“Move .torrents for finished jobs to:” - function is inconsistent?

BigChicken

- XP-SP3, with every Windows update & Security Essentials

- uTorrent 3.3 (build 29544)

- I’ve read various similar threads, but I think reviving them with my use-case specifics will just cause confusion.

I setup uTorrent (Options / Preferences / Directories) to download files to [c:\My Documents\uTorrent\], then when done to move the completed files - and torrent - to the subdirectory [c:\My Documents\uTorrent\_Done\]. Firefox for some reason won’t auto-feed to uTorrent so I just save the downloaded .torrent files to c:\temp – and uTorrent (if launched) is smart enough to see that and auto launch the file on it’s owe, so, I also have the checkbox to Delete the original downloaded .torrent file – which deletes that from c:\temp, after it’s copied to my designated uTorrent working directory.

Marvelous! Easy-peasy. Right as rain. Life is so good with uTorrent. The problem is about 20% of the time the torrent file is not moved when completed, so clutters up the download base directory with historical torrents. (The shared/completed/downloaded files migrate fine.)

Surely this is a bug, but it’s been around though for the last few updates, so maybe my exact setup/use-case is an outlier. I’ve tried the standard of resetting the preference config, and even uninstalling/reinstalling the app. Nor do I see anything unique about the non-migrated torrent naming methods.

The last torrent that did not migrate: (again – the completed files DO migrate successfully):

Formula.1.2013.Bahrain.Grand.Prix.Gear.Up.for.Bahrain.HDTV.x264-W4F.mp4.torrent

However, this one created by the same uploader migrated upon completion just fine, within the same app session:

Formula.1.2013.Bahrain.Grand.Prix.Team.Principal.Press.Conference.HDTV.x264-W4F.mp4.torrent

Both were downloaded to c:\temp and uTorrent was already running so loaded them the same.

Also – I’m unable to find the obvious workaround – to just manually move the completed torrent. I don’t see how to do that. I’m thinking of (..cough..) Vuze, where you could just right-click on a completed torrent line-item and “move” them (along with its associated files, completed or not.) I’m not seeing that uTorrent function. I suspect I’m missing it somewhere.

So what I’m doing is just deleting the whole torrent + data to remove the inconsistency (kind of like how I must line-up my peas in perfect order before I can eat them) - but then I’m not being a good citizen and seeding. Not cool. Time to address this.

1.) I ..assume this ~20% thing is a bug. Is it a known bug? What’s the scoop?

2.) Where is the “move” function that I must be missing?

Thank you for info!

(And thank you uTorrent app crew!! I am NOT complaining here – I’m just looking to be a better seeder.

and uTorrent (if launched) is smart enough to see that and auto launch the file on it’s owe

No it's not, it will ONLY 'autoload' from the location you have designated as the autoload location.

I don’t see how to do that.
Try right click -> Advanced -> Set location.
I suspect I’m missing it somewhere.
It's explained in the user manual!

Screenshot of Preferences -> Directories needed.

Try right click -> Advanced -> Set location.

The correct location is already setup in preferences, and the FILES are already there. Changing this just moves the file(s) around only. The torrent is still not migrating/movable.

Screenshot of Preferences -> Directories needed.

22691023.jpg

What happens if you have separate locations for the .torrent files and the data rather than having them intermingled?

I tried that before, but when I switched it back to the directory I wanted, I got the ~20% random problem again.

However, I just tried it again for double confirmation, and a couple migrations-upon-completion to a new subdirectory worked fine for the torrents, then I changed preferences back and – so far – new completed torrents are now migrating fine. (Yeah – it’s the unrepeatable bugs that are the worst.) I’ll report back when and if it happens again.

The only thing I can think of use-case wise is that I had changed the directory preferences around a bunch – one at a time – before settling on my ..“architecture”.

Regarding manually moving the non-migrated torrents, what a cluster fck. I tried various methods of stopping the seeding then manually moving torrents back into the correctly associated data directory, and trying to force-recheck, but things would seem fine but then when I shut down uTorrent and opened it again the related line-items were all ~“Error: torrent can’t be found”, so I ended up trying to change every variable available to reassociate, but no-can-do - and just had to delete everything manually – both in uTorrent and the disassociated torrents and data via Explorer to clean everything up.

Me not so smart.

It’s amazing how perfectly simple Vuze is by comparison: right-click “move data”, AND, right-click “move torrent” (or whatever the wording it), or just reassociate data and/or torrents you’ve manually moved for whatever reason.

In my very short experience these are the only two hiccups, otherwise uTorrent is as flawless as it is ubiquitous.

But apparently this lack of migration functionality has been the case in uTorrent for years, so … there must be larger fish to fry.

Again – in ANY case – I just very much appreciate the free app.

But apparently this lack of migration functionality has been the case in uTorrent for years, so … there must be larger fish to fry.

You are missing the whole point behind uTorrent, it was/is meant as a client with LESS FEATURES to keep the running footprint small.

If you want a client with lots of "features" then RUN ONE with those features!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived