uTorrent reporting impossibly fast transfer rates! Exciting, but...

lovetour

First time I've seen this.

Unfortunately, still on 3.2.3 by necessity.

WAN connection has about 340 kB/s throughput down, and 55 kB/s up.

Download limit is set to 200kB/s. Upload limit is set to 45 kB/s.

Overall download rates reported in uTorrent are presently up to about 4,000 kB/s (avg. about 2,000 kB/s).

Overall upload rates reported in uTorrent are presently up to about 500 kB/s (avg. about 200 kB/s).

These inflated numbers appear not only in the status bar, but also in the graph and in the upload and download columns in the list of torrents.

However, if I carefully watched the total transfer figures in the status bar increment, I calculate that the actual transfer rates are close to the expected 200kB/s down and 45 kB/s up.

I'm trying to think if it could have to do with this or that changed setting I've made recently, or the fact that immediately upon starting uTorrent I performed Force Rechecks on several large torrents, one at a time, or set new download locations for many other torrents (after moving the files with Windows Explorer, today). Or that uTorrent may not have closed cleanly last night. (though uTorrent's been restarted a couple times since).

uTorrent is a little laggy (GUI slightly unresponsive during updates). - more so than yesterday with the same number of torrents being maintained.

Above behaviors exhibited for 2.5 hr run time.

Just tried exiting uTorrent (verified in task manager) and restarted. Within 30 seconds it was reporting the same kind of exorbitant speeds again, so the issue seems to be persistent...

Any ideas? I'll play with settings later and see if I can find a correlation.

Thanks,

~ lt

Hi again,

Looks like I need some help.

Settings changes did not improve the situation.

Deleting settings.dat and (since it's a portable installation) replacing it with a 0-byte file didn't help.

uTorrent is drawing a heavy load on the CPU. It's unusable with GUI updates every second, have to have at 5 seconds or longer (5000 ms) in Advanced settings.

It's still reporting the massive speeds that are not real, and one thing I didn't mention before, the speeds are rather eratic on the short time scale. The only look remotely smooth on the 5 minute graph. Other network monitoring tools on my computer show erratic speeds too (these ones real) (but seem to be within the speed limits actually set in uTorrent).

Any other dat files I can safely delete that might help or something?

Thanks..

lt

Deleting settings.dat and (since it's a portable installation) replacing it with a 0-byte file didn't help.

Having a zero byte 'dummy' file will probably prevent uTorrent from creating a default settings.dat in the same folder as the .exe, so it will then use the setting.dat from %appdata%/utorrent/ instead.

Check the log for the startup entry.

Delete BOTH settings.dat files with the client shut down, then restart the client.

Bittorrent data will rarely, if ever, be 'smooth', the nature of the beast is to be in "bursts"

Having a zero byte 'dummy' file will probably prevent uTorrent from creating a default settings.dat in the same folder as the .exe, so it will then use the setting.dat from %appdata%/utorrent/ instead.

Check the log for the startup entry.

Delete BOTH settings.dat files with the client shut down, then restart the client.

Bittorrent data will rarely, if ever, be 'smooth', the nature of the beast is to be in "bursts"

Actually a 0-byte settings.dat is my standard procedure for creating a portable installation, works every time.

It had a message on startup "found settings.dat in same directory as executable, using that" or the like. And the settings.dat file I verified as populated with settings afterward.

Without a settings.dat file in the same directory, it goes into installer mode---with one, it tries to use it. If it can't -- or at last in the case of a 0-byte file -- it creates a new one with default settings.

That's not the issue. Even if it had created it in appdata, it wouldn't have related to my issues.

All I can think is maybe resume.dat is corrupt, but I'm quite sure if I got rid of that I'd lose all my torrent list, downloaded file locations, labels, etc. Don't feel like digging through it with bencode editor or a hex editor and trying to hack it into shape.

Since I couldn't resolve it and I was in the midst of moving tons of data to other file locations/drives already, which was a big job, I'm taking the time to try a uT alternative out. Having to start from scratch in uT would be at least as much trouble (in the alt. I've been able to get it to not hash downloads I import--and trust they are complete, a big time saver).

I'll keep uT installed (newer version, fresh install) and use it for backup (small jobs) for now. It's good for me to check in with the alt's for the first time in years and see how they're performing and how well they meet my needs.

Thanks for the response and I'm still a uT supporter.. I'll be around.

Thank you ciaobaby, thank you uTorrent team.

~ lovetour ~

Archived