3.3 and 3.3.1 still allocating skipped files

alrik

Hi. I just signed up to post this...

This has been an annoying problem since the beta stage of version 3.3. When you add a multifile torrent through a magnet link and select only some files to download, uTorrent does not use partfiles. Instead it allocates adjacent files that you skipped.

All versions after 3.3.28883 beta have this bug. Even though I have diskio.use_partfile set to true, uTorrent acts as though it isn't. So I'm using build 28883 right now because it's the last version that more or less works in this respect. The extra files just bother me too much.

This behavior is not consistent between magnet links and .torrent files. Skipping files when opening .torrents goes over much smoother.

Also, when you set some files to "Don't Download" in a started torrent, and delete those files from disk, uTorrent still recreates them (with a .!ut extension) if you do a force re-check. It does not want to use partfiles in this case either.

Can anyone confirm this? This bug is pretty obvious. I'm surprised this hasn't been reported before.

• 2 months later...

I'm glad the original issue was fixed a few builds ago, and I hate to bring this up again, but there is still a condition where skipped files get allocated. When I open a magnet link and uncheck Create Subfolder, some skipped files get allocated. This doesn't happen if I let uT create a folder for each torrent. Some torrents have this problem while others don't. I wish I could be more specific, but I don't see what the problematic torrents have in common. It seems to be worse in torrents that have their own subfolders.

When I open a magnet link

Deselecting inside Add dialogue, right?

Cross file pieces.

Shouldn't pref->use_partfile take care of that ? Maybe uT is confused about the location of the partfile w/o a sub-folder?... ;)

Look at the pieces column on the files tab, sort the list by piece number and you will find the files that you DO NOT want are in the same pieces as files you DO want and therefore HAVE to be downloaded.

Yeah, I know about cross file pieces and all that. But the entire file that you don't want does not have to be allocated. The partfiles are where the cross file pieces go, as rafi mentioned.

BTW, the partfiles do get created just fine. And they seem to be the same whether you create a folder or not. And yeah, maybe it is confused about their location for some reason.

Archived