expected to upload something if I downloaded something.

By whom?

By (apparently) Torrent users in general. It seems it is impolite to just take stuff off the Torrent without putting up (seeding?) more.

JimW

By (apparently) Torrent users in general. It seems it is impolite to just take stuff off the Torrent without putting up (seeding?) more.

well duh, its a "sharing" community, but you still have your excuses like a slow internet connection or not opening ur PC for too long, its not necessary, but a very cool thing to do :cool:

I don't want to be going against proper procedure but howdo I go about this? First of all, What sort of thing should I upload, and where to? Also a few hints on how would be appreciated.:(

Hope you understand that by default your µTorrent client automatically uploads chunks of files you had downloaded to other downloaders of the same torrent. Thus upload happens in parallel to your download. In most cases, people just expect you to keep running the same torrent you downloaded for some more time after you had downloaded it completely so that new downloaders can get it from you. How long is upto you. You can see the ratio of your upload/download below the Ratio column against each torrent listed in µTorrent.

Archived