What happens when I "Stop" a torrent ?

Leib

Usually I use PrivitzeVPN but sometimes when I'm downloading torrents which I think are unlikely to be spying for pirates like BBC or ITV shows I'd like to "Go directly" through my own ISP.

If I "Stop" a torrent, is my ISP removed from the list of that torrent entirely or does it still show on the list, but with no activity?

What I'm trying to do is leave up unfinished torrents which need to be (ahem) protected from curious eyes, while, simultaneously having others active which don't concern me as their sources will not be active in my country looking for piracy.

One last edit: I do notice that when I "Stop" a torrent all the other Seeds and Peers who are on the torrent 'disappear' - this is why I was wondering if I am now also 'invisible' to others while I'm in the "Stop" mode.

"Stop" means exactly that! The job comes to a halt

Usually I use PrivitzeVPN but sometimes when I'm downloading torrents which I think are unlikely to be spying for pirates like BBC or ITV shows I'd like to "Go directly" through my own ISP

Not going to happen, ALL of your Internet traffic is either going via the VPN, which still has to go through your ISP's system, albeit encapsulated in a 'tunnel', OR it goes directly through with the packets open to inspection

One last edit: I do notice that when I "Stop" a torrent all the other Seeds and Peers who are on the torrent 'disappear' - this is why I was wondering if I am now also 'invisible' to others while I'm in the "Stop" mode.
You are not 'invisible' when a job is stopped. Trackers have your IP and peer ID cached for the hash ID of the jobs you had running, the only difference is that your client is not actively updating tracker, DHT and PEx.

You all need to 'wise up' on Internet protocols and how you can [sort of] 'hide' the fact that you are using the BitTorrent protocol to steal copyright material, and please, do not pretend that it is not stealing or you are providing a "valuable public service" to those less fortunate.

You cannot hide the volume of traffic you are using, but you can 'disguise' it's 'purpose'. HOWEVER to make this truly effective EVERY BitTorrent user on the planet has to understand the how and why. and judging by the many posts I read here and at other BT client discussion boards I have tried over the years, that is unlikely to happen in my lifetime!

Archived