Error: The system can not find the path specified. (WriteToDisk)

kijurgas

I discovered that it was trying to save the file to some backwoods folder.  When going to save the file, make sure it's somewhere simple, like your downloads folder. Worked fine for me.

yes...why would it suddenly do that? some mysterious folder 'm' it created itself, into which it deposits the empty sub-folder of each aborted download as I tried different files of the same TV show, but all failed...

and how do you head it off , change the destination for that download?

I'm using version 3.4.1...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Experiencing similar issues here. Been experiencing this the last 3-4 weeks I think. Windows 8.1 Pro, uTorrent Beta 32257

First the RSS feed started to go wobbly on updates - sometimes it will update, sometimes not. In those cases it will not update the RSS feed at uTorrent startup, it will not update the feed at all until manually updated - that seems to "break it loose".

Next up - last ~3 weeks, I get these errors as in initial thread post. To my knowledge, nothing but uTorrent version has changed, I get the betas within 1-3 days of release. I double-checked permissions, access and such - download location is a NAS that doesn't sleep, period. I also checked file- and pathlength, all files well within limitations.

I instantly get this when any torrent is added - manually or by RSS feed. It will stay like this indefinitely - until I "stop"+"start", or "force start" the torrent - then it will go on successfully as nothing ever happened.

If they managed to break such essential functions - how do I roll back, and still keep RSS feeds & filters?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is how I fixed the issue for me...
i had my torrents set to download to my 'Downloads' folder (using Windows 8.1) and randomly all my torrents came up with that same error. I tried a bunch of things and none of them worked. THEN, I checked my downloads folder and I had a ton of stuff in there I didn't need anymore so I deleted a heap of folders. Next I force started all my torrents, and BAM, they all started downloading fine!!!

I just had this happen, and I figured out what went wrong.

I was typing something into my web browser when the magnet link I had just clicked popped up in uTorrent. When a new torrent is opened in uTorrent, a window appears, and the very first item on that window is highlighted, which is the Download Location for this torrent. It also uses by default, the previous download location, if no new location is given for the current torrent.

I had been typing, and the window stole my focus, and put gibberish as the download location. Every torrent I tried to download was trying to store in "b robot /". Needless to say, there is no such folder, and I got the error this post is about.

To fix it, I just went and downloaded another torrent, and when that window came up again, I set the download to my normal folder and Presto! Everything is roses again. :D

Hope this helps!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just put to download in another location. Right click on the link with error , advanced , set to download, and choose where you want. I hope that help you..

thats the only thing that works for me... i ve tried everything else in here...

but is there a more permanent solution?

i dont want to do it everytime i download a torrent

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Leaving this here in case it helps anyone. I had the same problem, obviously. UTorrent was for some reason(No real system/software changes to account for it) ignoring the default downloads path and following some odd set of instructions. It created a folder named "19" on my desktop over and over generating empty folders inside of that folder. If I deleted "19" it would just add it to my desktop again, even going to far as to generate a shortcut to "19" inside of the folder itself.

Reinstalling didn't work. There were no extraneous symbols added to folders(more often than not the actual torrent folders were never even generated.) Using the default download path I was far from the character limit.

What seems to have worked(I'm actually downloading correctly again, and hopefully that won't change) was forcing it to download to a non-default folder of my choosing.

I opened options->preferences(control+p default hotkey) then opened the directories tab.

Checked Put new downloads in:

and put a path I created folders for into the field provided. In my case D:\Cache\Downloads

Then I checked Store .torrents in:

and put a path i created folders for into the field provided. In my case D:\Cache\Downloads\Folder for .torrents

Then I went back and redownloaded both the .torrent data and the torrent contents and it is working now. Hope this was helpful to somebody.

to CIAOBABY  -- thank You so much for Your input.  Your advice about shortening the pathname worked and all is okay in my once very troubled cyberworld, once again, thanks to You!!  I don't know why this error started cropping up the day PirateBay was shut down (just three nights ago) and I'd like to understand why that is.  But for the meanwhile, I am ecstatic and am ready to quit my therapist!  Just kidding.

