µTorrent 3.3.1 RC

TylerW

For those with the 3.4 issue (i.e. 3.4 running when you've installed 3.3.1), try removing both updates.dat and the updates directory in your install directory.

The update mechanism stores versions so that you can rollback in case of a new version crashing repeatedly. It chooses the latest good version by checking known versions in updates.dat. Since you have a copy of 3.4 in the updates directory and an entry in updates.dat and it has a higher revision number, it will be chosen over 3.3.1. Please try removing these as a workaround until the issue is resolved.

Thanks! :D

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those with the 3.4 issue (i.e. 3.4 running when you've installed 3.3.1), try removing both updates.dat and the updates directory in your install directory.

The update mechanism stores versions so that you can rollback in case of a new version crashing repeatedly. It chooses the latest good version by checking known versions in updates.dat. Since you have a copy of 3.4 in the updates directory and an entry in updates.dat and it has a higher revision number, it will be chosen over 3.3.1. Please try removing these as a workaround until the issue is resolved.

Thanks! :D

Don't the uninstall of 3.4 do all that for you?

For those with the 3.4 issue (i.e. 3.4 running when you've installed 3.3.1)' date=' try removing both updates.dat and the updates directory in your install directory.

Thanks! :D[/quote']

rafi did you notice after update to 29105 to 29148 previous version file still there in updates folder see below.

x5tM48H3EY.png

i think admin need more focus on silent update.and one thing more if you dont tick checkbox notify me before install updates utorrent update without notify.but it does not shut down automatically.in case if you tick checkbox notify me before install updates.it shows dialog box then after utorrent update and then shutdown automatically.but previous version of utorrent file still there in updates folder

This latest beta, 29148, wont let me choose the install location???

It silently installs without having to agree or accept ANYTHING.

?

And it installed to AppData folder instead of Program Files (on XP).

Anyway, I just moved the .exe to Program Files/uTorrent manually - as that is where it is launched from when the computer boots.

--2013-02-11: Version 3.3.1 (build 29148)

- Fix: Occasional crash sending more than 15 comments

- Fix: Inactive memory leak

- Fix: Crash when updates.dat is removed

- Fix: Remove data when "Delete .torrent + Data" is selected

- Fix: Shutdown/restart after downloads complete records torrent state more reliably

- Fix: gdi leak in add torrent dialog and devices pane

- Fix: remove torrent dialog, default to 'ok'

Excuse me? :|

For those with the 3.4 issue (i.e. 3.4 running when you've installed 3.3.1)' date=' try removing both updates.dat and the updates directory in your install directory.

Yes, but only if you choose "Remove Settings" when you uninstall. If you'd like to keep your settings, then the above workaround will do it.

Yes, but only if you choose "Remove Settings" when you uninstall. If you'd like to keep your settings, then the above workaround will do it.

Your design of the user control to say the least, is poor.

- A user should be able to just tell the program: I want to restore version/build/exe x, y or z with or w/o the setting

- A user should be able to save the exe + settings (or set to auto-save)

- A user should be able to just look at the update folder and identity each exe by name (like version-build-date.exe) and not have to use properties to find it out the hard way.

Can all this be done ? What is the intended help-file entry for this feature anyways ?

Can he do that ?

Your design of the user control to say the least, is poor.

- A user should be able to just tell the program: I want to restore version/build/exe x, y or z with or w/o the setting

- A user should be able to save the exe + settings (or set to auto-save)

- A user should be able to just look at the update folder and identity each exe by name (like version-build-date.exe) and not have to use properties to find it out the hard way.

Can all this be done ? What is the intended help-file entry for this feature anyways ?

Can he do that ?

We already have more features in this autoupdater than Chrome does: you can turn ours on and off.

Some of these these proposed new features sound great. Each one of them will, of course, delay the release of the new version.

* Resetting to another version: We'll consider implementing this as command line flag.

* Saving the settings: it's not clear what benefit this would have.

* We like the idea to name the exes with a well defined name. e.g. 3.3.1-29154.exe. Doing this will improve communication, and remove annoyance. We'll definitely do this.

Adding too many features to this already complex feature is not a good idea.

Can I get an adequate answer from THE DEVELOPERS? :|

I'm not a developer, but I've been here awhile. The duplicates are leftover from an older bugged version that created them. To get rid of them: Close uTorrent. Get Ultima's Bencode editor from the General forum and edit your %Appdata%\uTorrent\settings.dat file, you'll find the duplicates in there fairly easily. Save and remove the .dat.old, then run uTorrent again. Done. :)

Why does utorrent keep duplicate save locations? Can this be fixed?

http://i52.fastpic.ru/thumb/2013/0221/66/975903bfcec1a4c004f8cfab8206ba66.jpeg

Hi acmodeu, that looks like a bug. Could you give us the version (e.g. 3.1.4.159265), and a detailed description of how to reproduce it?

I haven't been able to reproduce it yet with the 3.3.1 I'm working with.

I repeatedly added different torrents, setting the "Save In" location to c:\foo then c:\foo2 then c:\foo

Can I get an adequate answer from THE DEVELOPERS? :|

I'm not a developer' date=' but I've been here awhile. The duplicates are leftover from an older bugged version that created them. To get rid of them: Close uTorrent. Get Ultima's Bencode editor from the General forum and edit your %Appdata%\uTorrent\settings.dat file, you'll find the duplicates in there fairly easily. Save and remove the .dat.old, then run uTorrent again. Done. :)[/quote']

Thanks osmosis. And that is why an experienced user can be more useful than a developer.

* Saving the settings: it's not clear what benefit this would have.

No benefit, in an ideal world - were everything is bug-free . For uT/BT world - you can see a living example just below your post ...

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=712294#p712294

Unfortunate setting files get corrupted from time to time (exe to exe) ... They are in fact much *more* important than the exe.

Get Ultima's Bencode editor from the General forum and edit your %Appdata%\uTorrent\settings.dat file, you'll find the duplicates in there fairly easily. Save and remove the .dat.old, then run uTorrent again. Done. smile

Yeah, 'easily'... Still, the idea was to try avoid using BEncode... :P

I guess you can also set a limit to the # of versions to store, to avoid filling up the disk...

you can turn ours on and off.

It will be helpful if you can also explain by what means...

and just a reminder to the still broken alternate upload limit :

eb4de9238670799.jpg

Oh, and thanks for fixing the default in the delete-confirmation dialogue (to "yes") ...

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=712328#p712328

Archived