Slow and log full of entries since upgrade to 3.3 from 1.8

CyborgX

Since I upgraded, speed in general has got worse. The log is also filling up with 2 messages:-

[uTorrent 3.3 (xx.x)]:Got Cancel Unrequested:

[uTorrent 3.3 (xx.x)]:Got Request while choked

When seeding about 50and leeching about 20,messages are coming about 3 or 4 per minute NON-STOP!!!

Occasionally the messages are from older uTorrernt or other clients, but 90% are uTorrent 3.3.

Please can someone explain why I would suddenly start getting these with v3.3 and what I can do about them.

Please can someone explain why I would suddenly start getting these with v3.3 and what I can do about them.

Actually that suggests that is the connected peer that is mis-behaving

Why? Possibly the level of logging your client is higher.

Are the messages coming from one job or one peer?

Thanks but still no explanation of the "Got Cancel Unrequest"

Also why v3.3 should be sending so many. It's not a manual action, and I very much doubt all these people have entered my IP adderesses ( I have 2 load balanced) to be rejected (they are also dynamic so frequently change)..

It must be something in the default settings of the client that is causing it to reject so many of my requests from exactly the same client and version (i.e. uTorrent 3.3)

It is actually "Got Cancel Unrequested" and it means that your client received a 'piece cancel' message without a corresponding 'piece request' message.

Had you read a bit more of the protocol specification such as the queuing section (End Game) it would have become a bit clearer.

General comment. Got to say this if some of you spent a small amount of time getting a basic understanding of the application you are running it might just mean that you have LESS of the annoying "problems" which are mainly caused by not knowing what the hell you are doing, and just 'fiddling' with setting in the vain hopes that it will 'fix' it.

Not wanting to sound ungrateful, but Just pointing to the whole protocol wiki, is like answering "who was adam" by sending a link to the bible.

My DNS servers (Google) could not resolve the link you sent. removing the crap in the link worked eventually. Previous poster's link worked first time, why did you post a garbled link?

Your general comment is rather condescending. I am an IT pro of more than 30 years, and have detailed knowledge of systems and protocols you've probably never even heard of. The fact that I use a program such as utorrent doesn't mean I have the time to learn the detailed ins and outs of every protocol and possible error messages.

I consider that I have more than "a basic understanding" of torrents and utorrent to use them, and do so on a daily basis. However when I have an error message, and/or problems which are not answered by google searches and forum searches I feel justified raising the issue in a forum, since that is what they are for.

I also do not "fiddle" with things I don't understand. There are however on the flip side to that (as with a lot of applications) a lot of very vague explanations in help files etc. which leave a lot to interpretation.

I suggest if you are the kind of person who gets irritable and impatient with people asking very reasonable questions (as is clear by your above statement) that you do not respond to people's requests for help, since you will only piss them off.

I am not against RTFM type responses when they are appropriate, but I am not an employee or even a colleague of yours, I am just a user on a forum requesting help with an issue that occurred when upgrading. Your wingeing totally out of place.

You don't want to help, don't respond.

To get back to the issue.

The link above about "End Game" does not have any mention of the error message, and is totally unrelated to my problem. The problem occurs for torrents nowhere near the "End Game" described by the link.

This could well be a bug in 3.3, but I'd like to hear from some other's here first before reporting it as such.

So should I assume you missed or ignored this bit

General comment.

Before the last paragraph?

I suggest if you are the kind of person who gets irritable and impatient with people asking very reasonable questions (as is clear by your above statement) that you do not respond to people's requests for help, since you will only piss them off.

Nope, I get irritable and impatient with people who seem unable to help themselves, and decide that they need answers spoon-feeding to them rather than doing a little research before asking yet another inane question, and yes my replies are often appear patronising because it is NOT always YOU that is reading the reply, so "dumbing it down" will probably help someone in six months, or a year always assuming that they search first then ask questions later.

AND if I dislike helping people why in [insert deity of choice]'s name would I even bother reading a "help forum"?????

• 2 weeks later...

I faced the same problem. I was using 3.2.3 and it was working fine, then upgraded to 3.3 and the download speed came down dramatically. Out of frustration, I un-installed 3.3 and installed 3.2.3 again, things are back to normal again. I don't want to upgrade as long as 3.2.3 gives me the max result.

There are some youtube videos showing how to tweak settings to get the max out of utorrent.

Archived