This occasionally happens to to me because I often change the torrent's name before downloading.  As already mentioned, an inadvertent space at the end of the name of the torrent name will cause this symptom.  This is always the cause for me so it is the first thing I check for.  This can be insidious because it is not immediatley apparent visually.  So, click on the name of the failing torrent to bring it into edit mode and verify there is no space at the end of name. If there is then you need to do a final step to update the actual file system location name.  After editing the name in uTorrent, right mouse click on it and go to Advanced - Set Download Location.  Select the default root location for your torrents and and then click Select.  That will sync the torrent folder (or file if no folder) to the correct no-space name you just edited.

I am having the same issue, "ERROR: The System Cannot Find The Path Specified (Write to Disk).  I tried most everything I could that was suggested and nothing seemed to work EXCEPT for the one thing that usually clears up problems like this.  I REBOOTED.  Problem gone,  BUT ... Within a few days I started getting the same error again.  So, I rebooted, problem solved.

Today, I got the same error again only this time, instead of the end stating (WriteToDisk), it added "Preallocate".  I have not rebooted as of yet, but I'm about to.  Based on all that I've been reading this has got to be a software issue.  Too many people are getting the same error, over and over, for it to all being blamed on incorrect settings, etc., considering the fact that the program will work for several days before once again causing problems.

I get the same error once in a while. There have been several different causes, but most often choosing a different file location solves the problem. Tonight, none of the recommended solutions worked. I finally deleted the torrent and all associated data, and started over again with a fresh download of the torrent. I used the same file name and location as before, and this time it worked.

My guess is that the torrent file downloaded incorrectly, and was issuing some sort of weird instructions. Starting over again with a fresh torrent file was a fast and easy fix for the problem this time. Will try that solution first the next time it happens. Hopefully that will continue to work.

• 4 weeks later...

Just ran across this issue myself. Someone here mentioned checking the folder it was saving to and that's what did it for me. Instead of saving to the downloads folder by default I had hit some keys when the screen popped up and that was what caused the error for me. 

Once you click on a torrent to download, it pops up a window on Utorrent where you can check/uncheck what you want to download. On that pop-up window on the top left is the box where it will save that download to. Check and make sure that box is pathing to the right folder.

Hope this helps someone.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that this will help that who is so desperately need to download the things that they i want 

i have the same prob im downloading 2 games 1st DOTA 2 v1014 and the GTA 4 when i download GTA 4 

it is so big i cant put it in drive C:/Program thats why i put it in drive E:/Marco and it works . Now i deleted my old windows that is soo big

and i got a free space i download dota 2 and the error comes out,i search some solution but when i click this website i dont know what all u guys were saying

and i look at gta 4 that i say to my self why gta 4 s downloading while dota cant then i realize that gta 4 is in drive E then i test it 

in DRIVE E and it works the pop up error didn't come out and thats why i solve my prob 

I HOPE THIS WORKS 

but if you dont want to save it in drive E its your choice   ^.^ 

when I used utorrent 3.3 before ,  the same probelm was that utorrent couldn't find the disk while downloading. But after a while, it would recover if you manually started the torrent.

Bucause my temporary BT disk was one 5-year-old Seagate 250gb disk, I thought the disk itself might cause the problem.

I am using utorrent 3.4.2 build 35141 with the same disk and everything is ok now.

Hope my experience can helps somebody.

• 2 months later...

So if you are getting this error, and restarting the torrent or the application fixes it, check the error log for the file name when it happens. The last 4 times it happened to me the error occurred when opening a file, and when I checked the file in question, it had a .!ut appended to it. 

This seems to be related to another issue where when the option append !ut to incomplete files causes utorrent to sometimes fail to remove the appended extension when the file reaches 100%. Specifically that error occurs, and then when utorrent tries to open the file for seeding, it cannot find it because its looking for "X:/download/test/test.jpg" and the file is still named "X:/download/test/test.jpg.!ut".

Restarting the torrent or client usually forces utorrent to update file-names and remove the !ut extension from completed files, which in turn resolves the secondary error we experience here.

• 3 months later...

I found this answer on the bittorrent forum and it worked for me, so I'll just copy it on here:

1) Open Windows Explorer and locate your download folder (whatever you have set)

2) Right click and check "Properties"

3) IF "Read Only" is highlighted - uncheck it!

Hope this helps  :)

Archived