µTorrent 3.3.1 RC

TylerW

I just want a torrent client without all the BS. I don't want it to install additional programs and I don't want it to lose all my downloads. Is there not a version of uTorrent that doesn't abuse my trust? Why would these errors even occur? I don't understand why this would happen? All I did was update it.

I tried to find the old resume file and did, but pasting it into the other folder did nothing. The only thing in the other fold is the utorrent exe file. Where am I supposed to put this file? Why did uTorrent have to change this? And why wouldn't it have been automatic? Why am I having to modify anything with this program?

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29565 Changes:

- Fix: upload rate limiter issue

Job well done! Seeding and downloading jobs seem to now work 'in harmony' with upload speeds nicely balanced between jobs and peers' date=' per the set limit(s) :)[/quote']

Yes, upload speeds are fully utilised now, thanks! Don't break it! ;)

You don't listen. You *need* the old dat files to upgrade w/o loosing your data.

Do exactly what I told you to.

I tried to move the .dat file. It did nothing. Unless I did it wrong, which is extremely likely.

With the other program installed, it only had the .exe file in it. I found my old resume file and moved it to that folder but it didn't change anything. I opened uTorrent and found nothing seeding etc. I downloaded a torrent to test it, closed the program and reopened and the download was gone. So I don't what the deal is.

I appreciate you trying to help. I apologize for being such a hot head. I just can't stand when companies do shady things.

I know I shouldn't really complain about a free service but I am anyways. I shouldn't have to worry about them secretly installing other programs on my machine without my consent. I think that is an extremely shady practice. And I don't think that I as a user should have to manually modify anything when upgrading their system. It should all be done by the program automatically.

Has the issue with exiting the application been addressed in this new build?

With Pref->advanced->bt.graceful_shutdown=false I get ~15 sec for uT to fully exit (3 seeding jobs/1 download job, ~300 connections). How long is it for you ?

The only issue I can see here is somewhat "heavy"/frozen behavior of the GUI for a few seconds after an exit command.

Using 3.3.1 beta 29565 I get this in the Logger tab alot, I've never seen it before in release or other beta versions. I haven't seen anyone post this. It's repeated many times about once an hour or so.

[DISTSHARE] Distributed Share Server did not like our request.

Using 3.3.1 beta 29565 I get this in the Logger tab alot, I've never seen it before in release or other beta versions. I haven't seen anyone post this. It's repeated many times about once an hour or so.

[DISTSHARE] Distributed Share Server did not like our request.

Hi,

We have an experimental feature called distributed share that we are testing in alphas & betas - that code is not turned on in release builds.

I'll forward your post to the Distributed Share team.

Thank you

With Pref->advanced->bt.graceful_shutdown=false I get ~15 sec for uT to fully exit (3 seeding jobs/1 download job' date=' ~300 connections). How long is it for you ?

The only issue I can see here is somewhat "heavy"/frozen behavior of the GUI for a few seconds after an exit command.[/quote']

Hi cfw,

We know that it sometimes shuts down very slowly, and we're still looking into this.

Does it seem to happen more often if you delete a torrent soon before shutting down?

Thanks for your patience.

Using 3.3.1 beta 29565 I get this in the Logger tab alot' date=' I've never seen it before in release or other beta versions. I haven't seen anyone post this. It's repeated many times about once an hour or so.

[DISTSHARE'] Distributed Share Server did not like our request.

Hi,

We have an experimental feature called distributed share that we are testing in alphas & betas - that code is not turned on in release builds.

I'll forward your post to the Distributed Share team.

Thank you

Can you or anyone go into some detail what this Distributed Share feature is?

I suppose it is waiting with the connections to close... Did you also try with Pref.->Advanced->graceful_shutdown - false ?

It seems to work like a charm but is it safe?

I've traced utorrent process down in task manager and found something weird when I close utorrent. One of utorrent thread holds upon svchost process which does not have actual thread number and the svchost is pending to close another svchost process which has the real thread number but does not exist in task manager (process explorer).

I posted yesterday complaining that I've lost all my downloads after updating to the newest version. I still have no idea how to fix it. It gives me an error message saying cannot save resume file or something like that - and all of the stuff I was downloading and seeding is gone. This is beyond frustrating. It was working just fine before. Every time uTorrent does an update my program stops working properly. I have about had it with this company. To make matters worse when I tried to reinstall it automatically installed a fake Registry Optimizer program and some other browser addon program!!! WTF IS WRONG WITH THIS COMPANY!? I do not appreciate your shifty attempts at adding garbage to my computer. That is some shady shit right there. What kind of company is this? Clearly not a company worth trusting.

Thanks for making yourself useless!

Hi djrobot,

To help, we'll need a little information.

- What was the version that you updated from?

- What was the version you updated to?

- What directory was You original install in?

- What files are in that directory now?

- What files are in %appdata%/utorrent ?

Thank you, and have a nice day!

With Pref->advanced->bt.graceful_shutdown=false I get ~15 sec for uT to fully exit (3 seeding jobs/1 download job' date=' ~300 connections). How long is it for you ?

The only issue I can see here is somewhat "heavy"/frozen behavior of the GUI for a few seconds after an exit command.[/quote']

On my system an ungraceful shutdown takes 35 secs (28 downloads, 3 seeds, 48 added but stopped, ~300 connections).

So that worked, but still, with 3.3 a graceful shutdown takes ~3 secs, so there's something going on here.

The graceful shutdown in the current 3.3.1 builds kill the GUI rather smooth, but the process itself is stuck in the shutdown loop. Just now as I was testing this I left it trying to shutdown and didn't kill it til 5 hours had passed.

Hi cfw,

We know that it sometimes shuts down very slowly, and we're still looking into this.

Does it seem to happen more often if you delete a torrent soon before shutting down?

Thanks for your patience.

Hi Adam,

Well, no, I usually add several magnets (all in the stopped state, since that has proven to be better in cases where things freeze up) and start them all and let them run a good while before I attempt a shutdown. The only changes that have occurred with the queue is where some transfers has completed and changed to seeding.

I'm a tad curious what if any changes you have made to the shutdown routines between 3.3 and 3.3.1, or maybe I'm just confused and 3.3 doesn't use a graceful exit and that's why it is lightning fast by comparison.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Do they still support XP? I believe yes. Why then not to support Win2k3? And why not to fix this introduced since v3 bug?

I didn't check yet the second epic (for me) bug in v3 - '&' in a label makes it unremovable. Just 'cause I can't even correctly exit uT - for a hour or so! Why am I sure that it's still there?

It's time to run old good v1.8 again. v3 doesn't seem to become usable.

Archived