Sudden Lost of Speed?

Aesthete18

Hi, I've been using uTorrent for a few years now and it's always been up and down but about 8 months ago, I had a problem with my internet speed that fixed itself automatically. Long story short, since then I've had the maximum speed for my 512 connection which was 50kbps (yeah I know it's slow but I have slow internet). Now, I've never seen this kinda of results before, it was always steady within 40 - 60kbps. Movies would be done within mere hours and I'd even run out of things to download. I was truly happy with my connection.

A few days ago, my download started halting at 1/2kbps. I figured it was a slow day but it kept on being the same after a few days. It's so frustrating because I already have an outdated internet connection, and now it's super slow. The problem doesn't lie with the seeders because the few files I tried to download had thousands of seeds and I've even downloaded from the same site with less seeds and had great speeds before. I only typically download from one web site, but this started after I downloaded from another site. Can a file screw up utorrent's system? (paranoia kicking in) ignore that if it's irrelevant.

The things I've tried:

1. Glasnost Test - Everything came back green. However, when I look at the detailed results, it shows that for the downloads, the bandwidth bittorent flow and bandwidth control flow, all the speeds were 15/16/17kbps while the uploads were between 47 - 61kbps.

2. Speed Test - Download speed is at 0.56mbps, upload was at 0.13mbps and ping 29ms

3. uTorrent Setup Guide - For the bandwidth part, it says unknown hosts or for some countries it just gets stuck at testing alternate servers. For the network part it says port is not open (you are still able to download). I followed one link for forwarded port or something but the link was dead. I read something else about messing with the ip address and what not but I'm a totally noob when it comes to the technical side of anything pc, so I don't want to meddle without some help.

4. In utorrent>preferences>bandwidth - First 3 slots set to zero (middle one greyed out), last 3 slots set to 200, 200 and 4. Apply rate limit to uTP connections and use additional upload slots if upload speed <90% are checked.

5. In preferences>queueing - First two slots 60 and 63, next three slots are 100, 0 and 0. Final slot greyed out.

For 4 and 5, it is a little different from default because I followed instructions from another site that asked to change it if having problems with speed. Prior to that, I've never been inside preferences and everything would have been set as default settings.

Hopefully that's enough information to find the problem, thank you.

5. In preferences>queueing - First two slots 60 and 63, next three slots are 100, 0 and 0. Final slot greyed out.

So you're trying to run over 60 jobs on a connection that is lucky to be able to run ONE?

As I mentioned, I'm a total noob when it comes to these things. I don't even know the function of that. The only reason I changed it was because I read a post that helped some people and it asked to change these things. The default was at 50 I think which seems equally pointless if my connection can only run one.

You are overloading especially your upload rate and Queue settings for your partcular upload speed test results(0.13mbps= 128kBs)

In utorrent>preferences>bandwidth - First 3 slots set to zero (middle one greyed out), last 3 slots set to 200, 200 and 4. Apply rate limit to uTP connections and use additional upload slots if upload speed <90% are checked.

First slot should be around 100kBs.

Leave 2nd unchecked.

Third is ok with zero.

Last 3 slots = 300, 80, 5

Apply rate limit to uTP= checked.

Additional upload slots if upload speed <90%= unchecked.

In preferences>queueing - First two slots 60 and 63, next three slots are 100, 0 and 0. Final slot greyed out.

First slot= 3

Second slot= 2

Keep in mind these suggested settings are not made in stone and you may raise or lower some of these little by little (Bandwidth settings) to find your sweet spot but don't go too much higher on your Queue settings.

Here's a good troubleshooting guide if you need further assistance...http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=480554

The default was at 50 I think

The default is down in the 5-8 range, not 50.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 <-- follow this.

That's odd, I didn't go to preferences prior to recent events and I'm sure it wasn't 5 - 8.

You are overloading especially your upload rate and Queue settings for your partcular upload speed test results(0.13mbps= 128kBs)

First slot should be around 100kBs.

Leave 2nd unchecked.

Third is ok with zero.

Last 3 slots = 300, 80, 5

Apply rate limit to uTP= checked.

Additional upload slots if upload speed <90%= unchecked.

First slot= 3

Second slot= 2

Keep in mind these suggested settings are not made in stone and you may raise or lower some of these little by little (Bandwidth settings) to find your sweet spot but don't go too much higher on your Queue settings.

