Seeding questions

amsharma

Hello,

I have a query which relate to things I haven't understood despite using utorrent for a long time.

- I have setup my Upload limit as 70kbps and their are not many seeders for the torrents I am seeding (typically only 1 or 2), despite this the upload speed is very low (2 to 10kbps). Why does this happen. Its not that their are other sources as the downloader's torrent is progressing slowly (this is visible).

Thanks

Amal

I still don't get it. My reference to seeders included peers also. If there were a lot of peers then wouldn't the download for the requester have finished faster. It progresses very slowly. I know the requester would have limited bandwidth but still I think the total upload rate to the requester is very low otherwise how would you explain requester continuing to download for 2-3 days.

If there were a lot of peers then wouldn't the download for the requester have finished faster.
Not necessarily, the connected peers may only be requesting pieces from your client, as they may not have the pieces you require.

If there are plenty of connected seeds the job will finish sooner (possibly)

I think the total upload rate to the requester is very low otherwise how would you explain requester continuing to download for 2-3 days.

You seem to under the impression that BitTorrent works just like FTP or HTTP downloading does.

Yes, you are right, I thought it was like ftp/http. Looks like the requester will get only what they request for - correct me if I am wrong. My question still stands. How does utorrent work. If there is bandwidth available at the seeder/peer end, why doesn't it use it to the fullest. Why doesn't it make more requests. If it has a lot of stuff left to download in a torrent, why doesn't it go out and use all the bandwidth my client is ready to serve it with. Have you put some limitation on it.

Hello,

I have a query which relate to things I haven't understood despite using utorrent for a long time.

- I have setup my Upload limit as 70kbps and their are not many seeders for the torrents I am seeding (typically only 1 or 2), despite this the upload speed is very low (2 to 10kbps). Why does this happen. Its not that their are other sources as the downloader's torrent is progressing slowly (this is visible).

Thanks

Amal

Hello amsharma & ciaobaby

I was about to post a thread about upload speeds, but as my question seems to be similar to amsharma I thought I'd jump on board.

I have similar thoughts, I've been using utorrent for quite some time and basically I would like to improve my upload speeds and nothing I do seems to achieve that.

I get regular 70kB/s no matter what I do and whether I'm downloading 500kB/s or 50kB/s, but would like to 'give' more. My current download rate is set to unlimited and upload to 80kB/s. I have tried increasing my upload limit, decreasing my download limit, upload always seems to settle for around, as I say, 70kB/s.

I have noticed that when I'm downloading a file that its upload rate can be quite high, say 40kB/s or higher. After that torrent is downloaded, the upload rate of that particular torrent drops right down.

I've also played around with preferences > queuing, 'increasing from default number of active torrents (upload or download)' from 5 to say 100, that seems to allow more torrents to get involved in uploading, although the total upload rate stays the same. I've also tried adjusting preferences > bandwidth 'max number of connected peers per torrent' and 'number of upload slots per torrent'. Don't really know what I'm doing here, just try adjusting a bit this way and that to see if it makes a difference, which it doesn't.

How about this, if I've downloaded a torrent with very few peers and has taken a relatively long time. I would have thought that when I then seed said torrent, that the upload rate would be high as there is more demand than supply, but thats not the case. This strikes me as being curious and not good.

At the moment for example I'm seeding a torrent: Seeds 0(4) Peers 3(21) Avail. 3.490 with an upload rate of 1kB/s. In fact there's 10 or 15 or more like that. It strikes me that this is an unhealthy torrent if that's the right expression, and I could be uploading much more than I am.

I should also say that according to the setup guide, both download and upload are correctly configured, I get green ticks for both, 'port is open, your network is properly configured'. Have outgoing protocol encryption enabled.

Also checked out ciaobaby's link to wiki but don't understand it.

Hope it's OK jumping onto your thread amsharma, Chig.

Chig, exactly what all I wanted to say to utorrent people. It helps if others also say it. There is something wrong somewhere. I took two days to download a torrent and then seeded it so that people get to download it faster but just like you I get speeds like 1/2 kpbs. I can give practical examples to utorrent guys if it helps them resolve the issue.

so that people get to download it faster but just like you I get speeds like 1/2 kpbs.

If "people" don't actually want whatever it is, it will only upload at the speed they request it.

I don't agree that people don't want it. Why would somebody not download something faster if that is available. I get a feeling utorrent and other tools might not be optimally handling the situation. Why don't they make more requests. I assume most of the people using torrent have good bandwidths like 10Mbps - that is true for all developed countries. You want to tell me they can't even download at 50/60kbps. They want to continue downloading for two days something which they can get in a few hours OR they are downloading so much stuff that their utorrent is only making requests worth 1/2kpbs for these particular torrents which I am ready to upload at 70kbps. I don't think that would be happening. Can you show us the average download speed of every peer to whom we are uploading in your UI, that should help us know the truth. I have a hunch something is not right with torrent tools.

If "people" don't actually want whatever it is, it will only upload at the speed they request it.

See, that's my point. It seems to me that they do want it, and I'm not supplying it as much as is needed.

Here's my case as I said before:

if I'm downloading a torrent and it takes forever, surely that means there are more people wanting it than seeding it. That is backed up by the seed/peer stats. Once I'm done with downloading, the stats remain the same, indicating that there are more people wanting it than supplying it. But now I'm supplying it (well actually I've been supplying it the whole time cause that's the nature of torrents), and my upload speed for that torrent is still miserably low.

So the stats indicate that there are a lot of people wanting the torrent. I've adjusted my upload rate so that I'm offering a lot more bandwidth than is being used, if that's the right terminology. I've got my outgoing 'whatever' encrypted, which I believe stops the ISP getting involved with throttling the bandwidth.

So that seems to leave only two choices 1. I could be seeding more but my settings are wrong, in which case I'm hoping we can work that out here, or 2. it's the nature of uTorrent or Bitorrent to only take a silly small amount, in which case I'd like to encourage the developers to change it to allow me to seed as much as the community is wanting/needing whatever.

Interestingly I just double checked the upload rate scale (see screenshot) and just like the download rate, it goes up to 'unlimited', so uTorrent is obviously set up to enable much higher uploading that me and Amsharma are currently managing.

Any ideas anyone? :(;) :cool:

utorrrentups.png

utorrrentups2.png

I've got my outgoing 'whatever' encrypted, which I believe stops the ISP getting involved with throttling the bandwidth.
Nope, it just means that they cannot identify it as BitTorrent trtaffic. They can, and will throttle based on traffic volume. Encryption also introduces 'slow-downs' into the data transfer.

'Unlimited' simply means it will use whatever data transfer rate it needs and can be used, regardless of what other applications are running on that machine OR the same LAN.

. it's the nature of uTorrent or Bitorrent to only take a silly small amount,
Nope! The nature of the protocol is to use whatever bandwidth or data-transfer is available to it.
and my upload speed for that torrent is still miserably low
according to whom?? I'm not aware of any 'league tables' published anywhere.
I don't agree that people don't want it.
Based upon what???
Why would somebody not download something faster if that is available

Some people are patient and understand that if you want INSTANT you go and buy it!!!

Others may be downloading something simply because "it's there" and it does not matter if it takes 6 minutes, 6 days or 6 months. YOU do NOT know the motivation or intents of ANY connected peer, they may well be in a different swarm downloading the same thing in parallel.

All you can do is take are the stats at YOUR client and make judgements based on that information.

Archived