hh.exe interrupts .chm files that are being downloaded

wuubblemeister

Compiled HTML files are being used by the Microsoft Windows HTML Help Executable. This gives me an error message in the field on Bittorrent that shows the downloads, saying "WriteToDisk:[blahblahblah]"

To figure this out I had to get a program that monitors processes. Then I looked up hh.exe and learned it's responsible for bookmarks and handling html stuff.

Well, I don't want to disable or delete this file because I like my bookmarks... So is there any way I can get it to stop screwing with the .chm's that I'm downloading? Otherwise, I have to keep opening up Bittorrent and clicking "start," since hh.exe appears to only be poking the files and then leaving them alone, and is not taking them hostage from further download.

I've tried opening hh.exe but nothing happens. Does anyone know at least why hh.exe needs to access the .chm's for a second and then leave them alone? Clearly they aren't finished downloading when hh.exe does this, otherwise bittorrent wouldn't have a problem with it. I also tried looking through the services running in the system configuration window, but I didn't see HTML Help in there.

Does anyone know at least why hh.exe needs to access the .chm's for a second and then leave them alone?

Because hh.exe is the Windows help application and .chm (Compiled HTML) are Windows help files.

To stop it happening set !ut to be appended to incomplete files.

Unfortunately that didn't stop the WriteToDisk error. Something is still trying to use the files. I'm using process explorer and constantly updating the handle that shows the folder. The only thing coming up other than bittorrent is explorer.exe. I killed the explorer process and the problem persists. If I could find a program that tells me every process that HAS used the files in the folder, rather than what CURRENTLY is using the files every time I click search, perhaps I could figure out what process is giving me trouble.

Well, just like all the other process monitors out there, HiJackThis only gives me an immediate update, except this is worse because I get a heaping pile of information.

I need a program that can either select a specific folder and tell me what HAS used it in the past (10, 20, 30 minutes) or something that gives me total control over what processes can use what folders (so then I would make it so only bittorrent can use the folder the downloads are going into.

I have found a solution. I am using the software DoItAgain and simply leaving my mouse over the download. The macro will right click the download every ten seconds and hit start for me. So now I can at least leave the download alone and be guaranteed that it will make some progress. The only downside to this is that I can't download and use the PC at the same time. Good enough for me, though.

Ok! I pin-pointed the problem with the help of a good friend.

Some of the files had the same name but with different capitalization. When this happens, you need to find those downloads and stop one and rename the other or relocate it. I guess this is a Windows thing. What I did was find the files that shared names and relocated one to my desktop.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem! :D

This thread may now be closed! Or whatever... This is the first time I've been here.

Archived