Proxy Timeout

Geminiman

I believe there is an issue in uTorrent where, when using a proxy and all settings to run everything through a proxy is used, the connection that queries for updated trackers, DHT, and Peer Exchange is timing out after about 3 hours (could be more or less, I don't know, it's a guess.)

Connections to actual peers do not timeout, they continue fine for as long as the peer is there just like normal.

New connections to new peers from the list also work fine and it establishes a new connection and connects if the peer is still available from the stale list.

It's only querying for updates to the trackers that times out after a while and no new updates will work and you'll get proxy errors on the trackers tab. This happens with 3 separate SOCKS5 proxies that I have tried, so I believe it's the app not sending keep alive, or trying to reuse a connection instead of closing and reopening. Going into the connection setting and changing anything and hitting apply causes it to start working again.

I believe that the client should send keep alives every once in a while, and should notice proxy errors and automatically reopen the connection and retry.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I would also like to see this problem addressed. It's a pain to have to restart uTorrent in order to start downloading. Especially if you mostly connect to uTorrent via the webui.

Also, be careful about discussing other clients. Some mods think doing so warrants closing threads.

Also, be careful about discussing other clients. Some mods think doing so warrants closing threads.

Only if it appears you are promoting that client, offering a behavioural comparison as evidence is not promotional.

That makes sense to me as well. I'd name names but I'd like this thread to stay open in hopes that this issue gets resolved. My current work-around is to have a Windows task that kills and restarts uTorrent every hour.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bump such an old topic but this is still a bug in 3.3.2. Is there any chance of getting uTorrent to send any required keep-alive packets to fix this issue? uTorrent is one of the few torrent clients with SOCKS support and I would love it if it could work reliably. Like emptyparad0x, I just have a script that restarts uTorrent but obviously that is far from ideal.

I'm not really sure what you want here. A log file? The problem is when uTorrent has been running for a while, trackers will no longer update and uTorrent reports their status as "Connection timed out." It is only a problem when using a proxy and can be resolved by restarting uTorrent or going into the proxy settings and (for example) putting a space in the proxy address then taking it out again and hitting OK.

• 5 months later...

Hello, I am new to the forum but not new to uTorrent or BitTorrents in general.  I am attempting to come back to uTorrent and BitTorrents from a couple years of mostly using NewsGroups.  I love some of the new (to me) features that allow RSS feeds and thus automatic downloads.  Obviously I want the Proxy functions to work (yes I could use VPN but Proxy seems to be much faster and I don't really want all of my traffic, non-bittorrent, to go through the VPN).  However, this issue is certainly still an issue in version 3.4.2 stable and really breaks the idea of any automated downloads since DHT and Trackers stop working until either a network setting change is made or the client is restarted.  At either of these steps everything starts to work correctly again but that requires me to step in and look at the application.

There don't seem to be a lot of settings that appear to be related to this.  I have attempted to modify and try different settings related to the Port Forwrds...I have use the Random port with the NAT and UPnP settings and they seem to work correctly (but for the eventual timeouts) and I have turned those off and set a static port forward which also seems to work correctly (but for the eventual timeouts) so I don't think that this has any baring on the issue.

I'm not sure that there is a strict run time after which this occurs.  It does seem if there are active downloads that it takes longer to happen but I have also seen the software go into this state with seeds that are still actively uploading.

EDIT::

I found this idea from a post by another user whom I would love to credit but I did not save the information from where I found the idea.  I have also modified this so that it will actually work in Windows 7 Task Scheduler.

Please note that you must have the uTurrent setting to NOT minimize to task bar on exit/close command and to NOT prompt on exit/close.

Also, I found no way to actually close the application if it was minimized to the task bar (that is without force closing it which does not save the work in process and new torrents added since the last graceful close).  Thus I use the start command to open the actual window first.  However, while this is generally very fast if the application is not already open this will open it and cause issues if it is closed too quickly.  Hence the reason for the first wait period.

Next after closing the application it does take several seconds for it to gracefully close which is the reason for the second wait period.

Lastly, in the task scheduler you can schedule this to run at whatever periods you wish.  However, you do have to have the option checked to only run when the user is logged in.  If you do not it will not close the process but still open a second process that has no UI.  And, withe this option checked it will do its work in the foreground where it can be seen (this is even true with the hidden option selected), so I recommend using the options on the Conditions tab to only run this if the computer has been idle for about 10 minutes and to wait for idle up to a couple hours.  I also scheduled mine to run every 6 hours by setting up four triggers at my preferred times.

This is the code for the BAT file::

start C:\{PATH TO THE APPLICATION}\uTorrent.exe
TIMEOUT /T 30 /NOBREAK
taskkill /IM uTorrent.exe /T
TIMEOUT /T 30 /NOBREAK
start C:\{PATH TO THE APPLICATION}\uTorrent.exe /minimized

Archived