download speed goes up and down all the time

boncuk

Okay, this is not really a speed problem I thought, coz I do get my max speed every now and then, but it keeps going up and down all the time and my internet connection stops totally when utorrent is running and I want to look up things with internet explorer. I don't mean it goes slow, it totally stops and tells me page not found all the time. When I'm not running utorrent, there's nothing wrong with my connection. I called my isp, and they told me everything looks fine from their end. I do not have a router and I am running NIS 2006. Anyone any idea?

Here is my download graph

graph2.jpg

I didn't know I could delete posts myself. Now the other one is gone.

I have changed most of my settings to test things. I have followed the speed guide, tried all the advices, checked my antivirus and firewall settings.... nothing helps stopping this problem.

So here are the basics: max possible download: 800 kB, max up: around 110 officially. But I have tried several settings. At this moment I am trying max 500 down max 50 up. Same problem. I have tried it with very small upload, like 12 kB, didn't help either.

Protocol encryption is enabled, lazy.bitfield thingy is set as true. Changed those a few times to try things out, nothing helped.

Changed the protocol for Norton Internet Security as adviced by another norton user, didn't help either. I tried it with one torrent and with 12, didn't change anything either.

When I download directly from internet, I do not have any speed problems, I reach easily 780 kB and keep that up for a very long time. But as soon I try running utorrent, things go wrong. I have also set my port to 1720 coz I read that was mostly not blocked by isps. And when I called them, they told me they didn't care what I download and how I do it, so, they say, everything is fine from their end. Grrr, I'm gonna eat my socks out of frustration.

Downloading directly from internet is somethink completely different from BT.

You have pretty fucked up with your µtorrent.

use the speed guide setting recommended for 128k (=no more than 1 torrent at a time and so on)

you can use peer lazy bitfield to prevent possible throtteling by your ISP(#). But do not mess around with the settings. The uniqueness of BT makes it essential to obay the settings recommendet for your UL speed. Otherwise you experience this fluctuations because of the overhead of the BT connections.

Edit

(#) if you are a seeder

Dude, no offense, but you do not help me in any way.

I did not fuck up anything. Like I said, I tested things, which means, as in *testing*, I changed them, saw they didn't work, and changed them back to their initial settings. You are not talking to a pc noob. I know what I'm doing. I also changed them one by one, to make sure I had all possible combinations of different settings.

Like I said, I *did* use the speed guide, after using it, I tested even different settings. All these things did not help. So if you have anything new to contribute, I am still waiting and I would appreciate it, otherwise, I hope some others have some ideas to contribute.

NIS 2006 seems to be playing more nicely in general, so I doubt it's the problem, though one can't be too sure.

Try the latest beta (you'll find it lying around somewhere on the forums). If it doesn't help, then yeah, you might have to uninstall NIS just to make sure it's not that that's screwing around with your speeds. If that doesn't help, it might be your modem that doesn't like the amount of connections generated by µTorrent, in which case you should try decreasing the global max connections, or buy a new modem ;P

Thnx for all the ideas. It could indeed be Nis, I will check it out later today. I have already downloaded a free antivirus and a firewall.

I have indeed calculated my speeds in kbit, it is 6400 down and 880 up, well, that's official, but I mostly get 780 KB, while it should be 800 and up is even worse, I get 70-80 instead of 110.

I have called my ISP again and they told me that one possibility is that I have also my phone connection on the same cable, it is also connected to my modem. They told me that that can sometimes reduce max possible connections dramatically but they thought they had solved it already. You know how these guys are, as long as you're paying, nothing is wrong in their opinion. I am considering changing my ISP, I just have a contract of two months left.

Yeah, 880 kbit is official. But with cable it is also a matter of what your neighbours are doing, and when I called my ISP, they did a test and told me there were several people downloading and uploading at that moment. So I guess that sort of affects it too. But I would be very happy with 70 kB, if it would be steady and did not go up and down all the time.

At the moment I am downloading a few very old torrents which do not go that fast and I am downloading at a rate of around 300 kB/s, which is below half of my max download, and I have set my upload limit at 56 kB, even then, I am getting these fluctuations.

By the way, in the meantime I have also removed NIS totally, that didn't change anything either. I have also tried a few other torrent clients, especially BitComet and Azureus. They both had the same fluctuations. And Azureus is almost impossible to run on my system with 1,5 ghz and 512 mb, it just swallows all my memory. So that one was eliminated very quickly. BitComet did not do much better either, it uses much more memory than utorrent and I had sort of the same results.

By the way, I forgot to ask my ISP, but maybe some of you know this too, I got the modem I am using from my ISP, it is a cable modem. Would it be ok if I would buy one myself or is it mandatory to use the modem one gets from ones ISP? Maybe I will ask them next time. I don't know if it could be that, but it wouldn't hurt to try I guess.

Archived