µTorrent 3.3 Stable

cmeisel

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new Disk I/O system is unstable.

I have a dedicated XP box with nothing installed except uTorrent which runs 24/7.

It has been this way for YEARS.

I have no trouble running any versions of uTorrent prior to 3.3.

In fact, 3.2.0 build 27886 is running stably right now and has no trouble running for weeks at a time without incident. (So, blaming my machine is a bit ridiculous.)

When running 3.3, uTorrent eventually stops writing to the disk, sometimes within minutes, but always within 48 hours. It continues transfers afterwards, putting the data in the cache until it eventually crashes. Exiting uTorrent after the disk subsystem has stopped results in the uTorrent process never stopping. Stopping the process results in all files downloading being in an invalid state and requiring re-checking.

Specific versions I've seen this error in include:

3.3.0 29126

3.3.0 29342

3.3.1 29213

Here are screen caps from Disk Statistics and Disk Timing after a particularly brief run and failure.

http://imageshack.us/a/img10/7079/diskstatistics.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/512/disktiming.png

Note the bottom left pane of Disk Statistics screen, uTorrent starts downloading, file writing to disk stops but uTorrent continues downloading to cache until I pause all downloads at the end of the graph. The uTorrent process never recovers and never writes out the data from cache. As you can see on the left in Write Statistics, cache size is 861MB of 31.9 MB.

As to cache settings, in basic settings both boxes are unchecked, in advanced all boxes are checked.

I have never installed 3.4, so problems do not stem from it not being uninstalled properly.

I have the same issue as excry4t3d. Utorrent runs for a short period of time normally, then reports 100% disk overload, a resorts to downloading at just a few killerbites, totlalling about 9 gigs of download. Increasing the cache size gets a little further. it also refuses to close and I have to force it, probably cuz it is trying to write everything it cached, but can't.

Any way just to return to a previous version?

Thanx

As you can see on the left in Write Statistics, cache size is 861MB of 31.9 MB.

As to cache settings, in basic settings both boxes are unchecked, in advanced all boxes are checked.

Clearly a bug, since it should never exceed the set cache limit. I can suggest for you two to try my cache settings (in my sig/tips). It just reduces the chance for the bug to manifest itself - hopefully to zero...

Any way just to return to a previous version?

Old exe's are in your <install-location>\update folder . No idea how to auto-restore them, so just examine their "properties" and replace the exe...

I have a problem using uTorrent 3.3 when I click to download a torrent, it automatically starts to download it without asking me in which directory to download it and do I want to download the full torrent or only part of it.I must have accidentally changed some of the settings.Could you please tell me how to restore the initial settings to fix this problem.

Kind regards.

As you can see on the left in Write Statistics' date=' cache size is 861MB of 31.9 MB.

As to cache settings, in basic settings both boxes are unchecked, in advanced all boxes are checked.[/quote']

Clearly a bug, since it should never exceed the set cache limit. I can suggest for you two to try my cache settings (in my sig/tips). It just reduces the chance for the bug to manifest itself - hopefully to zero...

I applied those settings long ago.

net.low_cpu = true

reduce memory usage when the cache is not needed - unchecked

gui.transparent_graph_legend = false

pre-allocate All Files - checked

No you didn't. Not all (there is at least one that I can see...). Just try and use my file... :P

Loaded up your settings file and I'll try to get the disk subsystem to crash now. So far it's gone for an hour.

On to the next problem with 3.3+

UI Freezing while CPU spikes.

http://imageshack.us/a/img203/5137/bandwidthl.png

http://imageshack.us/a/img9/8849/cpuur.png

This is while it's going full speed on my connection, 15MBit down 2Mbit up.

The CPU spikes still happen just as bad when no torrents are downloading, just seeding.

CPU is only a Pentium 3 866MHz, but uTorrent is the only thing it runs, so it is sufficient.

The CPU spikes roughly correspond to the times bandwidth is lost on downloads (makes sense) but what the hell is the new uTorrent doing every 90ish seconds that kills the CPU? DHT is disabled, so it should not be that. I am seeding about 100 torrents, but I've seeded 700 before and I don't recall the problem being any worse then. Ideas?

