Port forwarding/ Port triggering Help!

Maliketh5

I know this looks like a lot to read but please, please read it and help me, I'm desperate.

Ok, right off the start I wanna say that i'm not the type of person that doesn't even look stuff up, and just asks for people to do it for me. Believe me when I say I have been searching, googling, youtubing, and faqing for about 10 hours today, to no avail. I have literally read everything I could find on opening/forwarding/triggering a port for utorrent. I have even gone to the site that offers guides based on modem/router models, but mine isn't listed. I'm not lying when I say I almost broke down in frustrated tears many times today :(. Everything im able to tell you now, I have read or seen in a video, but I could only get so far, and now i'm stuck.

But here is what I need help with. My router/modem is a Netis model WF 2411, and has different tabs when I go to 192.168.1.1. It's different from others I have seen in other guides on this. It has a DMZ tab, and yes I figured out how to work that, but I would rather not use that, because I read it opens you up to easier intrusions and virus attacks. I need to know how to forward/trigger a port for utorrent. I found the port used for incoming connections under utorrents connection preferences, which is port 15129. But I have no idea how to make use of it. I need to know what to put where, to make this work. I'm gonna be as specific as I can. When I get to 192.168.1.1, there are 13 different tab things I can click on (Status, Quick setup, WPS settings, Network, Wireless, DHCP, Forwarding, Security, Static routing, QOS settings, Dynamic DNS, System tools, and About) and I know what I need is obviously under Forwarding. In Forwarding, there are 5 sub-tabs (Virtual servers, Port triggering, DMZ, UPnP, and FTP private port) and in the Virtual servers tab, it looks like this: Description:

Internal Host IP Address:

Protocol:

External port: 12345 - 12345 <- that was an example, not whats actually written there

Internal port:

Now, this is what the Port Triggering tab looks like;

Predefined Trigger Rules: Select one of the predefined rules GuruGuru,BuddyBuddy,Enppy,Pruna TCP,Pruna UDP

Rule Name:

Trigger Protocol: TCP UDP

Trigger Port: 12345 - 12345

Forward Protocol: TCP UDP

Forward Port:

So this is what I need help with, I don't know what to put where, but I do know a few things i'll need to fill in places, like: I know my host IP, and the port used for incoming connections in utorrent (15129). I just need help with the rest. I would be soooo appreciative of any help you guys can give me.

Triggering fails, use forwarding.

I still don't know how to use forwarding on my Netis WF 2411 modem, It doesn't have a seperate tab for forwarding, or at least it's not called that, it's called either Virtual server, or Port triggering :(. And it also looks different (refer to example in my post above) from other ones i have seen in guides.

Edit: Well I messed around with the UPnP on my router, and disabled it, ran utorrent network test, port was closed. So I unchecked the UPnP port maping in utorrent as well as the NAT-PMP port maping, ran test, and port still not open. So then, I enable my routers UPnP, and check my utorrents UPnP port maping box, run the test, and boom, port is open. I seriously have no idea what I just did. Because I just reran the test to make sure it was still open, and it's not open again *sigh*.

Manual forwarding for your router would have been called virtual server.

Ohhh, ok, so thats what it is. Ok, now that I know I have to use the virtual server tab thingy, how would I go about doing that? Because it looks like this :

Description:

Internal Host IP Address:

Protocol: (this has a whole list of stuff like: ALL, TCP, UDP, HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, POP3, SMTP, DNS, TELNET, IPSEC, PPTP, Windows Terminal Client, GuruGuru, H323 VoIP Phone, and Soribada)

External port: 12345 - 12345 <- that was an example, not whats actually written there

Internal port:

I just don't know what to put in here to make it work. Like I know my port for utorrent is 51639, (I just changed it to make sure it works, and it's a good port) and I think the Internal host IP address is my own specific IP right? And I can put whatever for Description right? I just basically need to know what to put in the spaces above to get it going. I already put exceptions for the 51369 port in utorrent in firewall, both TCP and UDP, so I have that done, I just need help with what to put in the Virtual server stuff.

virtual server would be external port 51639, internal port 51639, your computer's internal IP for host address, whatever description you want.

Okies, what should I put for protocal though, cuz i'm not sure what to put, all? And once I do that, and get it all saved, I should be good to go, and after I run the Utorrent test it should say port open, right?

Edit: Oh, and would I need to do anything with the Utorrent preferences to make it work? Like unchecking Enable UPnP Port mapping, and Enable NAT-PMP Port mapping?

All, BOTH or "UDP & TCP" depending on how your router words the choices.

ah, okies. Now then, before I test the network in Utorrent, is there anything I should change in the Utorrent preferences? Because I have the Enable UPnP Port mapping, and Enable NAT-PMP Port mapping boxes unchecked, cuz I was tinkering around with it before I actually knew a little of what to do xD.

manually forwarding negates the need for UpnP and NAT-PMP, as they are both methods that uTorrent can use to automatically set port forwarding if the router support the use of either.

Ah, okies, I unchecked em both. Just did the test, and it said UpnP or NAT-PMP were unchecked, so I checked UPnP, reran the test, and boom! Port is open, and I looked at the preferences where UPnP and NAT-PMP check boxes were and they were both unchecked, so I think im good to go :D. Oh, 1 last thing, should I disable the UPnP on my router? cuz I heard it might cause problems with the port forwarding if I leave it on.

Edit: and crap, the port is not open again *sigh*.

Edit: and crap, the port is not open again *sigh*.

Turn off port randomising.

Ahh, xD I got it working now, it says port is open and everything, but for some reason my download and upload speeds are really horrible now. Like they fluctuate between 1kb/s to a max of 15kb/s. I took that ISP throttling test, and it said that there is no throttling of Utorrent going on. So I restarted my modem and router, and my download and upload speeds were good again, (dl of like 600kb/s ul of like 120kb/s with 31of 127 seeds and 23 of 56 peers) then like 3 hours later, I come back, and they are back to what they were before. Don't know if I should put this under troubleshooting, but im gonna go ahead and post it there since my port open is solved.

P.S. Thanks for all the help guys, I really do appreciate it, your the best :D

Archived