Error: The system cannot find the path specified. (Preallocate)

dzigdzigLT

• 4 weeks later...

Same problem here.

Definitelly a utorrent bug, NOT a windows problem.

I was downloading some torrents which worked fine.

Updated to the latest version of utorrent.

The exact same torrents got the cannot find the path error when they were trying to start again.

So, the same files, older version utorrent---> Works fine.

Updated utorrent----> Error.

Just to confirm, I uninstalled the latest version and re-installed 3.2.3----> Everything works really fine again.

To then say that this isn't a bug in the latest version of utorrent but has to do with something in Windows is just plain wrong.

The only thing I changed is the version of utorrent, everything else stayed the same.

Older version works.

The newer doesn't

Plain and simple!

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem here - worked fine in the past, now this problem.

So the torrent name has neither a leading or trailing space. It contains two files, neither having a leading or trailing space.

If I simply do a 'force start'. then it starts working - but it's annoying having to do this all the time.

But doesn't that pretty much put to bed the idea that the filename is the problem? If it was, then doing a 'force start' wouldn't solve it...?

Tried 3.3 and had several issues (including the 'checking 0.0%' bug.

Using 3.3.1 at the moment - solved the '0.0% checking' bug, but still this issue with preallocation.

Has something in the preallocation code changed radically?

Same problem here. Same error (cannot find the file/path (preallocate), etc), on a majority of torrents. Which all in turn work once and only once I right click and 'start' them again. Was happening with 0% prior to updating utorrent. I've changed nothing else about the computer; no windows updates, etc.

I'd like to give the previous version I was using, but I wasn't paying any specific attention prior to having problems. I'm certainly using 3.3 (build 29544) now.

I'm not loading linux.

I want to be more productive. Since it doesn't happen with ALL torrents, I wanted to see which did and didn't; whether it would sometimes with the same torrent and sometimes not, if I were to delete it. But that sounds like too much work.

All I can say now is that it's interesting that it fails initially, but works when I restart it. I imagine the syntax can only change so much between those two situations. I don't use temp !ut appends, or temp directories. I raw-dog it.

I'm probably gonna just turn off pre-allocation. I'd like to believe that would have to fix it, inadvertently.

It will only 'fix it' until the torrent starts downloading and those particular pieces are written to disc.

Nope, it fixes it and it works fine from then on. What is with the attitude on this forum? All the replies seem to imply that the person reporting the problem is an idiot, and must be wrong, and the product is perfect.

I'm a software engineer by profession, have been using utorrent since it came out, and I'm noticing bugs for the first time ever in 3.3 that didn't used to be there.

There's frequent problems now with pre-allocation enabled, which can be worked around by simply doing a force start on the torrent in question, or by disabling preallocation.

(Come to think of it there is another bug - about 10% of the files never get moved from the downloading directory to the 'completed' directory when they're completed ... but that bug has been there for ages.)

You also missed the point I was alluding to.

And of course if it WAS a fault in uTorrent surely EVERYBODY using that build would have the same issue.

In actuality it is a problem that is triggered by a certain set of circumstances, and until those circumstances are identified down to the last detail, it is unlikely to be 'fixed'.

And of course if it WAS a fault in uTorrent surely EVERYBODY using that build would have the same issue.

So a program can't possibly have a fault until it's failure rate reaches a degree of every circumstance and application? Truly a dizzying intellect. You should run a restaurant. "My soup is fine! Surely EVERYBODY that ate it would be throwing up if it was due to the band-aid in it".

You also missed the point I was alluding to.

If you find yourself having to get defensive in such an innocuous setting such as bug report discussions for a program, making (non-elusive) points might not be 'your thing'. Try coloring.

So a program can't possibly have a fault until it's failure rate reaches a degree of every circumstance and application? Truly a dizzying intellect. You should run a restaurant. "My soup is fine! Surely EVERYBODY that ate it would be throwing up if it was due to the band-aid in it".

Okay allow me to explain software 'bugs' and 'faults' to you.

A 'fault' is where the program or a feature of it' date=' does NOT operate as intended and EVERY installation of a particular build exhibits exactly the same erroneous behaviour.

A 'bug' is where an erroneous behaviour ONLY occurs when a particular and [b']reproducible set of circumstances are applied.

Certainly you may consider that such definitions are unnecessary or pedantic in their nature, but for software knowing the exact conditions that create a erroneus or erratic behaviour.

So to continue your analogy of 'soup'; If everyone who had the soup was ill, then logic dictates the soup has a very high probability of being the cause, however if only ONE person who had soup that particular day

then other circumstances have to be considered.

Your 'logic' is more deductive reasoning than anything else and would lead to the conclusion that hospitals must be a major cause of death, because more people die in hospital than in traffic accidents.

Okay allow me to explain software 'bugs' and 'faults' to you.

A 'fault' is where the program or a feature of it' date=' does NOT operate as intended and EVERY installation of a particular build exhibits exactly the same erroneous behaviour.

A 'bug' is where an erroneous behaviour ONLY occurs when a particular and [b']reproducible set of circumstances are applied.

Certainly you may consider that such definitions are unnecessary or pedantic in their nature, but for software knowing the exact conditions that create a erroneus or erratic behaviour goes a long way towards fixing the problem.

So to continue your analogy of 'soup'; If everyone who had the soup was ill, then logic dictates the soup has a very high probability of being the cause, however if only ONE person who had soup that particular day

then other circumstances have to be considered.

Your 'logic' is more deductive reasoning than anything else and would lead to the conclusion that hospitals must be a major cause of death, because more people die in hospital than in traffic accidents.

• 1 month later...
All the replies seem to imply that the person reporting the problem is an idiot

I take it that you haven't read that many of the threads here then.

It seems to me that the "attitude" problems here are at least as rampant as the newbees who can not or will not read a little before asking a question...

Regards

The attitude problems grew second, not first.

Admitted but irrelevant.

Newbees will be newbees. If anyone is sick of answering questions from newbees, then don't. Noone is forcing that any more than using this client is being forced.

But if you answer someone's question with attitude ranging from condescending to dripping with venom, you are doing nothing to advance the uTorrent community.

Regards

Archived