µTorrent 3.3.1 RC

TylerW

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

--2013-05-16: Version 3.3.1 (build 29698)

- Fix: Crash at the end of install

The link on post #1 is, at the time of writing this, currently pointing to the previous beta build, 3.3.1.29692.

I was able to get 3.3.1.29698 by letting uTorrent update automatically.

(Incidentally, I got no crashes at end of install with the previous build, 29692, on Windows XP SP3).

The link on post #1 is' date=' at the time of writing this, currently pointing to the previous beta build, 3.3.1.29692.

I was able to get 3.3.1.29698 by letting uTorrent update automatically.

[/quote']

Can you check if it replaced your old EXE at the exact location it was before the update ? Where do you have it?

Can you check if it replaced your old EXE at the exact location it was before the update ? Where do you have it?

I cant because...

I updated uTorrent in SandBoxie first. The I ran the updates folder in SandBoxie to get the installer.

I do this because uTorrent doesn't install to Program Files - it didn't occur to me to see where the .exe was replaced.

I'll go back a build and see what happens as you asked. Back shortly....

(I have uTorrent installed in Program Files).

uTorrrent has decided it doesn't want to check now for new version :rolleyes:

I'll reboot computer...

Edit - I doesn't want to check now for some reason. I'll see what happens next time...

There might be an issue, forcing you to "edit" updates.dat and remove the new entry using BEncode util. (or just rename it)

I just deleted updates.dat and also removed 29698 from the updates folder.

It (uTorrent) just doesn't want to check for new version now :mad:

(Incidentally, all the updates options are still checked).

Do you have the exe at the same place as your settings files? or all are in %appdata%\utorrent ?

No. I always manually install to Program Files/uTorrent. The only thing in there is uTorrent.exe.

Everything else is in Application Data/uTorrent folder.

(If it looks a bit bare file wise, it's because I clean almost everything out of it - as long as I have no torrents - before installing new downloaded versions).

20130517_11h51m55s_001_uTorrent_zps6addf3de.jpg

3.3.1 b29698/Beta/RC: My 10 "most wanted"/open issues

Overall - looks like a job well done with 3.3.1 :)

Stopper issues:

1. The default cache size is still 32M and not 128M (speed-tab->Disk statistics->xx of 32 MB)[b29704]

2. Updating with "standalone" exe+settings -> puts the new exe into %appdata%\uTorrent (with wrong settings) instead of just replacing the exe. Plus, backup/restore operation is not documented anywhere...

3. "Add torrent" dialogue option ( 'Create - subfolder') are not being preserved/persistent in the subsequent "Add"s

Other known issues that might effect some people:

4. Auto-shutdown options do not take forced seeding jobs into account, and aborts them even when set to "when everything completes" ...

5. Occasional 'Disk overload' throttles speeds with some users, mainly at higher speeds (for unknown reasons, yet... ) http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=729144#p729144

6. Help file not updated yet for 3.3.1, plus a wrong help-file-version is being retrieved by F1 (3.2.1, instead of 3.3) or with 404 error

7. resume.dat file is not being updated per-event/state-change, causing some data-loss & other side-effects between sessions

8. RSS auto-added torrents have the wrong "Added" time-stamp.

9. Pieces are not being written from cache to disk ASAP (if set to do so) and are being stuck in cache, plus there are a few reported cases (unconfirmed) of infinite "flushing" when download completes (leftover pieces in cache?) or infinite "allocation" when download starts (permission/priv. issues? Admin priv. needed?).

10 . Setting/changing any speed limit causes the speed to temporarily drop.

:rolleyes: Did I miss anything important?... :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Did I miss anything important?... :rolleyes:

%appdata%/uTorrent still fills up with torrent files despite changing the default remove option to +torrent; pretty annoying to discover 300 of your old torrents still kicking around. That's a broken option and uTorrent should clean up after itself if I tell it to. ;)

That's a broken option and uTorrent should clean up after itself if I tell it to. wink

Since when anyone is doing what you tell him to?... :P And I said important... ;)

rafi, just because the issue doesn't bother you doesn't diminish it's importance. You are not a moderator. The bug is a regression, and needs to be fixed.

just because the issue doesn't bother you doesn't diminish it's importance. You are not a moderator.

I, for one would like to see "forum mod" status in their profiles(under member name) if applicable...

Some here that act like mods but are not...at least not mentioned in their profiles.

Too many times users post because of lack of knowledge, confused or just new to the concept...

Yeah, I know about the many help files but alittle human interaction never hurts!

So... in the final 3.3.1 version, we won't have the ability to install utorrent wherever we want? It should be in C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming only? Why? Is it again cause of the devs being incompetent while they don't know how to make the new update system work otherwise? Or they want it to be as hidden as possible for some reason?

And here, it keeps all the previous downloaded versions... How do I stop that, anyone knows?

C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\updates

How do I stop that, anyone knows?
2. Updating with "standalone" exe+settings -> puts the new exe into %appdata%\uTorrent (with wrong settings) instead of just replacing the exe. Plus, backup/restore operation is not documented anywhere...

It is an RC, not a final... We still have hopes...

advanced->gui.default_del_action ...

Looking at my settings, the value is set as 0. What do I set it to in order to make the default delete action Remove and Delete Torrent + Data ?

In fact documenting all the available values would be great. If it is somewhere, then please direct me...

Regards.

Archived