Importance of Anonymous Downloads: Do we really need it?

Rubikk

I recently found that there are a few paid security applications for protecting your identity while downloading torrents. I have lots of questions about them. For example:

-Do they really work?

-Are we really being tracked? I mean, there are millions of people downloading the same torrents. So why in the world would a person alone be tracked and sued for copyright infringement?

-What is the importance of these then, now that above possibility has been ruled out?

Thanks.

Downloading copyright material is the equivalent of stealing CDs from HMV.

Only if you're ignorant of the law, and of reality.

Bit of a difference between removing a limited quantity physical item, thus depriving someone of it; and infringing a monopolistic right of near-exclusivity on something with unlimited quantity.

That's why it's treated as 'copyright infringement' and not 'theft' (although theft charges would be preferable, since they're much harder to prove, and have much lower penalties)

• 2 weeks later...
Well' date=' basically downloading torrents is downloading copyrighted material illegally, isn't it?[/quote']

Nope, there is plenty of GENUINELY free material, public domain material or GPL material that can be downloaded and shared with alacrity.

For example? (Sorry, I'm a newbie)

• 3 weeks later...
Well' date=' basically downloading torrents is downloading copyrighted material illegally, isn't it?[/quote']

Nope, there is plenty of GENUINELY free material, public domain material or GPL material that can be downloaded and shared with alacrity.

For example? (Sorry, I'm a newbie)

Or indeed anything I've put on The Pirate Bay

Archived