utorrent causes internet crash ONLY at this pc, internal lans fine

tastyratz

Windows 7 amd 5800k machine with 16gb ram and using a pfsense based firewall direct wired.

I have been struggling with a VERY strange issue using utorrent on my desktop pc.

If I download a large torrent which is well seeded and really downloads fast my pc will suddenly dump the internet connection ONLY at this pc and ONLY till I reboot. I can continue to reach this pc from inside the network using rdp, and I can continue to reach my laptop from the internet no issue. Only utorrent DOWNLOADING will cause it to take a complete dump, I can pull down hundreds of gigs over newsgroups successfully with no hiccup and I can seed forever without an issue. Once the download is finished I don't lose the connection again and can start seeding it. If I reboot the pc everything comes back up again for a period of time. I have rebooted this pc for 1 torrent today about 5 times so far and I have a massive one to get in on next week.

I have tried resetting tcp/ip, winsock, disabling/enabling network card and dumping the arp cache while running - still ONLY a reboot fixes it. There is nothing in the event log to coincide with the problem. It isn't grabbing a new IP, the router stays up rock solid.

I have updated the network card drivers to a newer version, disabled avast firewall, disabled windows firewall, changed utorrent settings to recommended settings on FAQ *which* - I had 4x too many connections for my speed tier. Since changing those settings my speed has definitely improved and consequently the problem seems worse!

I searched but think my problem is rather unique to anything I have found. Any good ideas?

I'm having the exact same problem more or less, I'm able to start utorrent but after about 1/2 hour i lose all connection both through utorrent and the rest of the internet but the strange thing is that both my router and my modem tell me I'm fully connected. Once i reboot everything is fine until i start utorrent and go through the same process over again. I have file version 3.3.0.29462

Any help would be much appreciated.

Having similar problem on win7 8GB machine running those clients and 29420.

The PC will go for a while and then crash DNS. It can find other local net resources, but no internet. Windows doesn't notice this happening, but I get DNS errors from ping, chrome, etc..

The router can ping named servers (Yahoo.com, google.com). The other nodes on LAN aren't effected.

Only way to recover is rebooting router.

The problem started with rollback to 28705 due to 29420 problem with magnet links. Before this I could run for days without problems

I can keep uTorrent from crashing everything by severely limiting bandwidth. Even so I am still experiencing this problem.

The PC will go for a while and then crash DNS.

Point the DNS servers to Google's public servers (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) rather than your router DNS cache

This is so. I was thinking about using one Google and one Open DNS, but I couldn't find.

Either way, the current build can get about 150KB/s d/l before it gets stuck now. Better than nothing, but I speed test at about 20Mbp/s d/l and I was getting bursts of as high as 1MB/s before the 3.3 upgrade.

Open DNS servers are:

208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

Thanks Baby. I think I am being overly optimistic about 150 KB/s. I seem to be able to go for about half an hour, then bonk.

I checked on Glasnost and found no evidence of throttling. Router is TP Link Model No. TL-WR1043ND.

I have noticed that when this event happens I get a disconnect/auto reconnect from many SW on another computer. No catastrophic loss like the DNS in the uTorrent machine.

dns resolution still works for me, but traffic fails. I set a public dns host on my firewall instead of the assigned one. Glad to see I am not the only one, maybe it's a new utorrent bug?

I cross posted on pfsense forums thinking it was related to my firewall and not utorrent. A lot of troubleshooting has been done, here's the link:

http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,60917.0.html

If I hard set my traffic limit to 4000kB it seems relatively stable. If I let traffic start getting closer to 6000kB that is when it flips out. That's a 30% speed cut and that sucks on my tracker freeleech week...

To update anyone with similar issues, dropped to uTorrent 2.2.1 Build 25302 (but kept settings) issue persisted.

Tried installing Vuze and seeing if it works. I had the same thing happen on vuze, guess it wasn't utorrent kicking it off just torrents in general.

I since rolled back to 2.0.0.4 and also tweaked my network adapters settings. I disabled both vmware network adapters, then went to config my main adapter - disabled vmware bridge protocol and "AppEx Networks Accelerator". I think the AppEx piece was my problem, looks like it stems from something called "AMD Quick Stream Technology" - an AMD QOS shaper that must have come with my motherboard driver pack.

Since then I have downloaded 1 Terabyte and not had a single crash while before I couldn't break 20gb at times. I hope this helps someone else ripping their hair out. Mystery solved in my case.

Archived