utorrent 3.3 won't save settings

hippiemaster

Hi, I have recently updated to the latest version and I've noticed that I apply certain settings but after restarting utorrent these settings are not saved. I have observed this with "confirm when deleting torrent", "confirm when deleting trackers" and with the pop up to rate the torrent at deletion. Although I tick the appropriate boxes and click apply and ok, nonetheless at restart of utorrent some of them change. I haven't figured a pattern yet. It might be a bug. Any advice appreciated.

I have windows 7 x64 & utorrent 3.3 (29544).

That's why I think it's a bug

No, a true 'bug' is something that can be recreated under a given set of conditions, so as this problem does not appear to be reproducible

sometimes the settings are kept, or some of them at least,
it is best described as a 'glitch'.

If you can determine the conditions and others can verify that it also happens to their client, it then becomes 'fixable', until then it is probably something unique to your machine.

I have observed this with "confirm when deleting torrent", "confirm when deleting trackers" and with the pop up to rate the torrent at deletion.

You are correct, these settings don't get saved and this has been reported. "Confirm when deleting trackers" setting does get saved in 3.4 Alpha but I'm not sure about the others.

• 3 weeks later...

I updated to 3.3.29609 and then to 3.3.29625 but the issue of certain settings not being saved is still there. I've also noticed that the "restore down" size keeps changing to its maximum, something that was not happening in previous versions.

Finally, I'd like to ask if the "start minimized" function is working only when utorrent is set to start with windows, because although I have it enabled (and "start when windows starts" disabled), it always starts maximized.

Thanks

Get all your settings files (*.dat) copy them to where your exe is located, and try again. Better yet with 3.3.1 and my settings... ;)

I am not sure exactly what you mean. Do you mean to copy settings.dat file from utorrent roaming folder and place it into utorrent folder in program files? Do I have to delete it from the utorrent roaming folder? And is there any other file I should copy as well (eg settings.dat.old) ?

Thanks a lot.

What I did: I copied dht, dht_feed, resume, rss & settings .dat files from utorrent roaming folder to utorrent program files folder. Then closed utorrent and restarted it. The settings were not saved. Put back the desirable settings and restarted it but the settings again are not saved. Particularly the "confirm when deleting tracker" and the "restore down" size (at restart it is always maximized). Any other suggestions or corrections of the steps?

the settings again are not saved. Particularly the "confirm when deleting tracker"

There is nothing you can do about this, as I already posted it is fixed in 3.4 Alpha. I think failure to save a couple of UI-related items is relatively minor compared to other problems uTorrent now has which are not being corrected.

There is nothing you can do about this, as I already posted it is fixed in 3.4 Alpha. I think failure to save a couple of UI-related items is relatively minor compared to other problems uTorrent now has which are not being corrected.

jsillup is right. i tried all the solutions proposed by rafi (except installing 3.3.1) and they didn't work. The aforementioned issues are bugs. At the moment I don't want to install alpha or beta versions as they are not accepted by some private trackers. Thanks for the suggestions.

--2013-04-24: Version 3.3.1 (build 29594)

- Fix: Save settings for related tab and confirm when deleting trackers

Bugs are a fact of life... You fix if in *new* releases, you don't maintain old releases forever.

That fact that BT do that - is working against both the users and them selves. Spend resources to patch old stuff, and delay the new stuff. Just not enough resources for proper job/testing for both. Not good... :(

Hi. I've read Hippiemaster's posts, as well as the replies to them. In other words, the entire thread. I have the same problem: Noticing that I was not uploading any of the torrents on the joblist, I went to Setup Guide and ran the tests. The Bandwidth indicated Sydney, Australia, and when I ran the test, it marked this location with an "X." So I changed it to something else (I tried three settings and all of them "worked," ie, the upload speed was set, etc. However, when I clicked on "Save and Close," nothing happened. When I reopened the Setup Guide, I found that Bandwidth still displayed Sydney, Australia. Did this more then 10 times (persistent), always the same results. I tried restarting the computer, same result.

And it will do that EVERY TIME because the 'location' isn't based on what you chose previously, it is based on the location suggested by "Measurement Lab

If Measurement Lab merely suggests, but not SETS it, presumably one can set it oneself, which is what I did. However, as I've said previously, this setting is not saved. When I run the tests again, the Bandwidth is immediately marked with a large red X, while the Network is marked with a large green check mark.

If you're right that Measurement Lab is the only one that can reset it, how do we tell them to reset it? The error message says that there is no such location as Sydney, Australia. Right now, we are stuck with an unchangeable, non-functioning location.

Archived