Upstream bandwidth number relationships

justmatt

I ran the Setup Guide today for the first time since I upgraded my internet service from 10/2 to 40/5 a couple months ago. I had been running with Upload settings of

Your Upload Speed: 3.7 Mbit/s

Limit: 450 kB/s (I set this manually after the internet upgrade)

Connections: 100 torrent, 400 global (I think, I didn't note it before the change)

Upload slots: 8

Max active torrents: 7 (I set this manually after the upgrade, was 5 previously)

Max active downloads: 6 (I set this manually after the upgrade, was 4 previously)

The Setup Guide today gave me the following:

Your Upload Speed: 4.7 Mbit/s

Limit: 578 kB/s

Connections: 100 (torrent), 600 (global)

Upload slots: 8

Max active torrents: 9

Max active downloads: 8

My question is, if I want to manually throttle the bandwidth back, to say 450-500 kB/s, is it necessary to make any changes to the other items, specifically the Connections section, or can I just set the speed wherever I want and not worry about the rest? Should I knock the Max active numbers down to 8-7 or even 7-6, or leave them alone? Does it make an difference of any real import?

Thanks.

Edit to add: if I uncap my Upload bandwidth entirely, it will run at a sustained ~680 kB/s or ~5.3 Mbit/s

if I uncap my Upload bandwidth entirely, it will run at a sustained ~680 kB/s or ~5.3 Mbit/s
Depends.

There's no exact science to it because speeds ultimately depend on the connected peers.

Haha, nono. That was a statement. That's the speed that it caps at when people are connected.

The question was, if I manually throttle my speed from what Setup Guide suggests (578 kB/s) to something lower (450 kB/s), do I need to adjust any of the other settings, specifically the Connections, or is it fine to just leave them alone?

Thanks for the reply.

Connection values are the just the number of peers that your client is 'talking to'.

The Number of upload slots per torrent field defines the maximum number of peers that µTorrent will upload to at any given moment for each torrent job

But take note that, "any given moment" for a computer is measured in micro seconds

Read the manual on "Bandwidth" to figure out what you can change, the setup guide is exactly that, a guide only YOU can determine what the best settings are for YOUR system and your method of running uTorrent.

Archived