uTorrent 3.3 "freezing"

aydin1954

I have seen this in 3.3 and only 3.3 with all the builds including the latest available 29420.

At some point (I suspect with a lot of files seeding like over 200) no upload or download activity, several files in different state of flushing to disk and nothing happens anymore. The programs still responds hence the quotes on freezing.

The only way is to exit and go to the task manager as the program exits but not the process and kill the process and restart it. And of course it has to re-check all the files that were downloading.

I have it on pre-allocate and cache managed by the program.

I suspect is a memory leak problem as it seems to keep increasing the used memory but cannot be sure.

Anybody else seeing this? Any clues to avoid it? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Using the "stable" 3.3.1.29963, on XP32

I get the freezing for about 20 seconds every 2 minutes. The only settings I saw about a 2-minute interval is the Advanced > Disk cache > Write untouched blocks. I disabled it, but the freezing continues just like before, every two minutes for 15-20 seconds.

During the freeze, Process Explorer reports the following stack, for the thread that takes 100% CPU:

ntoskrnl.exe!ExReleaseResourceLite+0x1a3

ntoskrnl.exe!PsGetContextThread+0x329

ntoskrnl.exe!FsRtlInitializeFileLock+0x83f

hal.dll+0x2c35

ntdll.dll!RtlReAllocateHeap+0xe85

ntdll.dll!RtlReAllocateHeap+0x83c

ntdll.dll!RtlInitializeCriticalSection+0x31a

msvcrt.dll!free+0x1ae

msvcrt.dll!free+0x1cc

msvcrt.dll!operator new+0xf

uTorrent.exe+0x16f2f

+ 8 more instances of uTorrent.exe+...

During normal operation, the stack is

ntoskrnl.exe!ExReleaseResourceLite+0x1a3

ntoskrnl.exe!PsGetContextThread+0x329

ntoskrnl.exe!FsRtlInitializeFileLock+0x83f

ntoskrnl.exe!FsRtlInitializeFileLock+0x87e

win32k.sys+0x2f42

win32k.sys+0x1b1a

win32k.sys!EngQueryPerformanceCounter+0x5af

ntoskrnl.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0xb78

ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet

uTorrent.exe+0xaa8b1

uTorrent.exe+0xe434

I don't know how to read this, but thought it could help.

Of course this wasn't happening with the 3.2 version I had before.

I have seen this in 3.3 and only 3.3 with all the builds including the latest available 29420.

At some point (I suspect with a lot of files seeding like over 200) no upload or download activity, several files in different state of flushing to disk and nothing happens anymore. The programs still responds hence the quotes on freezing.

The only way is to exit and go to the task manager as the program exits but not the process and kill the process and restart it. And of course it has to re-check all the files that were downloading.

I have it on pre-allocate and cache managed by the program.

I suspect is a memory leak problem as it seems to keep increasing the used memory but cannot be sure.

Anybody else seeing this? Any clues to avoid it? Thanks.

I have almost same problem with version 3.3 (forget build). after staring program starts checking several files and freezes on it. for example - Checked 52% and no other activities for other uploads/downloads. Upgdaring on latest version 3.3.1 didnt help. uTorrent still respons, but no activity for uploads/downloads. I tried to delete some old completed torrents and restart the program (by the way for a long time i have to go to the task manager and kill the process.) after restarting my deleted torrents was still in the list.

Anebody knows how to cure it?

Archived