uTorrent 3.3 stable (29126) Disk overloaded 100% [Win xp]

Malediciton

Hi,

Am having this problem today and would like to know the best solution for that . I tried to see all solutions but none of it helped.If there is any question please ask and will gladly answer it .

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

Processor: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 3328MB RAM

internet : 10Mb

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the same problem. Have 100mbit down and a NAS(3tb in Raid0 Sata) connected to my Switch with a Cat6 cable that is connected to my Dir 655 with a Cat5e cable.

If I have multiple downloads I get "Disk overload - X%". If it reaches over 80, the download goes down. What?

This did not occur before. Ideas?

whats the solution for that problem ?

there is no "one solution" but several things can help to reduce the instances of overloads occurring.

set the disc cache size between 128 and 512 MB.

trying various setting for diskio.max_write_queue

setting diskio.coalesce_writes to true

try various settings for diskio.coalesce_write_size: (in bytes/s)

and obviously reducing the download data rate so the drive interface can keep up.

Most of the variable settings you will have to empirically determine the settings for your system using the current setting as a starting point, and document your changes and the results so you know what worked and what didn't.

uTorrent 3.3.29126

I am having the same problem (100% disk usage), have used uTorrent and Bittorrent for years on exact same OS hardware and (Lenovo A700 All-in-One, fast multi-core processor with Windows 8 Pro, Win 7 prior to that, with all my same usual software installed)....and prior to a few weeks ago it was working fine!!

Just reinstalled Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) on a new hard drive (Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003) after my old hard drive crashed. Even tried downloading the latest Bittorent - same exact problem!

** My PC grinds to a hault whenever uTorrent (or Bittorent) is open. **

** The disk I/O shows 100% most of the time. **

Trying to do anything on my PC causes delays of like 1-2 seconds, even typing this post for example I can watch each letter I type echo on the screen....one...second...at...a...time. It's like my whole CPU has been taken over my u/Bittorrent.

Worse, even right-click and exit u/Bitorrent from the systray, they hang in memory and I can't even kill them in Task Manager. After 5-10 minutes the process may eventually disappear.

This is on a fresh OS with a new hard drive. Pretty sure i was running 3.2 or some few-days-older version on my other hard drive, and it was running FINE!

I have tried adjusting the disk cache to 128MB etc as mentioned...disk I/O went down for a few seconds then shot back up. Besides, you shouldn't have to "tweak" an app "out of the box" to keep it from causing your PC to run like it's out of memory!

Obviously there is a HUGE memory / resource bug in this release...you can't even task kill the app! What's going on??? How can this be fixed?

Worse, even right-click and exit u/Bitorrent from the systray, they hang in memory and I can't even kill them in Task Manager. After 5-10 minutes the process may eventually disappear.

That's because it has to close ALL the running process BEFORE closing AND if it takes longer than about thirty seconds you have too many jobs running.

. Besides, you shouldn't have to "tweak" an app "out of the box"
With a text editor maybe not.
** My PC grinds to a hault whenever uTorrent (or Bittorent) is open. **
Then you either have it setup badly or are trying to use it as a workhorse.
It's like my whole CPU has been taken over my u/Bittorrent.
It probably has! Which again an indicator of you not having it setup correctly or trying to use it incorrectly.

I have been having this problem as well. I'm on 3.3 Stable, Windows 8. I want to clarify that the Disk Overloaded 100% message itself is not new to me. I've seen it in the past when I download torrents that are large and/or have many files. Once the heavy disk activity is done, the overloaded message goes away and the transfer speeds go back up.

What I've been seeing recently though is that once the disk activity is done, the Overloaded 100% message stays and never goes away. The transfer speeds never resume even though there is practically no disk activity at all. I watch the activity in Resource Monitor and can see that not only is there no activity from other processes, but uTorrent itself doesn't even register enough throughput to be in the list.

Trying to do a clean close of uTorrent takes a very long time. Watching the Handles count in task manager as it closes is something I'm used to doing since I have thousands of torrents, so I watch it to see when it's safe to open it again. As it closes the Handles go down until the process disappears.

When this problem is happening and I'm trying to close it, I can see it close a few handles, and then it sits there for a while with moderate CPU usage, then it closes some more. So it doesn't exactly appear to be stuck, just moving very slowly but I don't see contention in the CPU, Disk, Memory, nor Network so I don't know what it's waiting for internally.

I'm used to doing since I have thousands of torrents,
So why are you using uTorrent?

In common with most Windows clients it is NOT a suitable tool for wholesale piracy, why do you think that there are no Windows OS 'seed-boxes' If you need something that can cope with thousands of jobs and tens of thousands of connections, use rTorrent on a Centos box, if you need a GUI and browser integration use KTorrent, which runs in the 'K' desktop environment (KDE). Linux BitTorrent clients may not have the "pretty" interface of Windows clients, but they 'do what it says on the tin' (can for the 'mericans), with no fuss and close to zero 'maintenance'.

I'm used to doing since I have thousands of torrents,
So why are you using uTorrent?