Also, thanks rafi for your help.

So far it's gone for an hour.

So far so good.... ;) Re-tested your CPU spikes with that settings ?

>I am seeding about 100 torrents... Ideas?

1. Don't. My settings do not allow that... :P

2. Upgrade your CPU/hardware... ;

So far it's gone for an hour.

So far so good.... ;) Re-tested your CPU spikes with that settings ?

>I am seeding about 100 torrents... Ideas?

1. Don't. My settings do not allow that... :P

2. Upgrade your CPU/hardware... ;

9 hours and disk subsystem still hasn't crashed, nice. Which utorrent checkbox do you suppose needs to be relabeled "crash disk I/O subsystem"? (On an unrelated note, where did the Preferences -> Directories "append torrents label" checkbox go in the latest version? I miss that.)

Those are fresh screen grabs with your settings file. It was also doing it before your settings.

It still spikes the CPU in the same intervals even with no torrents active, the CPU usage between the spikes is just far lower. Whatever it's doing is either broken, or needs to be spread out so it's not freezing up the UI. I'd bet it does it on other hardware as well, my old hardware just makes the spike more noticeable since it plateaus at 100% for far longer than a new CPU would.

1. What needs to be changed in your settings to "allow" 100 seeding torrents. (It looks like they're seeding fine to me...) It is very rare that any of them are active, but I will be keeping 100 seeding for the foreseeable future.

2. Shall I PM you the address to send the new hardware or the email address to send the PayPal money for the new hardware? :P uTorrent runs fine on the dedicated 25 watt box. It keeps it from slowing down my personal desktop and I don't have to run my 200 watt desktop 24/7.

Which utorrent checkbox do you suppose needs to be relabeled "crash disk I/O subsystem"?

Advanced->Disk-cache Override auto.... = 32M (default) + unchecked...

+ General->preallocate - unchecked

+ how should I know what else you've set on your own... ;)

Preferences -> Directories "append torrents label" checkbox go in the latest version?

It's probably waiting for the full implementation of auto-label->directory conversion, that was broken and removed. Bug the devs...

1. What needs to be changed in your settings to "allow" 100 seeding torrents.

Pref->queuing -> Max active torrents

uTorrent runs fine on the dedicated 25 watt box.

A good use-case-test-box... Keep the test reports coming... :P

And for me - this is called a flat CPU line... no 100% or 10% spikes. Maybe you AV acts up or something...

http://www.imagebam.com/image/dfe408244000008

Could you please tell me how to restore the initial settings to fix this problem.

Restoring initial settings:

- exit uT

- Copy/backup your settings.dat file

- Delete it.

- Create an empty text file and rename to settings.dat

- restart uT

Done. All settings are the defaults.

Which utorrent checkbox do you suppose needs to be relabeled "crash disk I/O subsystem"?

Advanced->Disk-cache Override auto.... = 32M (default) + unchecked...

+ General->preallocate - unchecked

+ how should I know what else you've set on your own... ;)

And for me - this is called a flat CPU line... no 100% or 10% spikes. Maybe you AV acts up or something...

http://www.imagebam.com/image/dfe408244000008

I crashed the disk subsystem again.

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/2065/diskcachefail2.png

Per the graph, it filled the 128MB cache and then stopped downloading. After a short bit, it decided to screw the cache limit and just put the rest of the data in there too.

How did I crash it? I selected 35 torrents, right click, Advanced, Set Download Location. Picked a shared drive on my server for each of them. It moved 32 before it died. Not sure if the copy killed it or if I started a new torrent before it was done and that killed it. But, when I started a new torrent it stuck on "allocating" and it downloaded all 763MB of torrent into the 128MB cache and won't write a thing to the disk. It is no longer moving any torrent data either, although the last 3 I moved still have a status of "Moving" It moved 14.6 GB of about 17GB before stopping.

As far as the CPU spikes, I have no AV and it's the utorrent process going to 100%...

An argument could be made that there are repeating spikes on your graph as well, you just have enough CPU that it finishes whatever utorrent is doing before it hits 100%. My P3 866MHz does not have that luxury, but I did not see the spikes with utorrent 2.x., so I don't know what utorrent is doing differently now.

Archived