Cannot open torrents with update [edit]

wn1ytw

After the update a few days ago to utorrent for my mac, I was unable to add new torrents. I kept getting an error telling me I could not download to that location or something similar. Changing the folder in Preferences did not help. MY solution was to revert to my previous version of utorrent from my Time Capsule. I am successfully using Version 1.8.1 (28758), Version 1.8.2 reports Unable To Open Torrent Don't have enough permissions to write to '/Users/xxxx'. Please change download location. I have made sure the folder permissions are set to everyone. What gives? :| :|

It appears the proram is trying to write one level higher than set, ~/ instead of ~/Downloads Preferences is set properly.

Anyone else see this and have a better solution or description of the error?

Growing list of programs I cannot 'upgrade' first iTunes, now utorrent!

scott

when utorrent asks you for a download location, choose nothing, then when the torrent loads in utorrent it should say something like :"error, cant find download location" now, right click the torrent, go to advanced- set download location, now set this to wherever you want. then right click the torrent again and hit "force start".

this happened to me too, was super frustrating.

1. Read the Mac troubleshooting guide --- step 6 in particular

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=108968

2. If you are having issues upgrading the other stuff you mentioned, then you have something else going on.

You didn't say what OS you are using.

How much free space do you have on your HD? (as a %)

Have you done a permissions repair?

Have you used any 3rd party maintenance/repair items (cache cleaners, DiskWarrior, TechToolPro, Drive Genius, Onyx, MacPilot, others)

I tried both deletions in #6. same problem.

I am using Mac OS X 10.8.2 the current Mac OS

The ONLY change here is getting microtorrent 'upgrade' 1.8.2 from microtorrent 1.8.1

Starting each microtorrennt version from scratch with new preferences files, 1.8.1 works, 1.8.2 does not accept new torrents in the specified folders.

This is not MY problem but a BUG!

Scott -- you *did* say

Growing list of programs I cannot 'upgrade'
:P

Which is one reason I said you you have something else going on.

Another reason I said that is because I was running Mac uTorrent 1.8.2 just fine with my OS 10.8.2 (4G ram) with a hardware-checked system and with about 35% HD space available. As do many others.

Have you used the built-in problem reporter that will send your specifics to the developers? (not to mention to the developers of the other programs you are having problems with) :cool:

if uTorrent 1.8.1 is working for you- fine-. I hesitate suggesting trying 1.9beta because the new labels would drive you bonkers. :rolleyes:

Scott -- you *did* say
Growing list of programs I cannot 'upgrade'
:P

Which is one reason I said you you have something else going on.

Another reason I said that is because I was running Mac uTorrent 1.8.2 just fine with my OS 10.8.2 (4G ram) with a hardware-checked system and with about 35% HD space available. As do many others.

Have you used the built-in problem reporter that will send your specifics to the developers? (not to mention to the developers of the other programs you are having problems with) :cool:

if uTorrent 1.8.1 is working for you- fine-. I hesitate suggesting trying 1.9beta because the new labels would drive you bonkers. :rolleyes:

1st program is iTunes 11, because it STINKS. It works as designed - badly IMHO.

2nd is utorrent.

I have about 60% free of a 1TB internal drive in a 6 month old iMac with 12GB RAM that runs very well. As does utorrent for Mac 1.8.1

Archived