Here's a good troubleshooting guide if you need further assistance...http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=480554

I followed your link and did the stuff for improving slow speed issues. I think it helped a little, my download speed is averaging around 16kbps now.

I missed out the last post on the speed issues guide, so here's some information that might be relevant:

1. Network status light is green

2. In speed guide, port is now open. Network is properly configured but after 5 minutes I ran the test again and it said port is not open (speed is now averaging around 11kbps)

3. Speed guide>current settings (819.2 kbits/s)

4. Net.max_halfopen is 500 (I changed it based on another guide I mentioned earlier)

5. Operating system is Windows XP

6. Security software installed is AVG Internet Security 2011

7. Router model is TP-Link (TD-W8901G) and modem model is Aztech (DSL605E)

Does it having anything to do with the port not being open?

I should also mention, I did the things in this post at 4 a.m. which is typically peak hours for my speed.

You say you have been using uTorrent for years but i will try not to ass-u-me you have done the basics. :D

Port forward your port you have assigned in utorrent. Check here http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to check port you specified in utorrent. It should say port is opened when utorrent is open.

pc Static ip is preferred

Net.max_halfopen =500...why oh why so high!

Not sure if you messed around in the advanced settings but most should be set to their defaults.

As for AVG Internet Security did you make an exception for utorrent?

Check here especially page 165 in the manual...http://aa-download.avg.com/filedir/doc/AVG_Internet_Security/avg_isc_uma_en_2011_11.pdf

Chances are it wasn't our guide, and settings from that guide are probably not supported.

Yup it's not from your guide, it's from some guy who got positive responses for his tips, so I gave it a shot. Anyway, I saw the default settings FAQ here somewhere so I'll refer to that and change it back.

You say you have been using uTorrent for years but i will try not to ass-u-me you have done the basics. :D

Port forward your port you have assigned in utorrent. Check here http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to check port you specified in utorrent. It should say port is opened when utorrent is open.

pc Static ip is preferred

Net.max_halfopen =500...why oh why so high!

Not sure if you messed around in the advanced settings but most should be set to their defaults.

As for AVG Internet Security did you make an exception for utorrent?

Check here especially page 165 in the manual...http://aa-download.avg.com/filedir/doc/AVG_Internet_Security/avg_isc_uma_en_2011_11.pdf

Yup I have been using it for years, many years in fact but I've never changed the settings or even gone into preferences before (I assume that's what you meant by doing the basics?). Like I said in my first post, all the years using uTorrent, the speed would average around 25 - 30kbps and on a few occasions 45-ish kbps. I didn't even know I could get maximum speed and steady too! Until few months ago that is, when I kept getting superb results. Now that I know, I'd like to get back to that.

I think it is the port thing, because it says open sometimes and not open sometimes. Earlier, on the right corner it said need to open port for peers to connect, network is being intefered, or something along those lines. The net..max_halfopen is high because I changed it after reading an outside guide. I'll change it back to default

Yup already added to exception in AVG before I came here for help.

Okay, I'll try to figure out the port thing and test it out. Will report back tomorrow.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ok guys, looks like it's still a no-go. I changed all the numbers in advanced settings back to default. The setup guide said the port was open and the link also said the port was open but I still had the exclamation mark on the right corner. After about 10 minutes, I ran setup guide again, it said port is opened and the right corner changed to green but my speed is only about 5kbps. There are 1200 seeds for the file, so I don't think it's that. Something is blocking my connection. It takes me like a whole minute to even load a page on this site (not even exaggerating). Something is blocking me and I really don't know what else to do.

Here are some torrents that are particularly good for testing your connection:

http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/

You don't need to download the entire torrent in utorrent. You can leave it running just long enough to reach your maximum download speed.

If you are still unable to downlaod at your max connection speed from the above torrents then you need to check:

-uninstall utorrent and reinstall from scratch.

-your utorrent settings according to utorrent speed guide.

-check utorrent logger for connection or disconnect errors.

-do some speed tests at speedtest.net and see if you are getting close to your provisioned speeds that you are paying your ISP for.

-static IP is preferred for you computer (http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm)

-make sure you have only ONE virus/firewall software running on your computer and that is allowing utorrent traffic in both directions (in and out rules, port, static ip, etc.).

-check port forward rules are in affect for your IP in router/modem. (http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/TP-Link/default.htm)

-you can also check your speeds in utorrent with your security software disabled completely (virus/firewall) to see if incompatibility.

-do a full system scan with your favorite virus software.

Archived