In common with most Windows clients it is NOT a suitable tool for wholesale piracy, why do you think that there are no Windows OS 'seed-boxes' If you need something that can cope with thousands of jobs and tens of thousands of connections, use rTorrent on a Centos box, if you need a GUI and browser integration use KTorrent, which runs in the 'K' desktop environment (KDE). Linux BitTorrent clients may not have the "pretty" interface of Windows clients, but they 'do what it says on the tin' (can for the 'mericans), with no fuss and close to zero 'maintenance'.

Your posts are quite unhelpful and needlessly acerbic.

uTorrent seems to have no problem handling thousands of torrents. This issue has nothing to do with the number of torrents present; only a few are active at a time. I don't need a lesson on Linux BitTorrent clients, seedboxes, or your opinion on the attractiveness of an UI.

This is a troubleshooting forum for uTorrent. If you don't have anything relevant to say about the issue at hand kindly troll elsewhere. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this will help anyone but I thought I would add what I discovered just in case it might.

I have been using uTorrent for many years even prior to building this current box that I'm using it on. My connection is not particularly fast @ 15 mbps down/3 mbps up but they don't shape the traffic and I am lucky enough to enjoy using all the bandwidth I pay for when enough seeders are present on a particular file, typically 1.6 to 1.7 MB/s down.

Prior to 3.3, which I installed yesterday, I had never seen this problem even with 40-50GB files.

For whatever reason, it popped up yesterday and everything ground to a halt. Only relatively small files were being downloaded, one 11GB and another 17GB. And yes, as someone else mentioned, it does not appear to reset when the high write density has ceased. I had to exit and restart the program to reset the error.

Anyway, The fix that has seemed to work so far (10+% into file B above) has been to stop all but a single download and tick the "Pre-allocate all files" box on the Preferences/General screen.

It seems like a simple enough fix. I hope it holds. It is hard to say why it only now pops up with version 3.3 but I understand there have been major improvements to the disk management part of the software. Perhaps the old SATA 3Gb/s interfaces on this mobo have finally hit their limits with 3.3 improvements or maybe the drive is just getting tired.

I hope this helps someone,

-TC

You're correct. The 'solution' in my prior post now appears to not be the solution, but only a temp workaround. It seemed to work for a while. Now the error is back. Even on files less than 10GB and I'm having to shut uTorrent down completely and restart it to clear the error. So now, nothing seems to be working to get these torrents moving.

Also, I now have to shut uTorrent down from the task manager as it won't shut completely down when I select 'exit'. That is a new twist with this latest release as well as this persistent 'disk overload' error, which I had never seen in many years of uTorrent use.

-TC

• 1 month later...

You seem very defensive for someone who is supposed to be helping.

With that said, this is quite obviously a bug with this version. To test this, I set up a second machine, which is running on an i7 3770k with 16 gb of RAM and a 256gb SSD. I downloaded three torrents at the same time, an average of 17gb each. Within 3 minutes it went to "Disk Overloaded 100%" and stopped downloading. The program hangs, and needs to be manually killed using task manager.

This IS a bug, and has nothing to do with settings. Reverting to an old version corrects the problem. And guess what? Reverting to an older version does NOT make my hardware suddenly able to handle the 3 torrents better. Keep in mind, these are the ONLY 3 torrents because it's a machine I don't use for torrenting, so this isn't about it being used as a "suitable tool for wholesale piracy".

I'd love for this to be addressed by someone who actually cares enough about the product to stay away from defensive attacks, and move to figuring out the specifics of the problem and get it taken care of. Some sites require you to use the newest version of uTorrent, which means I will have to switch if this can't be fixed.

And considering how long I've used uTorrent, I'd much prefer you figure out the problem and get it working.

Thanks,

Jaeron

This IS a bug, and has been introduced in the recent versions of uTorrent.

Allow me to explain why I believe that. For the last several years, I have been using one of my older computers as a download box, using uTorrent. It never had any issues with hundreds (or, at some points, thousands) of torrents. However, since one of the latest uTorrent updates, it is mostly unusable. I am seeing the same symptoms people here are describing - 100% disk overloaded, that never goes away. And while the "overloaded" message is present, nothing gets downloaded anymore.

The machine is an older one, running on SATA HDDs. Since I had some hardware available, I decided to test whether this was due to the disks or to the client. So I installed a similar machine on server-grade equipment: 6xSAS HDDs, 10K RPM, RAID5 (hardware controller). Disks that were dedicated only to this machine.

Guess what? Within minutes, the same thing happened - disk overloaded 100%, download speeds 0, and uTorrent refusing to close after exit.

Right now, I am looking for a replacement client (at least until the issue gets solved).

@ciaobaby - you seem to take this issue personally, and I do not understand why. Being aggressive to the users doesn't benefit anyone. I believe it would be more constructive for us to work together in solving this.

[ Later edit: on the older machine, I installed another torrent client (doesn't really matter which one, I'm not here to advertise, I'm just trying to get a bug resolved). Same hardware and same torrents - where uTorrent struggles to even move, I get speeds of 100Mbps+ ]

Archived