torrents not opening

c3r3br4l

Build:3.3 beta 28965

Issue: utorrent won't add new torrents

Ok, so here's the issue: my utorrent wont add new torrents when I click on their magnet links or download the torrent and open the file. Utorrent itself will pop up, but the torrent isn't added. When I first googled the issue, i found out that for some reason a new update had started putting new torrents in a label called hidden. Once that happened I would have to go into the labels, remove the hidden label, and manually start the torrent. sure, fine, whatever, they'll fix it next update right? no. now my torrents aren't getting added at all. I know deleting and starting over from scratch is a possibility, but I'm currently seeding 200+ torrents so obviously I'd like to avoid having to try to add/reassociate them again to get them seeding and god forbid they start re-downloading the files, my up/down ratios would go to shit.

any one else having this issue/found another fix for it?

Update to the current release of 3.3 build 29010.

The simple fact is that the magnets you are loading have very few or no active/connectable peers. The hidden label comes into play for a loaded job that has NOT had the metadata populated. Magnets have to load this from other peers and if there are none it will remain dead until you remove the job.

the magnets i am unable to load have lots of active/connectable peers. also if it were a magnet issue, using the torrent files themselves would work. what they aren't doing is loading at all. i've added dead torrents before, thats not what this is. This is the torrents not being added. also, when I click check for updates i'm told the version i have is the newest version

The current build was updated a couple days ago to 3.3 build 29038, so for auto-update, there is a staggered system where only 1% or 2% of requests are serviced, to prevent the servers getting overloaded, you can update manually or wait.

what they aren't doing is loading at all.

Not appearing in the job list do you mean?

Hi there, Having the same problem as above.

I am currently running 3.3 build 29038 so that's not the problem.

Whenever I click a magnet link or download the torrent file and run manually, my utorrent client flickers as if a window is popping up but nothing does. Before the update it would display the window where i could select files and rename the torrent before clicking OK, this doesn't appear now.

8 out of 9 torrents that I have attempted to load have all failed to appear ANYWHERE (including in hidden labels folder). These torrents have over 1000 seeds.

I have tried deleting the resume files in %appdata%\utorrent... but that didn't fix it.

Lots of people having this problem all over this forum. Some are able to fix it, some are not. Some support or fixes would be super.

Thanks for the response.

Made the changes you suggested, still no dice.

Have tried opening the torrent file via the mirror link, downloading the torrent file and running it, dragging it into utorrent and using the add new torrent button. none of these have shown the pop-up window, however all will open utorrent to a blank joblist.

I read in another thread that someone thought it might have something to do with running dual monitors, can I ask if anyone else having this problem is also using dual monitors. I have tried disabling the second monitor though.

The second monitor 'problem' is when the 'add dialogue' was last displayed on the extended desktop and is therefore not visible when the extra monitor is not connected.

however all will open utorrent to a blank joblist.

Does selecting the 'Torrents' category on the sidebar bring the list back? If not we need a screen shot of the GUI (Main Window) with the sidebar visible.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue.

Utorrent was working fine this morning, then this afternoon, I tried adding a torrent, utorrent openned but nothing happened after that.

google shows the torrent file in downloads but there is nothing in my temptorrent folder where utorrent is to save .torrent files.

I've checked multiple torrent websites, and uninstalled and reinstalled 3.3.

Was there a change made today?

Just looked at the folder where utorrent saves to and for some reason it was read-only.

Changed the permissions and now it works.......

Tried it again and it is now no longer prompting me for a location to save the file, it goes to a downloads folder.

However, the settings in preferences do not have a location for saving files.

I'm having exactly the same issue. Click on the link as usual, uTorrent opens but no option is given to save the file anywhere/activate the download. I have the same issue if I save the torrent file & try to add it manually. I've successfully downloaded the same torrent using qbittorrent so the file is fine. This is driving me nuts!

v. 3.3 build 29126 32-bit

http://ciaobaby.info/screenshots/utorrent/preferences/3.2.3-prefs-ui-add.png

IF you use dual monitors or have used dual monitors try pressing Ctrl+O, Alt+[space], 'M' and use the cursor keys to move the dialogue back to your primary screen.

I did use two monitors but at the moment I am really only able to use one, and it feels like that might be my problem. However, I can't seem to be able to move them the way you instructed, mainly because the cursor only moves to the far left of the one screen I am using, not to the "imaginary" one. Do you happen to have a solution to this?

Edit: Grammatical errors.

Edit 2: Read the entire sentence, skipped the "and use the cursor keys" part earlier, THANKS for the help!

• 3 weeks later...

OK, read it again more carefully. If I have the "show options to change the name & location of torrent data" box without a tick, it works ok, albeit it takes a couple of minutes of "allocating."

I read your instructions as telling me to have the box with the tick. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same problem. all of the sudden no torrents can be loaded. I am using 3.3. I went back to 3.2.3 but that no longer worked. So, I went back to 1.8.2 and that does work. and what has dual monitors have to do with anything concerning adding torrents? Everything is set up the way it is supposed to be. Now, I have a good number of torrents seeding, and when I am completely done with them, I am going to unintall again uTorrent. Clean out the registry and may install it again. Other than that, I will switch to something else.

and what has dual monitors have to do with anything concerning adding torrents?

BECAUSE ... SOMETIMES the add dialogue is rendered on the disconnected monitor and therefore is "hidden" which makes it bloody difficult to click on the [OK] button.

Therefore jobs cannot be added!

• 4 months later...

As others have said here, the problem is that the dialogue window is being rendered in an area that is not visible to the user. In Windows 7 and 8, you can resolve this by using the "snap" feature. Immediately after adding a torrent (do not click on the main uTorrent window), hold the Windows key and push the left arrow key. This should make the dialogue box appear and fill the left half of your monitor. You should be able to drag it to a usable position, and the problem should be resolved in the future.

If you are an older Windows or other operating system, you may need to find a key shortcut to maximize the dialogue. This will also bring it back into view.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you have a dual monitor set up right after clicking on selected .torrent file hold down SHIFT+WINDOWS KEY then press Left Arrow (or Right Arrow), either way it should send it to a monitor.

I had this problem and forgot all about windows getting lost in dual monitor situations.

Archived